Wanted: pics of cracked js10

Discussion in 'Broken Rackets' started by DuckFeet, Jan 15, 2017.

1. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Appreciated, thanks. I don't blame him for not sharing. When I start making serious bank from this process I'll delete this thread :D

Edit: new dremel attachments arrived early from china In the post today. I'll try to be less aggressive on the grinding today.

[​IMG]

#61 DuckFeet, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  2. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are after about an hour of:
    Dremel
    Hand file
    80 grit paper
    1200 grit paper - can't find my 400 or 600.

Looks good to go. Weight balance side to side is horrible.

It now weighs in at 73.7g. Arse. It was 74 stock with grommets so I might have gained 1 gram once i add them back. Definitely not worth doing the full wrap as I have. Unless I go for another layer. I probably won't.

Just waiting on drill bits and I shall string it. I reckon I'll want thick string so I'll go for maybe 25lb on the crosses. I can't decide if I'd rather try painting it or testing it first.

3. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    And here's why we use wetted tow. Made a big old mess drilling the holes from the inside out. Luckily I need to add a final coat of epoxy and this should be sorted by that.

[​IMG]

4. Slade

Slade Regular Member

It's like it exploded from the inside :eek: Definitely looks like some dry fibers there.
    For some reason I stopped getting email notifications for this thread, anyone else have that issue?

KelvinChan likes this.
  5. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I think you're the only sub... It's a lot flatter now I've re-glued it.

In fact, I've been out in the garage again doing the final grinding, drilling and epoxy coat. I'll need to re-drill the epoxy to install grommets. It weighed in at 71.5g bare so I think I'll put that down to a wonky garage and ignore. 73.5 or so as it stands, still dubious. I'll be happy with 75 once grommets are in. There were still a few pock marks, including one ambitious attempt at drilling a hole in the wrong place (need to sort out a drilling template) so epoxy as a final layer is a good call. I am considering doing the same on a racquet that i have removed the paint from.

I mostly used a hand file and 80 grit paper, but some dremel use for an all over roughing and getting the high spots down. The side to side balance according to spin test and balancing on a corner is PERFECT. well chuffed. SO now we wait another 48 hours and I'll see how it plays with a modest 24lb for an easy mixed match.. Maybe it will have 28x30 later for a serious test by a serial string and racquet breaker to see which caves first. Hopefully the string.

I'll do some pictures when it is dry. Aaaaaand then again when it collapses into a heap on court.

6. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    bare: 74.4g Started at 74.0 or 74.4. Surprising. I didnt measure BP though.
    Dry (with 2 layers G08 inplace of stock grip) and grommets added: 83.0g 300mm
    Want to match: 88/310. So it's pretty close if I use a really thick string. I've got NS880zti lined up.

7. Slade

Slade Regular Member

Yeah I can't believe all that carbon and resin didn't add more weight to it.

8. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I've ground/fiked it down to stock frame size for 90% of the repair so it kinda makes sense. Didnt really want to make a fat, lazy jetspeed. But I could do...

9. Slade

Slade Regular Member

I had a random idea for possible future repairs. If it's a break all the way through a frame so that you can pull the frame sections apart enough you could get some heat shrink tubing, slide it onto one side of the frame away from the break, laminate your repair, then slide the heat shrink over it, heat it up with a heat gun or hair dryer to shrink it down. That should create a very compressed repair, and the heat would help cure it. Once cured cut and peel the heat shrink off. Make sure it's not adhesive lined heat shrink.

10. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    22x24lb bottom up. RIP. The frame bulged between the side supports to the point of cracking as I was on about 7th cross.
    Project on hold for now. Next attempt will have to result in a much thicker frame as I think my mistake was to return to stock frame thickness. Potentially also having most of the strands going round and round instead of lengthways as Slade said. Grinding off so much of the frame was probably also bad. I cannot tell if the frame cracked at the same weakpoint here it cracked before. Now If I do the OTHER JS10 and just add a bulge where it broke then I'd know. One for another time.

Its a bit of a shame, but I'm kind of relieved that now I have no excuses for not just sticking to one model of racquet and getting used to that. I can use my lunchtimes to run footwork drills in the garden intead :)

11. Slade

Slade Regular Member

Too bad that it didn't hold after all that, but I think you understand why. Next time bulk it up.

12. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Next attempt should hold. When the grommets sank at 26lb the frame held up mostly. So angle of wrap seems vital like you said. So maybe the trick is to peg the gromets and then reinforce round the holes.

13. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Due to nice weather I'm giving this another go. 1st layer wrap is going lengthways enough to go in every other grommet gap. Second layer to go round like applying an overgrip. That should give the structural strength overall and round the holes. I'm also going to do my 2 smaller repairs. I'm also going to leave the frame chunkier than a stock js10.

Waiting on 30minute epoxy as 5 minutes makes it a frustraing process!

14. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Latest effort holding well so far. It was cracked but not broken through, bowed under 24lb previously but I've just done 24 and it's solid. There are a couple grommet holes that I thought would sink but they haven't. I reckon its good for 26+

The one pictured previously doesn't feel so solid when manhandling the frame but it doesn't have the outer coat of epoxy yet. I'll probably stick 24lb on that too to gauge how strong it is in terms of how much the frame can take compared to how much gove there is. It completely collapsed in 2 places previously and I think I remember it feeling quite flexible under hand pressure.

I think 30 minute epoxy is the way forward.

I've also done another racquet that was broken clean through. I cannot pull the two sides apart now but the repaired area does feel like it bends more under pressure than thebother side. It only needs to hold about 20lb so that's probably worth trying to string.

15. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    RIP js10 #1. Didn't do a good enough job of the wrap (rushing with 5min epoxy) and ground too much off. I've kept the shaft in case I can reclaim the js9 head in the Frankenstein parts bin.
    Also the all-the-way-through test broke too. I've got more 30 min epoxy and tow so I might have another go at the through and through fix another time.

16. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    [​IMG]

Looks pretty cool I think.

Slade likes this.
  17. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    So it survived half a session. I'm not sure I like wet 315bp (87g though), but there is some nice punch on smashes when caught right. Feel wasn't ruined and it was moving well. I think I'll call that a success. Since I'm happy with medium-low tension I might just try to sand half a gram off the top, as its still quite lumpy.

Slade likes this.
  18. Gavin97

Gavin97 Regular Member

[​IMG]

Broken JS10 near the racket Head on the shaft. (Broke after a smash)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#78 Gavin97, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  19. Gavin97

Gavin97 Regular Member

IMG_0830.JPG

Another broken JS10 at 3 different places on the frame (racket swung into any player's arm)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Ouch. How was the player after that hit? Its not gone in the usual place at 3/9 o'clock as all the others i have seen - they broke on mishits I believe. In a clash all bets are off.