What justifies the price of high end rackets vs low end ones?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by KinkySmasher, Sep 4, 2011.

1. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Cheaper equivalents are plenty n we cannot be specific because they are many decent rackets at $50-$80. They are not necessarily clonexes but many models from 2nd or even 3rd tiers manufacturers would do just fine for 95% of us, beginners, intermediates or even advanced intermediates. What do u mean by "choices doesn't actually exist"?

2. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    He means that for the price he has paid for those racquets he wants us to provide an equivalent racquet that can be directly compared to it, but at a much cheaper price.
    Racquets priced £120+ can be compared to £60 racquets but you would need to find racquets with the same specifications and then work out where the differences are.

3. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Exactly, it is us who have to adjust a bit to play well. If our skills is at least intermediate we should be able to adjust to rackets w/ similar specs. If we are not skilled enough then we should improve ourselves instead of being picky on our rackets.

4. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

I should have been more clear. "I suppose it would have been best to say specific information on what choices are out there isn't readily available"

This may be true but, it is of zero practical value to me. Great, there are many choices so I play with the AT-900P. I decide maybe I'm paying too much. So I go to the store walk over to the $50-$80 section and what? Close my eyes and grab one? Or do I take the time and go online shift through half a dozen manufacturers then shift through 10 models. Order one online and hope for the best when I try it?

Hell, look what happens when I put a question to the floor asking about some suggested mid to low range substitutes to specific high end models. I get "Cheaper equivalents are plenty" Er thanks sport, that's a real wealth of actionable advice I can use there.

#104 thunder.tw, Nov 12, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  5. thunder.tw

Reading your post again I'm left with the following question. What is the make and model of this $50 racquet that you able to find that matches perfectly with the Arcsaber 10??

Well until you actually name this cheaper option you are talking about. The reason I haven't bought it is because I can't program 'The land of Make Believe" into my GPS so I can't get there and pick this wonder up.

6. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Well, the reason I can't give u any specifics is because I am not an expert in rackets. If u want to save money, u have to do some research and ask around what feels similar to ARC10, what technologies are involved. Which technologies/features u can do without...etc.

If u want easy convenient way out then just trust the BIG guys and hand-over yr money n buy their latest n greatest. Many people earn so much money that $100 is nothing for them, probably their hourly earning rate. So they always want the easy, practical way out. Just buy what the pros used, they know what they are doing, right? TRUE, but they are CONTRACTED to do so, ie use their sponsor's rackets. They make money doing so, we are not (we are paying to use them). Remember, they are bound by LAW to use them.

Even if we were to buy Yonex/Li Ning rackets we still have to do some research and even try-outs. Don't we? Otherwise we'll end up buying and storing rackets we don't really like to use, right?

7. S.fusion

S.fusion Regular Member

All I can say is that I have played with many rackets over the years. They made very very difference to how I play. The $200 racket did not make my smashes go any quicker than the $50 racket. You believe what you want to believe, no one can take tht away.

8. thunder.tw

Blah blah blah.

So you can't give me examples because you're not an expert on racquets? So a person is supposed to take the time and effort to become an expert on raquets before he can begin to make an informed choice. My time and effort is worth a hell of alot more than the $100 or so I'll save.

Secondly, the OP asks what justifies the price of high end raquets? Why the hell does anything need to be 'justified'. You want to know why high end raquets cost as much as they do? It is simply because there are enough people who are willing to pay those prices no other reason. Compared to other sports the cost of playing badminton is really cheap.

Some can say that they use a low end raquet and they feel it doesn't affect they're game. But, have they actually measured their performace? How fast is their smash? What are their avererage number of unforced errors made during a game? Or do they feel no difference?

The point about people only using racquets the pros use is alittle bit one dimensional. There are some racquets the pro use that people absolutely hate so I'm not sure it is entirely true to say that anyone has been brainwashed. The Victor MX-80 is a very popular raquet with consumers but, isn't very widely used by the professionals at all.

Sure there are always people who get heavily influenced by what the pros use or the country the product is made in. So what? How is this different from any one of hundereds of consumer products out there. Some people feel they get better performance out of their high end racquets. Believe what you want to believe, no one can take that away.

Of course the people who feel they get something out of those high end raquets aren't pointing fingers and starting whiney threads about those who feel they can get max performance out of a $20 cast iron raquet are they? So if one is happy with their game why not follow the example of people who use high end racquets and just shut up and play?

ucantseeme likes this.
  9. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    I used to pay £130 for high end Yonex racquets. When AT700 gen 1, AT900P and NS8000 were the flagship racquets. After breaking a few of them and doing my paper round for weeks to buy a new one I started buying £70 racquets instead and I didn't feel a major difference, my new favourite racquets I got for £90 for 2.
    Below a certain price you can feel a definitive difference as the material quality is different, or the materials are different.
    ARC 10 is a really good racquet and if I had the money I would buy it, but it all depends on how much people are willing to spend.

10. Rykard

Rykard Regular Member

what did you replace them with?

11. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

This is all very correct. The measurement standard throughout the clubs is a lot more skewed than we take granted for.

For example the number one player from one club who uses a cheap Apacs-made Yonex-clone to beat all the others in his club may not be a match at all for a "measly" 3rd runner up from another club who uses a relatively expensive Yonex AT700.

12. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    I've been through a lot of racquets, Yonex AT700Ltd, Yonex MP44, Yehlex YX-Quad Power, Apacs Edgesabre Z-Spark, Carlton Vapor Trail, Head Metallix 7000 x 2, Head Metallix 7000 Tour, Head Metallix 8000 x 2 and the 2 for £90 Head Power Helix 8000.
    Quite a lot of different shafts and balances but I have changed my style several times based on the coach I have been with.

13. zzz...

zzz... Regular Member

Guys, there is no right or wrong answer to the question of this thread. Its simply WE are the willing buyer that justify the price. Lets take a can of Coke as an example. We know we can get a can of coke from any supermarket in SG for S50¢ or less. Yet we paid the same can of Coke, same taste in a restaurant for S$3 +/-. Tell me why? Its simply we are suckers and willing to pay. The same logic apply to any products. There are choices, its up to you to choose, nobody force you to buy a certain product.

14. fufu27

fufu27 Regular Member

in my opinion, a high end racquet doesn't make my hands feel tired the next day, because it feels solid and full. energy transfer is very efficient and not wasted much. I prove it because I have a high end racket and low end racket.

after wearing the low end racket, the hands feel tired the next day. Likewise with shoe, the high end remains more comfortable to wear and is far more soft and has good grip

insanity and Tec07 like this.
  15. Sunray7

Sunray7 Regular Member

Some my seniors said that TOP tier highest end rackets are intentionally made ‘imperfect’
    So that players can continually chase that ‘ideal’ racket which doesn’t come out of production

maybe tier 2 rackets are better made? So that players feel good and eventually want that upgrade
    for that ‘perfect’ racket

could this be the marketing angle which exploits the pursuit of better n better rackets?

really no idea ya?
    Becos I m just a noob

cheers all

16. Budi

Budi Regular Member

My point of view

I think high end, low end or whatever end it is, it basically different racket. Different spec, different frame profile, different material, or whatever different in it. Yes the different sometimes is very insignificant but still its different. For example VT10 is said to be low end copy of legendary ZF but in the end its a 2 different racket. Like me, my brother, my cousin, my nephew. Everyone is different, me is me & its unique for each of us.

Back to the pricing.
    Did you know a little secret about free racket that all pro had? Im sure many of us realize it. Yes all those free racket not actually free but we regular user pay for it. We pay for the advertising, sponsorship, & all. Of course YY can makes sponsorship to all his product from high to low end, giving duo minion a duo 88 then give hendra/ahsan duo 68 (i know they are Mizunos, just random example). But to many stars will look less bright & less attractive rather than 1 big bright star among others.
    So what come into the high price? Its marketing classification & branding. If you just give an average price for all, soon anyone will forget the brand but putting some product on the high price line it will makes us think its a high quality, great performance & all. Like Apple fanboy (sorry bro, doesnt mean any harm:D) whos willing to sleep in front of the store just to be able to become the 1st owner of new product tho what he got doesnt mean the very 1st product that come out of the production line.
    And lastly new technology. New technology require some investment like new mould, new machinery to process new formula, or whatever new required to makes the new tech happen. All that need investment & as its not charity organization investment always calculated with return of investment. They will put higher price on the new tech to get their investment back & then gain profit from it. Like a USB Drive long ago when it 1st come out. For 1GB the price is crazy:eek:, but now 16GB is pretty much cheap. It coz the new tech & they aim for this investment return.

So, does the price worth it? There is no absolute answer.
    For branding some are willing to spend those high price even tho it just for collection.
    Some other chose it for the racket itself. Its spec, its feeling, & all suit them.
    Some other buy it just coz it feel mentally amazing swinging high end racket use by a legendary player.

Ouchie likes this.