WC 2005 Arena wind problems

Discussion in 'World Championships 2005' started by yuval_ba, Aug 20, 2005.

1. viver

viver Regular Member

Suppose the wind was really a factor... Would it affect more clears or net play?

I wouldn't say Taufik did not deserve to win. Overall I think he is a better player than Lin Dan, but I would assume under those circumstances Taufik's style is maybe less affected. :confused: Like most people say, a prestigious event like World Championships shouldn't be played in a place considered less than ideal. Imagine playing the Ice Hockey finals on grass...

2. sac_man

sac_man Regular Member

Engineer
    you guys are really funny!, instead of analyzing the game, now everyone talking about the court.I think t

I don't really care for both of these players, but if we watch the same game, yesterday, Taufic was on Lin Dan from the very beginning, and wasn't going to let Lin Dan to develop his attacking game plans, beside Lin was making to many mistakes on net play ( unforces errors).

FYI: the greatest Single player is Rudy Hartono, whom I had the oppurtunity to meet and to chat with for few minutes on last saturday.

3. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Some excuses are valid. What if the dog really ate my homework?

The draft excuse could mean that "the opponent got used to the draft better than me" (nothing wrong with this statement, is there?) instead of "the draft made me lose to him".

4. nevhirion

nevhirion Regular Member

Trainee
    I think the original point of this thread is to admonish the windy conditions in a world-class event, but it turned into a debate on Lin/Taufik :D :confused:

It is surely a serious problem, how often have you seen so many players misjudge the shuttle's flight and let it drop way in? I have never seen so many occurrances of this in other events.

5. viver

viver Regular Member

Well, you mean the next World Badminton Championship should be played on the beach:rolleyes:.

I don't think anybody here doubts Taufik's ability and deserved the trophy.

But this is the World Championships and please remember many players worked really hard to be there. This event should be held in a place that offers the ideal environment for the players to show all their abilities. After all they are the main characters for this show and should give them the best.

As an aside, the World Junior Badminton Championships held here in Vancouver was no better, in my opinion - here the players were sitting next to me and warming up in the middle of everybody. As a third world sport it does not deserve better, I think.

FYI: the greatest singles player is Tang Xin Fu, whom I had the opportunity to watch playing. Not only great as a player but also as a coach. This is not to provoke you, but only to show the difference in opinions.

6. spohl

spohl Regular Member

Professional badminton player/coach
    Yeah i can agree on that four feet statement and the inconsistent. It was very difficult for me to adjust in my matches at the world championships. Granted, I don't have that much experience at super huge stadium tournaments but I didn't have any problems at the swiss open and I had to completely alter my tactics and style based on the conditions. Now i've heard at major tournies there is always some wind factor but i think this was very drastic.

Shannon Pohl
    www.shannonpohl.com

7. wwcbro

wwcbro Regular Member

I do think it is a damm shame that some winning/losing ( esp. crucial points) depends on your ability to adapt to the wind. So does this mean Taukfit adapt better than Lin Dan? I have no idea..But one fact remain, Taukfit Hidayat is 2005 World Cup Men Singles Champion.
    Maybe Punch Gunalan should be more on top of these kind of problems...then the fashion trend of the ladies player :D