what happens if somebody serves before the opponent is ready?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by ralphz, Feb 14, 2020.

1. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

what happens if somebody serves before the opponent is ready?

i've no doubt that almost never happens in a tournament or serious match. but i'm curious..

i've heard it's a foul, but what would that even imply.. do they redo it.. does the side of the guy that wasn't ready win the point and serve next? do they redo the rally same point and he serves again? in which case is the foul like a yellow card? what are the implications of the foul and what happens to the game?

thanks

2. phihag

phihag Regular Member

From the Laws of Badminton:
    The umpire will call Play a let and the score remains unchanged. For the first or second time in a match, that's it. If a pattern develops, the umpire will talk to the players.

If the receiver has a pattern of not being ready, the umpire will likely tell them to hurry (the vocabulary mentions Get readier quicker).
    If the server served intentionally while the receiver was not ready, the umpire can also tell the server Don’t serve before the receiver is ready.

If the receiver is delaying the game (which is common) or the server is constantly serving although the receiver is not ready (which is rare), the umpire will also threaten and eventually show cards for delay of game.

mater, ralphz, stradrider and 2 others like this.