Was the umpire fair?

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by limsy, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Morten

Morten Regular Member

Indeed a hawkeye would be better. However it will problary not be implemented into the sport for quite a while.

And to all these topics "why x lost to y" or "wasnt fair x lost to y" or "why did he wear green socks when he could wear red" please stop it, I know you are passionate about your countrymen, but please still try to analyse and discuss it in a objective manner :D.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i am OK with the existence of those threads as long as they are used to, as you said, analyze and discuss in an objective manner.

however, if passionate fans uses them as a place to find excuses and/or make up ridiculous excuses for their players, then they will start to become rather pointless.

3. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    Unfortunately it's almost impossible to implement Hawkeye for badminton -
    for tennis and cricket it's based mostly on the physics of a ball - which is a infinitely simpler to model than a shuttle.

On top of that - even in tennis they only have it on the most important 1 or 2 courts.

Dealing with bad calls is part of the game, once fans start to realise that the world will be a much quieter place ;)

4. winzerer

winzerer Regular Member

Couldnt agree more....:cool: Thats why i said it is ridicilous and quite annoying:confused:about this thread

5. Felix.

Felix. Regular Member

Post of the day!!!
    Killing a person and giving a bad ruling is apparently the same now.
    Petition to jail the umpire?

6. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Hehe, why don't they lynch the SJ in the WD KOR v JPN match at the same time ;):D

7. Felix.

Felix. Regular Member

and not to forget the crowd who chanted LIN DAN when he was not playing! ;)

8. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Welcome back to the Medieval Ages...;):cool:

9. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    To all who talk about the cost of hawkeye, I think a solution will be to use video umpiring.

Think about it, all the equipment already available, even from the normal broadcast one could determine whether it was in or out. An extra umpire, a 'video umpire' would just be needed and called upon to review the tapes and make a ruling.

It isn't that expensive is it?

10. badadum

badadum Regular Member

The umpire himself can review the tape, no need to bring a special umpire to do the task. I like the idea of giving a set # of challenge to each side to review questionable ruling.

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    yes, i would go with that route as well, it is cheap and will resolve 95%+ of bad calls.

12. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    course it's expensive.. and also - depending on what angle the shuttle fell relative to the line it could look liked it clipped the line one way, and not the other...

the camera's couldn't be your bog standard tv cameras - they'd have to be pretty high speed ones too,

i think allowing the umpire to overrule when he feels the call was clearly wrong is justified and right, i've never whinged on this board (or any other) when an english pair have been wronged by the umpire. Time for some fans to grow up, there's being passionate, and there's extremism - the latter should have no place on this board.

13. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    No, normal TV cameras can be used. In rugby, hockey, cricket etc etc VIDEO UMPIRING is used. Badminton, KEEP UP!

14. crazlunatic

crazlunatic Regular Member

there's 2 ways,
    u can have 1-3 super high speed cameras
    or 5-8 cheap cameras

15. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    The cameras don't need to be operated, they can be fixed & Referee operate all of them to view replays.

One camera for net will cover all

I don't see a problem with only having this on the main court. In tennis it works like this.

I specifically said it doesn't have to be hi tech. Yes there will be problems, but you need progress. Nearly every other relevant sport has implemented some sort of Video replay.

Should we abandon Linejudges and referees and give more prize money to players? Let the players decide in or out?

16. xymaerts

xymaerts Regular Member

Bad line Call !

Can u see that? The umpire override 2 line man decision in LCW vs Sony's match... I hope bad line call will not happen in this Olympic Game

17. vching

vching Regular Member

Student

Hear hear!

Totally agree!

In the spirit of that, an article I wrote during the Lin Dan racquet throwing saga:

The recent unfortunate incident involving Badminton Men's Singles World Number 1 Lin Dan's outburst in Seoul clearly signals for a change in the Badminton World Federation's (BWF) adjudication system. The allegedly biased line calls, that subsequently caused much controversy in the badminton community obviously needs to be addressed to suite the growing demands for accountability and fairplay from not only the player, but badminton fans worldwide.

Understanding that the BWF has limited funds and resources, as this has been the reason given by the BWF for not wanting to install the immensely popular 'Hawkeye' system, the solution might lie in using and manipulating existing technology. Taking a leaf out of the sport of Cricket, which have implemented the 'Third Umpire' adjudicating system, where a disputed line call can be reviewed by another umpire by using video replays, the BWF can easily modify the existing technology to improve the adjudication system. If viewers in front of the television watching the badminton broadcast can clearly see whether the shuttlecock landed 'in' or 'out', it shouldn't be an overly tedious task for another umpire to do so.

Additionally, the BWF can follow what the Tennis Authorities have done, which is to give each player a set amount of incorrect challenges. The fine details, I am sure can be easily implemented and decided by the BWF.

During the Copenhagen Masters Men's Singles Finals last year, there was a disputed line call that went against Danish number 2 Kenneth Jonassen when he was playing Danish number 1 Peter Gade. The shot was replayed instantly on the big screen T.V. on top of the umpire, and the linesman's call was obviously wrong. If this call was to be corrected, Kenneth Jonassen would have won the second game. Peter Gade proceeded to win the second game, and hence, the match. This is a perfect example as to how existing technologies can be manipulated to help improve the integrity of the game.

In a time where badminton's popularity is being threatened worldwide, both from a Olympic point of view and a funding point of view, this is a step the BWF should take to preserve not only the integrity in the game, but the interest. We have witnessed how immensely popular the 'Hawkeye' technology has been with Tennis fanatics. I believe by taking this step, the BWF will 'kill two birds with one stone' by one, restoring confidence in the players and the badminton community, and two, popularising the sport.

First it was the China Open in 2007 where it was alleged that disputed line calls caused Lee Chong Wei the title. Now it is the Korean Open where it also could have caused Lin Dan the title. The BWF have to do something before both the players and the badminton community worldwide lose faith in the integrity of the system.

Article: The Badminton Blog - A Solution?