WC 2005 Arena wind problems

Discussion in 'World Championships 2005' started by yuval_ba, Aug 20, 2005.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

I want to add a couple more..
    I was also helping doing the Press Media translation for the match between Taufik and LeeChongWei, and Taufik said, in the first set, he decided to choose the side of the court with the draft that goes against him. That helped as he was able to take advantage of it.
    I think by now, Taufik has learned and gained some knowledge on the draft condition and how to take advantage of it.

Also, after Nova/Lilyana's match ended, they also mentioned about the court condition and how they had to get use to it, esp. in the 3rd set.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i was supporting the Thai team when they played Zhang/Gao.... ;)

i was supporting them today as well. but sigh... so close, yet so far...

3. streamyx

streamyx Regular Member

In that case, mean the venue is not suitable. Can we said, if we don't have an indoor stadium and we pick and open air stadium for badminton tourament?? cool...

4. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator

don't blame the wind... LCW could win againt bao with the same situation, maybe bao also blammed the wind :)

5. yuval_ba

yuval_ba Regular Member

plz read post #21, it seems Taufik addmited it himself !!
    again, not saying he could not beat LCW, but it's just a shame it was not purely with his badminton skills

6. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    If the changing of ends makes a difference, that means it matters. Notice that Xie lost the first game and trailed 3-6 from the 'bad' end. What if she played from the good end first?

That means the toss of the coin has some measure of importance, when there shouldn't.

7. streamyx

streamyx Regular Member

U can said so. So, what i want here is QUALITY of play...Don't u think that, a quality n interesting match play a major role in badminton's sport??

8. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I think Taufik would have won in normal circumstances today (or yesterday). But this thread is not about blaming the wind for whose win or whose loss. It is about blaming the wind for the general bizarre things that happened. Taufik would probably have won the first set anyway. But LCW getting just 3 points, a big part of it is due to the wind, making the game unattractive.

And yes, maybe Bao lost because of the wind.

There has been speculation that Ronald Susilo got injured due to it as well.

9. streamyx

streamyx Regular Member

Well, if u really watch this match, m sure u won't said so. LCW is too fast for Bao. And Bao is not able to keep the pace from LCW. That is why he lost, did he Bao said because of wind he lost?? No, but Taufik admin he had advantage becuase the wind is agaist him.
    China coas Li Yong Pou said, in this WC. Who manage to handle the wind situation will the champion. Do u want this in badminton?? No, i believe all of us here are fans of badminton with passion. We want quality, skillfull and interesting match. Right??

10. taufik-ist

it administrator
    taufik was againts the wind, LCW had to take advantage, by attacking, smashing and collected points. i think LCW's mental was not ready to qualify to wc final

11. streamyx

streamyx Regular Member

yap, maybe give him more time. Overall he is still only 22 years old. To correct you. Taufik had said, he chose the court with against the wind and hold the advantage. Not LCW take advantage, as he will send the shuttle out if there is wind

12. taufik-ist

it administrator
    also he must gain more weights , he looks skinny :)

13. wiyang

wiyang Regular Member

wow, isnt this thread about wind and not weight? :p
    anyway, i guess drift is a problem, though a player should really learn how to adapt with it, esp after so many days of competition.
    taufiq was playing really well yest and he deserved the victory, though it hurts me to say so... hai....

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

regarding the wind issue, i was at the press media conference today and heard the interview done by both LinDan and Taufik. Basically according to LinDan, besides his bad start which lead him to his demise, the wind was a bit of a factor for him in the Final also. Heard also that coach LiYongBo mentioned about Taufik choosing and taking advantage of the wind by selecting the same court he played on in the SF against LeeChongWei(playing against the wind in the 1st set).
    Apparently the winner of this tournament *indeed* took advantage of the A/C draft.

#34 ctjcad, Aug 22, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2005
  15. viver

viver Regular Member

Well, I don't know how much the wind affected the results, only the players themselves know.

Personally I believe the wind affected the results. I think LD is not as resourceful as Taufik to overcome the situation as the latter is better in overall skills. A good win for Taufik and should be a well deserved one.

16. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    I spoke with one of the Canucks that played (G. Bury for those who know him) there and said the drift was as much as FOUR FEET and it was also inconsistent. ( i.e swirling).

Sounds like it was a brutal place to play.

17. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    Most of Taufik winners came from Net shot winners. Lin was outplayed, no excuses... LYB can go to h***

18. yuval_ba

yuval_ba Regular Member

I thought at least they could have placed wind sleeves to show the wind direction :D

19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1st, don't get me wrong, I am a Taufik fan rather than LD.

However, LYB does have his point. The game should begin with fairness to both sides. Come on, this is WC, the highest lvl of badminton, and this is the final match. If we all know 1 side of court is better than the other, then the fact indeed is there. Imagine u go to play a basketball game, only to find 1 side the basket is smaller than the other??? :rolleyes: Or, 1 side does not clearly marked with the lines?

Of course, Taufik did play well. However, I still hold up a lil question, as if Taufik ended up in the worse side, and only saw several of his sure kill went wild due to the wind, can he really hold up his temper? If LD gets the good side in 1st set, and "saved by the wind" on several rallies, will he be blew out like that? Questions, questions, questions....

Btw, I am not saying LD will win if he has the better side. I just say, it's 1 of the many factors in a relative blown out game. Even if it might just be 1 out of the many many, it is the FACT as LYB metioned.

20. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    The fact is LIN LOST TO TAUFIK, both player played on different court and Taufik won in straight set fair and square.

What you and LYB are telling me as that Lin cracked down because he started with the bad court? C'mon you gotta be kidding me, when Taufik played on the bad side he struggled in teh beginning but overcome this and WON it like a champ.

I recall it, Taufik really owned Lin Dan on the net.

The wind factor was just an excuse...