What Goes Through Your Head When You Are Facing a Pro

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by FirstSecond, May 24, 2009.

1. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

and the most important thing, the direction of the shuttle u are gonna place it;)

2. Aeries

Aeries Regular Member

When i play against pros, i try and calm myself and tell myself not to mess up and look like a fool, but it usually fails :p But, it's especially hard when you're playing against a pro in a tournament who you know personally. Yes, by personally, i mean by someone at school in your class and they have played every since they were a young kid when i only started a few months ago :eek: That's not very pleasant, especially when you always lose to them. But it doesn't matter now because i've got used to playing and losing against that person haha :p

3. TheBear

TheBear Regular Member

What goes through my mind when playing a pro? The shuttle, generally !

(((Sorry.......didn't see Kwun's post)))) :eek: blush

#23 TheBear, May 30, 2009
    Last edited: May 30, 2009
  4. kinoko

kinoko Regular Member

remain calm. whenever u started to notice ur making more unforced errors, take your time. you can try drawing or writing your name on air with your racket using your opposite common hand just to take away pressure.

focus is important, but at times this is the key factor that could bring you down too. think of it like fishing, when the tension gets too high, the line breaks. as simple as that.

whenever i play against someone better, i tend to calculate a strategy and look for his weak points, but if i cant find one, then i would tell my self to go back to basic eg. no fancy shots, clearing high up to his backhand shot, buy my self some time by playing longs, etc.

end of the day, this is the game i love. ;)

5. dennis913

dennis913 Regular Member

Student
    "if i beat him, ill be pro" LOL

6. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    nothing to lose and everything to gain.
    remember if they lose or come close to losing it will be more embarrassing for them rather then you.

7. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

if you know you are going to lose, try even harder.be able to say that you actually tried you hardest, and you earned that score.

I would prefer that my opponents remember me. even if it involves a bit of pain.:eek:

8. kinoko

kinoko Regular Member

pretend that u lose the grip and threw the racket at him:D

9. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

i was thinking more hit the person in the face/ body. that or cause them to run alot. just make them remember who you were.

10. Timbuctoo

Timbuctoo Regular Member

Just remember pain is temporary, quitting lasts forver!!! Just go hard and make them earn every shot if you can!

11. Azianhero

Azianhero Regular Member

well it doesn't really matter if hes nationally ranked or not. The fact that everybody can lose is true. Who cares if hes pro that has nothing to do with you and shouldn't affect you at all. Sure those people are good but what matters most is to put your A game on and think about their weakness. Win or lose it doesn't really matter, you will at least gain the experience of playing somebody better than you and losing only makes people better. Hope you win! jiayo!

12. event

event Regular Member

Bravo.

What went through my head was 'Hey I just beat an Olympic medallist with my dro...aaagh! He got it back again!'

What I really couldn't figure out was why his average club player partner refused to take the opportunity to play the shuttle to my partner, a former top junior.

13. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Hmm...do you really remain that calm and positive if u are really in a match with a pro with a big population of spectators, esp ones that make a big ruckus out of every point?

I would like to remain calm and positive too but my personal experience is that, I get a bit embarrassed when I cannot even earn the points my opponent clearly has handicapped (for showoffs or whatever reasons). Post-mortem analysis, yeah, remain calm and nothing to lose as an underdog. But during the match....can't help it.