We need people to play at the San Jose State open gym!

Discussion in 'USA West' started by Zclyh3, Sep 14, 2004.

1. chubbycu

chubbycu Regular Member

theres no point going to sjsu gym..theres no competitio nthere..you shoudl go to BINTang instead...atleast you'll get some good games in...

2. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Do you go to Bintang? If so, when do you go?

3. gustamanh

gustamanh Regular Member

Engineer
    After reading so many comments, i think i would try it for tonight.

4. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    There are 3 pages discussing about playing in SJSU that I'm too lazy to go through all of them. I don't know if anyone has already mentioned about parking problem. I know SJSU is open to public to play badminton, but to play there, either I have to pay to park in the gargage or park in the nearby residental area and walk to the gym. Correct me if I'm wrong, I always have a feeling that during non-school hours, the SJSU's neigbourhood is not a safe area. I will be worry if I have to walk in the dark for 10 - 15 minutes to pick up my cars. How do other people playing in SJSU solve the parking problem?

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it depends on the time of the day.

when i used to go there, i usually park in the SJSU lots.

i know that during day time, there is a small chance of getting a ticket. that depends on your luck.

however, i usually go in the evening and i have never gotten a ticket before.

YMMV....

6. O.Z Chi

O.Z Chi Regular Member

Aircraft Mech
    Isn't there free parking in the city lots after 6pm?

7. yummy73

yummy73 New Member

QA
    this coming weekend?

Does anyone know if there will be open gym this coming weekend at SJSU? I called the Associated Students office and they claim that there is no open gym for badminton until next month. Is this true? Is another organization hosting the open gym? What is the schedule there?

8. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Parking at SJSU

Ther is some free 3 hour parking on 4th street (between the new library and the old YUH gym). The metered parking is also free after 5 or 6pm (Mon thru Sat). I don't know about th situation during the week, but on the weekend the parking garage near San Carlos between 3rd & 2nd street is free of charge on the weekends. All the metered parking spots on the street are also free all day Sunday (& holidays).

9. Novice

Novice Regular Member

SJSU Schedule

Where do you check the SJSU schedule? Is there a web site? I don't want to drive 20+ miles and discover that the gym is closed.

Is it possible to play pick ups or do people always come with friends?

10. O.Z Chi

O.Z Chi Regular Member

Aircraft Mech
    We've been there for 3 weeks on Sundays now and it seems like it's a good bet that it'll be open. I know one of the instructors there, Dr Chen, he was my self-defense course professor back when I was taking classes at SJSU.

It was pretty crowded today, but nowhere near as crowded as SFCC on Friday nights.

11. Novice

Novice Regular Member

Does anyone know their schedule? Opening times and closing days? Sat, Sun only, or do they have some weekdays available, too?

12. donutmaestro

donutmaestro Regular Member

Sales/Student
  13. Novice

Novice Regular Member

14. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    Weekend schedule

Don't know why SJSU Campus Rec does not include the weekend stuff in their schedule. BANC used to keep their schedule posted own their own web site. I don't know if Dr Chen ever had his stuff posted. Dr Chen uses SPX-44-B only on (most) Sun afternoons (not sure of his hours; 2pm til 5pm???).

Kevin Zeng use SPX-44-A on both Sat & Sun from 12:30 to 9pm and the older YUH gym on Fri evenings (6:30pm til 10pm, I think). Also on Fri nites SJSU Campus Rec uses SPX-44-A from 7 to 10pm, but charges a dollar more (for non-students) than Kevin does.

Since BANC is is no longer involved w/SJSU, your best bet is to get on Kevin's mailing list at: kevin@vsconline.org

He sent out an email earlier this week indicating that he will not have open gym this coming Sunday, the 21st.

15. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    Pick up games at SJSU

Don't know what Saturday is like but most ppl show up on Sunday afternoons somewhere between 2 and 5pm or so. If you are traveling 20+ miles, your best bet might be to show up a bit before 2pm on Sunday so that you beat the crowd & get in some pick up games. You will often have a choice between the A gym (w/ Kevin Z) and the B gym (w/ Dr Chen).

I know that **** Ng sometimes shows up on Saturday to bring his daughter Daphne (1 of the top juniors in the US) for training. If you show up about 2:30 (or 3pm), you may get the opportunity to hit with him. **** was a top player in the US some 20 yrs ago and a top high school (& junior) coach in the 90s. He is often willing to hit with anyone who shows up on Sat. I've hit with him a couple of times & had some good rallies (tho' he blew me off the courts in singles play). I've not been to SJSU on Sat for 2 months so I don't really know the current situation (crowd-wise) for Sat.

Reminder: no opem gym this coming Sunday, 11/21.

#55 SystemicAnomaly, Nov 18, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2004
  16. qdots

qdots Regular Member

Is parking really free after 6pm at SJSU?

Is free parking after 6pm some kind of open secret? I tried to confirm with SJSU school intramural sports/rec information personel and was told the parking is never free, not even after 6pm.

17. John33

John33 New Member

the parking structures are university owned and it's regulated 24/7. however, there's city meters across the street on 4th owned by the city and they are free after 6. also, there is a city owned parking structure right next to kinko's on 3rd street. or you can park at the library parking structure.

18. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    Street parking on 3rd & 4th are free all day Sunday. The city parking structure between 2nd & 3rd (near San Carlos) is free on both Sat & Sun, all day.

19. ShArKs58

ShArKs58 New Member

Is San Jose State Open Gym open again? Last time i heard they were remodeling and or closed or something. Please reply with days, times, and fees please. THANKS!

20. harrycoomer

harrycoomer Regular Member

SJSU Badminton is Open

It's only $3 for non students (1 for students) and no waiting for courts.