Was the umpire fair?

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by limsy, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Winnie Lim1314

Winnie Lim1314 Regular Member

yup...is better if they are more humble..

2. badadum

badadum Regular Member

1 bad call shouldn't determine the flow of the match. There's no guarantee that KKK/TBH can win the 2nd set even if they lead 18-17. Was the overrule a mistake? Definitely. Was it done out of malice? No freaking way!

3. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

It was unfair. But to be fair Kido/Setiawan were the better players tonight. Now please stop Cai/Fu and get the gold medal!

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    FUZZY logic

by then, logic tells me fuzzy will be #1 MAL MD pair.

5. kenny7_2006

kenny7_2006 Regular Member

Working student...
    hey hey pals, dont get too heated... be careful.. sure, im also frustrated like u guys and gals, but let's look at it in a positive way... KKK-TBH have a chance in 2012, experienced and older, if they dont get split up... and this reinforces calls for hawkeye systems to be used...

congrats 2 Kido-Setiawan... they played well, and didnt seem affected by their winless record against KKK-TBH before this...

as for the topic, the umpire was easily swayed, so question of fairness doesnt come to mind in this case... he was swayed by Kido's complaints....

6. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    2012 is.... so far away....

So... far... away....

I wonder if the Olympics will ever come to Malaysia...

7. mybdmworld

mybdmworld Regular Member

Yes, you're right. Absolutely sportive, no need to blame anyone on that match. The Indo pair had just played better than KKK/TBH, and that's it. The malaysians was just unlucky and next time should be much better... learning from the past is important now.....
    Let the past be the past and move on

Now, let's see who will take the crown....who will grab the gold?

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i doubt that kkk and tbh would stay as a MD pair by then

9. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    Cooler, you are such a bad boy... are you implying that they may become a XD pair by then? Just Kidding...:p:D:D:D

By the way, I have a feeling that X Ball is already among this thread and using a different login name here... I may be wrong, but there is the possibility.

#29 bananakid, Aug 13, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  10. halvepizza93

halvepizza93 Regular Member

begging
    as i stated in another thread, the winner of this match:D

11. kazami

kazami Regular Member

Sales
    To every one what Camera use for the camera show the shuttle is out right why the empire say is in ?

12. Pharaoh

Pharaoh Regular Member

Technologist
    There are a few people here making fun on other's sorrow. They think that they are wise enough to take everything easy. Thats because they were one of those who shared the disappointment together with the players before, when they lost. Slowly they learn not to take things seriously, because they are afraid that they might be hurt again. It is actually ok to show some emotion because that shows that you have a pure heart, and still have passion for the game and the players. Lets hope for the best for LCW tomorrow. And don't care or react emotionally when people making fun on your reaction. Badminton is Malaysia's only hope for Olympic medal for the time being, we know ourselves and thats why we put high hopes on our players.

13. uncle_peanuts

uncle_peanuts Regular Member

student of badminton
    i thought the game would be closer than it was, KKK/TBH really should have closed out that second game when they had the chance.
    relating to that 17-17 call, it should have gone in favor of the malaysians but what can you do? you live with it and try to adjust. too bad KKK/TBH couldnt cope.

like many have stated here, the better team won today.

14. msianshuttler

msianshuttler Regular Member

photographer
    KKK and TBH did what they could

My feeling is they didn't play with enough urgency. If they did, one bad call like that wouldn't have mattered.

They needed to come out winning the first game. I didn't see them at any point show some sense of having control over the game.

Easy for me to critique but I'm sure they feel bad, so let's just root for Lee Chong Wei.

http://insidebadminton.blogspot.com/

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

rexy gave kkk/tbh a chance over fuzzy even tho Fuzzy were improving day by day in 2007 and 2008

16. d65up2

d65up2 Regular Member

Student
    Actually in terms of scores is 2-0 to Malaysia....Taufik lost to Chong Wei in AE we say nothing.....Well We win once they said we are cheating...where do we find money to bribe umpires??? exactly....All Indonesians....I suggest we defend our pride

17. Woody

Woody Regular Member

Its time some people here got a life!!! There are far to many personal insults which should either be deleted by the Moderators or at least edited.

I have not seen the match and it doesn't really matter if I did or not.

If the Umpire called a fault then he must have thought it was one or he would not have called it. He may well have consulted with his Service Judge who may have indicated a touch.

When the shuttle is hit at something like 250-300 kph you try and see it correctly 1000% of the time.

As I suspect most of the posters were not actually present in the hall when this happened and the Umpire and Service Judge were certainly closer to the action I would suggest that it is left at that.

BWF have been looking at using Hawkeye but its introduction into badminton is certainly not imminent if ever.

999 times out of a 1000 the line judges get their calls right and if not then the Umpire can over rule only if they see call is clearly wrong.

For the off times that it is called incorrectly, well I'm sorry that is life. It happens in all sports at all levels, you have to live with it.

If you think you can do better either as an Umpire or a Line Judge then do feel free to approach your respective National Associations and make enquiries. All Countries suffer from not enough people volunteering yes I said volunteering to become officials. All Technical Officials undergo training and continuous assessment throughout the time they are on Court and if they get it wrong continually their ranking as such goes down and they do not get to officiate at the higher levels.

A European Umpire at this years TUC finals in Jakarta was being assessed to become BWF Acredited/ Certificated and failed because in the Andrew Smith match against an Indonesian player was not yellow carded for a particular matter, although he was yellow carded later in the same match. His assessor stated that he had failed to exercise sufficient control of the match at an early stage

For those who may think I do not know what I am talking about I am an Umpire (not qualified for this standard) and an International Line Judge.

18. headphones

headphones Regular Member

I agree w/ uncle peanuts , if we recall AE2008, LYD/JJS made an amazing comeback in the rubber against LWW/CTF, despite a terrible linecall against them (also leading to LYD's funny outburst :p)
    So really, they should have not let that bad call get to them, and focus on winning instead of that.

19. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

What's the point of this thread?
    I thought MAS MD reacted well to the umpire's decision and should be proud of how they handled the situation and just moved on.They may have lost but that's because INA MD played better.It was a good match; high class MD level.Probably the best of the 4 MD QFs.
    Congrats, MK/HS! It's great to break the 'egg' finally and at no better time.
    For KKK/TBH, take heart, you still have fantastic badminton in you and we are richer for that.Believe, persevere and never give up.No matter what, you're still great.
    Meantime, mods ,if this thread is gonna be stuffed further with ridicule,it's senseless and should be closed.

20. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    Somehow, I remember the match between KKK/TBH and the Japanese pair this year, and at one point, the shuttle hit the net and landed on KKK/TBH side, yet the umpire gave the point to the Malaysian pair... hmmm... I didn't remember anyone posted a thread complaining about that particular BAD RULING at all!!!:rolleyes::eek::eek::eek:

I guess that only means "what goes around, comes around SOONER OR/AND LATER"