Weeding out tennis habits

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Magwitch, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

I just wondered if anyone has had some of the issues I've had, coming from playing tennis. I've done a bit of coaching now, and the coach is trying to get me to shuffle forward rather than run. The coach pointed out that I often hold the racquet with both hands, and I wasn't conscious of how much I was doing it. I found that sometimes I did it to change grip. I'm in the process of stopping that, and I only did it once at the start of the last session. For the time being at least I feel a bit awkward.

It's actually quite strange switching to tennis from mainly playing badminton. The first time I did I had a look at the racquet after the first two shots to verify if it was mine, as it felt like a rock!

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I would say if you keep switching back to tennis, your form will always be stuck. I seen some stubborn people low level who think they can overcome it and mix the two sports but seriously, no :)

I have seen a few kids play badminton after learning tennis. It’s an absolute nightmare to change their form and there’s nothing that scares a coach in Hk more than trying to change tennis habits in badminton. (Well maybe not that bad but you get what I mean!)

As like any change of form, frequent repetition, mirror work, go slowly and check, go fast and check, frequently check. Video yourself.

Magwitch and Mason like this.
  3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    There’s a sport called rackethon where the tennis squash badminton and table tennis are played. I think it’s people who have started sports with a badminton background who do the best.

4. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

There are two people at my club who played tennis before, and you can see it in their game style (sideway swings, lot of underhand slicing etc.). The key is muscle memory. Once you learn a motion you start to use it automatically, which is what you want to train to perfection in sport. This is the reason, that you hold the racquet with both hands without thinking about it (that is the goal, from a tennis point of view).

The good, you can untrain it by reinforcing the new technique (badminton). But I doubt, that you will be able to play both tennis and badminton on a high level. The context and trigger are similar (racquet, ball, court, net), but the muscle memory you need are really different. Other sport with an other context will work better (combine badminton and soccer or swimming).

Cheung likes this.
  5. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

There is also pickleball, which has elements of badminton, tennis and table tennis

6. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Had similar problem to:D
    Instead of Tennis, im basketball player.
    Everything i do is all basketball movement pattern & i do it without thinking any of it, my body remember it.
    I guest repeatitive is what you need & i agree that playing alot of sport would ruin your body memory. Why? When our brain takes input, processing it, & order our body part to do some task, all that need times & with fast sport like badminton, faster respond is crucial & any delay would become our weakness or window for the opponent to kill us. Istead of thinking, you want your body to do their task without any order from brain & thats reflex & memory pattern do their task to shorten the delay.

7. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

When I started to play badminton again and watched some recorded games, I observed, that whenever I went to the base position I stretch my arms infront of me and lowered my center. I was never aware of doing this during a match, but I played volleyball more than 15 years and I think that this is my way to ready up to receive a volleyball smash. Although I tend to jump at the net when trying to kill a shuttle, even thought I am already standing there. :D

Cheung likes this.
  8. CRZ-ZF1

CRZ-ZF1 Regular Member

I have seen and partnered with players that have traits of tennis habit. It can be a frustrating game experience because their "tennis technique" shot will unlikely to land the shuttle where they want.

The only way to weed out is to tennis habit fully understand why the tennis shot doesn't work in the badminton scenario. For example, why take a shot sideway at a contact point lower than the net when you have 3 seconds to bring up your racquet for a forehand smash. Or the player may not know he is under slicing the shuttle by taking the shot on the side thus slowing the shuttle down.

A decent coach would be able to explain the mechanics of badminton shot, and how the shuttle fly and the influence to shuttle speed based on the stroke and racquet contact point taken.

You can weed out bad habit by enforcing good habit. Before you can enforce good habit, one need to know why is it a bad habit.

Mason likes this.