Wear glove while playing?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by LazyBuddy, Nov 13, 2002.

1. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Last week when I was practicing, I saw a guy wearing a glove on his racket hand while playing. The glove seems like a racket ball glove to me.

I asked him why, he just told me that he's kinda get used it. I just wonder, whether we should ever do that or not. I mean, if we wear gloves, won't that will take away the "feeling" of rackets?

2. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    LB, I have been playing wearing a racquetball glove too on my racquet hand for as long as I can remember. My reason is because my palm sweats and the glove help with my grip. However, you have to make sure the glove is relatively tight fitting or else the glove would slip in your hand and mess up your grip. :D I recently gave towel grip a try and now I've abandonned my glove since I do get a better "feel" of the racquet without the glove.

3. silentlight

silentlight Regular Member

student/programmer
    I, too, have seen many people play with gloves before and they were all good players, much better than me. One of them said that without the gloves he would get calouses.

4. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Besides myself, I also know two others that wear gloves when they play. One does so to prevent calouses like silentlight mentioned, another just does because he claim the glove gives him a psychological edge over his opponent. :D

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i agree with LB. we spent all our time finding grip which will give us the best feel of the racket, and then someone decide to wear a glove to numb it all... ??

the other thing that i cannot understand is people who wear baseball caps to play badminton. in baseball, the angle of focus is around 5 degrees, where as in badminton, it is more like 200 degrees (similar value for the players' IQ :D ). wearing a baseball cap will reduce the peripheral vision, esp when most of the time badminton players have to look upwards at the shuttle. i just don't get it.

6. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

I have a golf glove that i sometimes wear when i'm biking. I can actually feel the handle bars BETTER with the glove than without. I haven't tried it with badminton though. Maybe I should give it a try tonite :)

7. nSmash

nSmash Regular Member

Computer Engineer
    It's like practising kung-fu blindfolded... feel the force, Luke...

8. bigredlemon

feel the force? Is that what framerate was talking about when he said he wanted a badminton helmet? I guess he was just too advanced ... and felt too much force!:D

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Be cool??? Don't get it either.

Maybe wear cap "backward" can be better for them?

10. alex l

alex l Regular Member

are racquet ball gloves the best to wear?

11. bigredlemon

arent racquetball gloves designed to absorb shock, which is what you don't want? I think golf gloves are best cuz they are designed for maximum feeling of the handle.