Vietnam SEA Games

Discussion in 'South East Asian Games 2003' started by seven, Oct 29, 2003.

1. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    NSTP - SEA Games/Badminton: Chang-Chew get warning

21/11/2003

S.S. Dhaliwal

Chang Kim Wai and Chew Choon Eng have to prove their worth at the SEA Games or they will not feature in the Thomas Cup qualifiers in February.

The warning came from doubles coach Yap Kim Hock, who believes the duo have been given enough chances.

With the Thai Open in January the only other event before the qualifiers, Kim Hock is fighting against time to get a second pair ready.

“Time is running short and we need to get the second pair sorted out as soon as posible,” said Kim Hock.

“I will pay special emphasis on them before the SEA Games to get them at their best.”

Meanwhile, Badminton Association of Malaysia president Datuk Nadzmi Salleh, said Malaysia will not expose juniors at the SEA Games.

“One of the main reasons why we cannot do this is because we do not have capable players in the back-up squads,” said Nadzmi at a sponsorship signing ceremony between BAM and 100PLUS POWER.

100PLUS POWER will provide BAM with an annual sponsorship of RM225,000 for the next five years towards the national junior circuit.

2. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    The Straits Times Interactive - THE SEA GAMES

24/11/2003

Silence about golden target

The word 'gold' is taboo for the favourites for women's badminton titles

By Peh Shing Huei

IT IS a four-letter word that is taboo to Singapore's shuttlers. But, when the time comes to use it, they will gladly shout it out.

The four-letter word? Gold. And they are not about to be presumptuous because of one inescapable fact: Singapore's last badminton gold at the South-east Asia Games was 20 long years ago.

Yet, when they arrive in Ho Chi Minh City on Saturday, they will be the favourites to swipe the women's badminton individual and team golds.

Sure, there are some stumbling blocks like the Thai and Indonesian teams. But, for Singapore's return to high standing, the bigger fear is the schedule.

For they are overly dependent on Commonwealth Games champion Li Li, Asian Championships bronze medallist Xiao Luxi and Jiang Yanmei.

Can their bodies take the punishment of stepping on court twice a day, up to five days at a stretch?

Remember how Jiang stumbled at the Indonesian Open after playing both singles and doubles?

Remember how Ronald Susilo won the Commonwealth mixed team silver and then succumbed to little-known Robert Vaughan of Wales in the singles?

Said Susilo: 'It's okay on the first day. But it gets worse on the second and third days. You feel weaker, your concentration drops.

'Once that happens, you can't execute your shots and there goes your game plan.'

However, the Singapore Badminton Association have no choice. The squad is small: only five players, including Liu Fan and Tan Li Si.

Said Jiang: 'It will be tiring but we have been training for months.'

The gamble is worth taking, for Singapore have waited 20 years since Wong Shoon Keat beat Hastomo Arbi at the Singapore Badminton Hall to win a gold.

Since then, the closest were bronzes by Zarinah Abdullah in 1993 and the Zarinah-anchored women's team in 1995.

And that is about it. Badminton golds are usually the property of world giants Indonesia and Malaysia.

Singaporeans scrape for less glittering medals, and could not even raise a decent women's team for the past two Games.

It might be different this time. With a bronze already in the bag, the SBA have raised their target for the women's team, albeit to a silver.

Despite being seeded first, including Li Li in the singles, everyone is shying away from talking about gold.

Their reticence is surprising - as if being confident will jinx the team.

They received a bye into the semi-finals, where they are likely to face hosts and novices Vietnam.

Only after that will the real battle begin: either against Indonesia or Thailand for Singapore's first women's badminton gold.

Said national coach You Guangli: 'The good draw is an impetus. But we are not going to take things easy. We are gunning for a silver now.'

Added SBA executive director Jacqueline Lim: 'We are on par with Indonesia and Thailand. We don't want to underestimate our opponents.

'We are in the open and they are in the dark. They can study our players in competitions, while the only thing we know about the Vietnamese girls are their names.'

Besides fatigue, Singapore's Achilles heel could be the doubles.

While the Indonesians have the World Championships semi-finalists Jo Novita and Lita Nurlita, and the Thais have world No 13 Saralee Thungthongkam and Sathinee Chankrachangwong, Singapore do not even have a stable doubles pair.

Still, they are hoping to turn that to their advantage by surprising their opponents with their pairings.

Asked who she will be playing with, Jiang replied with a diplomatic smile: 'I can't tell you that.'

Added Lim: 'How our doubles will perform is a mystery to us - and to our opponents.'

It is likely that a weak pair in the first doubles will be sacrificed for a stronger second pair capable of bagging a point. More importantly, whoever plays first in the singles must deliver.

Said Lim: 'We are banking on our three singles to deliver the points because our doubles are comparatively weak.'

Li Li is expected to earn the first point. She will face either Thailand's Salakjit Polsana or Indonesia's Maria Kristin in the final.

Li Li beat Kristin in straight games at this year's Asian Satellite, but Polsana will be tougher.

The Thai edged out Li Li at last month's India Satellite 9-11, 11-9, 11-9, but lost in straight games during last year's Asian Championships.

Second singles Xiao's poor recent form is a worry, but the steady third singles Jiang should deliver.

Said Liu Fan, who will be playing only in the doubles: 'If we win the gold, I will run round the stadium with the flag.'

Finally, someone courageous enough to use the four-letter word.

3. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    New Straits Times - Badminton: BAM: Athens gold the priority

K.M. Boopathy

Nov 24: WINNING gold in next year’s the Athens Olympics next year is the BA of Malaysia’s (BAM) prime target but that does not mean that the association is taking the Sea Games lightly.

In the presence of world class opposition from Indonesia and Thailand, BAM president Nadzmi Salleh said that winning gold in the Sea Games is not an easy task and he wants the team to achieve outstanding results in Vietnam.

Indonesia will send their men’s back-up shuttlers to the Sea Games and although this has opened the door for Malaysia to sweep the men’s singles, doubles and team gold, the ever cautious Nadmzi has warned the players not to be complacent.

"Athens Olympics is our prime target as we have never won a gold at the highest stage before but the Sea Games is equally important, Although Indonesia are sending their back-up players we should not take them lightly," said Nadzmi.

"Indonesia are mentally strong and they will never give up. Our players might be favourites but they must fight all the way for success.

"We cannot send back-up players to the Sea Games as we do not have the depth. Indonesia can as their back-up squad is almost as good as their seniors."

Despite a clear advantage in the Sea Games, Nadzmi said that BAM will retain its target at one gold as he does not want the players to be put under unnecessary pressure.

The Sea Games squad members and coaches are looking forward to better Malaysia’s two-gold haul in Kuala Lumpur in 2001.

In the Kuala Lumpur Games, Malaysian won the team gold beating a strong Indonesian squad while Roslin Hashim captured the men’s singles gold.

This time round Wong Choong Hann is tipped to win the singles gold while Malaysia are likely to prove too strong for Indonesia and Thailand in the team event.

Based on their current form, Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah should also end Malaysia’s eight-year gold drought in the men’s doubles while Chin Ei Hui-Wong Pei Tty are also in the running for the women’s doubles gold.

4. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    The Star Online - Last chance for Roslin to end title drought

25/11/2003

BY RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR: Shuttler Mohd Roslin Hashim hopes to end his two-year title drought with a successful defence of the SEA Games men's singles title.

At the last Games here in 2001, Roslin ended Malaysia's 28-year wait for a men's singles gold, beating Thailand's Boonsak Polsana in the final.

Since the SEA Games victory, Roslin's career has been a roller coaster ride, sparking suggestions that the Nusa Mahsuri shuttler had gone past his prime.

The 28-year-old Roslin is not seen as a frontrunner for the gold medal in the Vietnam Games. The badminton competitions will be played in Ho Chi Minh City.

But Roslin said that no one should write him off.

“I want to win the title again to boost my morale after going through two years without a title to show,” said Roslin, whose highlight this year was reaching the semi-finals of the All-England and Danish Open and the quarter-finals of the World Championships.

For the Vietnam Games, faster and aggressive players, among them Sony Dwi Kuncoro of Indonesia, Ronald Susilo of Singapore, Boonsak and Roslin's compatriot Wong Choong Hann, are seen as the better bets to win the title.

“Based on current form, Sony, Choong Hann and Boonsak will be the favourites,” said Roslin.

“But Ronald is also a strong contender They are all aggressive players and have done well in international tournaments. But I am determined to get the better of them.”

Roslin is tipped to reach the semi-finals and he is down to play the winner of the match between top seed Sony and Boonsak.

“I have beaten Boonsak in all three previous matches. But his recent form has been excellent.

“I have not played against Sony but he is the current Indonesian number one and no one gets it easy against him,” said Roslin.

“Choong Hann has a better draw to reach the semi-finals.

“He will probably play against Ronald in the semi-finals. Choong Hann is in top form and I am sure he is very determined to win his first-ever SEA Games gold medal.”

An indication of Roslin's determination to retain the title is his decision to skip the Hari Raya celebrations with his family in Kota Baru.

“I was given a two-day break but after weighing the pros and cons, I have decided not to go home.

“I felt that it was better that I continue training,” he said.

But Roslin will join a do at the home of Nusa Mahsuri president Jalani Sidek in Taman Tasik Titiwangsa here, where he is currently staying.

5. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Bangkok Post - Thai chances looking good after draw

26/11/2003

Wanchai Rujawongsanti

With the draw conducted in a straightforward manner without any ``conspiracy'', there is reason for Thai badminton officials to believe that their players will take home up to four gold medals in a sport which has only seven categories.

The draw was made recently and witnessed by Charoen Wattanasin, president of the Badminton Association of Thailand, who has long campaigned for transparency in the sport.

Charoen, himself a former top player in the world, expects that Thailand will win four golds in the men's singles and doubles, women's doubles and mixed doubles. But critics say Prof Charoen is very brave to set such a high target.

Thailand won only one gold medal at the previous SEA Games in Malaysia thanks to their female ace Sujitra Ekmongkolpaisarn, who is ruled out of the Vietnam Games due to a long-term injury. Indonesia continued their dominance in Southeast Asia winning four golds last time, while hosts Malaysia bagged two.

Doubles pair Pramote Teerawiwatana and Tesana Panvisavas are Thailand's best hopes. Ranked No 8 in the world, the Thai pair are the top seeds and the men to beat in Vietnam.

The duo, who receive a bye in the first round, are expected to meet Indonesia's Alven Yulianto Chandara and Lulux Hadiyanto in the semi-finals.

It could be an all-Thai final if Phattapol Ngensrisuk and Sudket Prapakamol hit their top form. The pair, ranked No 13 in the world, have defeated opponents from Indonesia and Malaysia lately.

In the women's doubles, Saralee Thoungthongkam and Sathinee Chankrachangwong have been playing well and are the world's 11th-ranked team.

Only Jo Novita and Lita Nurlita of Indonesia are ranked higher than the Thais at No 10, and they are slated to meet in the gold-medal match.

In the mixed doubles, world No 17-ranked Sudket and Saralee are the top seeds. Their most dangerous opponents are Anggun Nugroho and Eny Widyowati, the second seeds from Indonesia.

Salakjit Ponsana, 19, is not expected to win the gold medal in the women's singles. However, experts believe that she could go all the way as only Singapore's Li Li has a higher world ranking than the Thai.

If Salakjit, seeded second, meets top seed Li in the final, the Thai teenager could have a psychological edge over the Singaporean who was defeated by Salakjit in October.

The chances of Salakjit's brother, Boonsak, who is the world's No 21 and is unseeded in the SEA Games, are not so bright. There are a number of good players from Indonesia and Malaysia awaiting him and he should be happy if he can progress to the semi-finals.

The Thai men, seeded second, are handed a relatively easy route to the team final, as top-seeded Indonesia and Malaysia are in the other half of the draw.

``The men team will certainly reach the final,'' said Thailand's coach Sompol Kukasemkit.

6. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    NSTP - Badminton: Gold Hann-ting

26/11/2003

S.S. Dhaliwal

TRYING to remain consistent is Wong Choong Hann’s biggest challenge throughout his career.

Now, he is going to face it again at the Vietnam SEA Games next month as he tries to ensure that the singles gold medal stays in Malaysia’s grasp.

After Roslin Hashim broke the stranglehold of the Indonesians by winning the 2001 Kuala Lumpur edition, Choong Hann has a golden chance to make it back-to-back.

But despite being given a favourable draw, he knows that it will be an uphill task.

This is because he has problems peaking in a short space of time and it is no different this time around.

Having won the Taiwan Open and making the final of the China Open in successive weeks, Choong Hann will once again have to come out with something spectacular at Ho Chi Minh City where badminton is held.

In the past, Choong Hann used to take anything between 12 and 16 weeks before he could peak again.

But strong performances at Taiwan and China have renewed the 26-year-old’s confidence that he can go all the way.

“I used to have a problem of peaking within a short space of time and this had affected my performance,” said Choong Hann.

“But thanks to some analysis by coach Misbun Sidek, I have worked on the areas that I needed to improve upon.

“Being consistent is the key to success and this has been a bane to my career.

“My performances at the Taiwan and China Opens have proven that the improvements I have made are working.

“However, I will not allow the success to go to my head and will redouble my efforts to ensure that I win the gold medal.”

Choong Hann is expected to face third seeded Ronald Susilo in the semifinals and the southpaw is determined to sweep aside all who stand in his way to land the elusive gold in Vietnam.

7. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    New Straits Times Online - Badminton: Chong Wei to grab chance

K.M. Boopathy

Nov 26: BEING part of the Thomas Cup squad is one of Lee Chong Wei’s priorities next year and he wants to make a strong claim by helping Malaysia to the team event gold in the Sea Games.

Chong Wei made the Sea Games squad only after Hafiz Hashim was ruled out due to a wrist injury 10 days ago, but the national grand prix champion wants to make the most out of the opportunity.

Chong Wei will be playing as the third singles in the team event and the 21-year-old player from Penang realises the importance of his role as a good performance should also gain him a place in the Thomas Cup squad next year.

Malaysia will be hosting the Thomas Cup qualifying rounds in February while the final round will be held in Jakarta in May and Chong Wei wants to compete in both events.

"I am very fortunate to be in the Sea Games and I have an important mission. I must do very well in Vietnam and that will put me in a good position to make the Thomas Cup squad next year," said Chong Wei.

"Since this is my first appearance in a senior team event, it will be good experience and my target is to win all the matches.

"I am looking forward to the match against Indonesia and it will be a great start for me if we can beat them."

Wong Choong Hann and Roslin Hashim will be competing in the individual events and will also start as the top two singles for Malaysia.

In the much anticipated Malaysia-Indonesia semi-final, Chong Wei could decide the outcome of the match where he will play against Simon Santoso in the third singles.

There is a likelihood that the match might be level at 2-2 where Chong Wei could turn out to be the hero.

"I do not want to imagine such situations. If I am fielded against Simon, I am confident of a win.

"It will be good if my victory can take us to the final."

Malaysia defeated Indonesia 3-2 in the 2001 Kuala Lumpur Sea Games, clinching gold after a lapse of 10 years.

Chong Wei could be first time lucky and more importantly, his aspirations of making the Thomas Cup squad could also receive a major boost if he does well in Vietnam.

8. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Thailand seems to have overlooked a few potential players in their assessment. The ones that I mean are Liu Fan and Xiao LuXi for WD, Malaysia's Wong Mew Choo in WS, Chin Ee Hui and Wong Pei Tty for WD....

The potential gold medalists, I think, are:

MS: Wong Choong Hann, Ronald or Roslin. (Choong Hann first choice)
    MD: Choong and Lee, Pramote/Tesana or Luluk/Alven. (Choong/Lee first choice)
    WS: Li Li, Mew Choo, Salakjit or new Indo girl - sorry forgot her name. (Li Li first Choice)
    WD: Liu and Xiao, Chin and Wong or Saralee. (Thai pair first choice)
    MX: Not sure, Sing/Thai/Indo/Mal all possible. (Indo pair first choice)
    Men's team: Malaysia or Indo, more depth. (Malaysia first choice due to diluted Indo)
    Women's team: Singapore or Indo, more depth. (Indo first choice)

From what I see, I think Thai's claim of 4 gold medals out of a possible 7 is unlikely. If anything, Singapore is the one to surprise. Perhaps the Thais are making this assessment based solely on current world rankings instead of in depth current knowledge of the situation. 1 - 2 gold is a more down-to-earth prediction. Don't forget, SEA has 2 out of the 5 so called badminton power nations, to lay claim to more than half is a little too optimistic.

9. SmartCivet

SmartCivet Regular Member

SOFTWARE ENGINEER
    I think who you mentioned is Silvi ANTARLINY, a potential goold player!

#29 SmartCivet, Nov 26, 2003
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2003
  10. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    New Straits Times Online - Badminton: Stingy OCM, BAM deny women

K.M. Boopathy

Nov 27: THE Olympic Council of Malaysia (OCM) and the BA of Malaysia’s (BAM) lack of foresight in excluding the national women’s squad from the team event has likely cost Malaysia a chance of clinching their first team gold since 1975.

Based on track records, OCM only selected Wong Mew Choo for the singles and Wong Pei Tty-Chin Eei Hui for the doubles but did not entertain BAM's request to send a full squad for the team event. BAM had also listed Wong Miew Kheng, Woon Sze Mei and doubles pair Fong Chew Yen-Norhashikin Amin but they did not get OCM's nod. OCM, perhaps not taking into consideration that Indonesia and Thailand have opted for newcomers in their respective squads, was not convinced with Malaysia's past record in the team event as they have not won since 1975. However, BAM should also shoulder the blame as the association was not ready to fund the four shuttlers, citing financial constraints despite getting the OCM greenlight to do so. BAM secretary P. Ganga Rao said they did not expect OCM to exclude the women's team from the Sea Games. "We were hoping that the squad would get the greenlight but OCM based the selection on current performance," said Ganga. "We could not include the four players as this meant we had to come up with additional funding." However, OCM had promised to reimburse the national associations if their athletes clinch at least a silver in their respective events. BAM's reluctance to fund the players means that they were not confident Malaysia would reach the final and this has probably denied Malaysia the chance of creating history by winning the team gold for the first time since Indonesia became part of the Sea Games in 1977. Coaches Misbun Sidek and Cheah Soon Kit did not wish to comment on BAM's decision but said that there is a realistic chance that Malaysia could have won gold. "There is a chance of winning the women's team gold as the players have improved. Indonesia and Thailand are not as strong as they were before," said Misbun. "Indonesia, Thailand and Singapore have an equal chance of winning due to the absence of Malaysia." Soon Kit said that Singapore are virtually assured of a silver as they are seeded No 1 and could even become the surprise winners and felt that Malaysia could have surprised if they were selected. Singapore have finally acquired the services of their Chinese imports Li Li, Xiao Luxi, Liu Fan and Jiang Yanmei and could win their first ever badminton gold in the team event. Indonesia, without seniors Lidya Djaelawijaya, Vita Marissa and Deyana Lomban, are in danger of losing their gold as they meet Thailand in the semi-final. Singapore have an easy ride into the final as they are expected to meet Philippines in the last four. Malaysians are favoured to win the men's singles, doubles and team gold and an additional gold in the women's team could have given them their only chance to dethrone Indonesia in the Sea Games. Unfortunately, the women's shuttlers have been denied their chance of glory by OCM and BAM.

11. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

BAM or OCM or whoever is responsible for the terrible state of Malaysian women badminton. I hold them accountable for all.

It is so utterly shortsighted of them to exclude the women, very very shortsighted is all I can say. Ganga Rao does not strike me as a very convincing person, he has not done a lot of things he set out to do.

12. Sandy

Sandy Regular Member

Men's team : Malaysia
    Women's team : Indonesia (They lead in WD and they have hidden power in WS, Silvi Amtarini & Maria Kristin)

MS : Wong Choon Han (Another challenge is Sony if he can make big up set)
    WS : Li Li (Another challenge is Silvi Amtarini. Very bad decision from INA Official that not signed in Maria Kristin in WS individual).

MD : Choong/Lee (Another challenge is Pramote/Teesana)
    WS : Jo Novita/Lita Nurlita (Another challenge is Saralee/Sathine)
    MX : Anggun Nugroho/Eny Widiowati (Another challenge is Thai Pair)

13. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    NSTP - Sport: 22nd Vietnam Sea Games Roundup/Badminton: Wong in right frame of mind

The Malay Mail SportsTeam (05/12/2003)

BASED on current performance, Wong Choong Hann knows he is in the right position to make amends for his defeat in the final of the 1999 Brunei SEA Games.

The national No 1 badminton player is hungry for success after winning the recent Taiwan Open and reaching the final of the China Open two weeks ago.

As one of the favourites for the gold medal in the singles, Choong Hann has shown tremendous improvement in his performance.

Before the defeat in the final of the China Open, he had won 12 consecutive matches.

It has been a long time since he was on such a hot streak.

His best achievement so far in the recent months was beating world No 1 Chen Hong of China.

But Choong Hann, the gold medallist in the 1998 KL Commonwealth Games, does not want to get carried away with the current success as he believes the Vietnam Sea Games will be a different stage all together.

“I’m in a good position after the recent success but I’m not taking anything for granted.

“I have targeted the gold since the Brunei Sea Games and I believe this is the right stage for me.”

Choong Hann, however, will face tough challenges from Indonesia’s Sony Dwi Kuncoro, Singapore’s Ronald Susilo and Thailand’s Boonsak Polsana.

These three players are capable of spoiling Choong Hann’s aspirations.

In the 2001 KL SEA Games, Choong Hann, then playing the third singles, was the hero when he delivered the winning point in the team event final against Indonesia.

Indonesia had taken a 2-0 lead before Malaysia made a most historic comeback to win 3-2.

It also ended Malaysia’s 10-year-wait for a gold medal.

National coach Misbun Sidek said that Choong Hann is in the right frame of mind to win the gold.

“He did a great job in the past three weeks during training and it’s now time to deliver.”

Malaysia will start their team event campaign tomorrow in the quarterfinals as they received a bye in the first round. It will be a repeat of the 2001 final as Malaysia are expected to meet Indonesia who play Laos in the first round.

14. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    NSTP - Sport: Vietnam Sea Games/Badminton: I'm not over the hill

Fariq Rahman (05/12/2003)

ROSLIN HASHIM will be out to prove his crictics wrong in the Vietnam SEA Games beginning tomorrow.

But the pressure is mounting on Roslin, who has found titles hard to come by.

Nonetheless, one could see his determination and commitment during training yesterday at the Tan Binh Sports Centre in Ho Chi Minh City.

Two years ago Roslin ended a 28-year wait by winning the singles gold in the KL SEA Games. Datuk Punch Gunalan won it last in the 1973 Singapore Seap Games.

Roslin was also part of the team who won the gold in the team event.

Since then, Roslin has yet to win a title.

This is not a good record for the 28-year-old Roslin who many describe as over the hill.

But this doesn't bother him because he believes he will make a comeback starting with the SEA Games.

"I admit there was nothing to show since the KL SEA Games but I aim to change all that," said Roslin.

"Now is the time for a comeback and I'm also thinking of the Thomas Cup qualifier in February.

"I feel the pressure but with my experience, I will prove my critics wrong.

"It is tough but I want to repay the coach's (Misbun Sidek) faith in me." Roslin and Wong Choong Hann will be competing in the singles.

Choong Hann and Indonesia's Sony Dwi Kunco are the favourites for the gold but Roslin doesn't want to think of them.

In the opening match, Roslin seeded fifth, takes on Philippines Kennevic Asuncion.

Roslin is expected to make the semifinals where he will face Dwi Kuncoro.

Roslin wants to win the gold medal for his younger brother Hafiz who was ruled out by a calf injury.

Misbun said Roslin is ready to carry the Malaysian challenge for gold.