What would u like to see at the WC??

Discussion in 'World Championships 2005' started by DaN_fAn, Feb 20, 2005.

1. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

i know that there is stll quite some time for world championships. Still i ask, what would u like to see at the WC?we know that the sport needs more use of tech. and what better place to start from than the WC. what are the things the sport could do well with.these are what i think:-
    1.at the WC i would like to see a device for measuring the speed of the shuttle,and u can have the speed shown during the telecast just to add more colour to the game.[not a difficult thing to do if the IBF makes up it's mind]
    2.better cameras to capture all tpes of motion as have been talked about in some of the previous threads.
    3.Better clothing and use of cameras for line judgements.a shuttler can appeal if the decision of the line judge goes against him[these are the onl 2 changes i agree with that the IBF is planning to introduce]
    4.better commentary and variety of commentators[i have seen just a few recent matches and in all of them u have the same lady commentator(sometimes saying the same rubbish!!)]
    5.maybe a big screen at the in the stadium.
    these things if introduced from the WC atleast ,can definitely make the aldready appealing game more appealing:D

2. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I think measuring the speed of the shuttle is unneccesary. In tennis, you only measure the serve, so you know exactly when and where to measure, and the speed of the serve is truly a vital factor. In badminton, you would be measuring a smash but a smash could be from anywhere in the court (depending on how you can measure the speed, it could be technically difficult), there could be smashes is quick succession and the display on the tv would have to change very fast and could be confusing. In addition, the power of the smash is not that important, because the sharpness and placing are equally important.

I think generally the placings of the cameras are good enough already. In fact, just to televise matches using the standard angle is good enough for me. However, I think it should be made compulsory to have cameras at the lines. I have a feeling some tournaments omit that because they know their linesmen will cheat.

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

I second this idea also. The idea of putting camera(s) at the lines would add an extra "eye", an even more accurate eye for which one can capture and replay with a slower speed to see whether the birdie is out or in.
    Hmm, so you mean there are "cheatings" going on during the games with the linesmen also... :rolleyes:

4. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

No,hcyong u are wrong.i am saying the speeds of every smash should be measured but the real fast ones should be displayed on tv.again as i have said before it is not a very difficult thing to do.unnecesary,no i dont think so.did u know that in no event ever has there been a good system to mesure the speed.just refer to the 'guiness book of records 2004' for the world's fastest smash.it says 260kmph by an englishman[not sure of his name] way back in 1996.now u are not telling me that players of today doing all the weight training cannot hit harder than that,but there is no system to measure the speed of the smash.to u and me it may not be all that necessary,coz we both know that the speed of the shuttle frequently crosses the 200kmph mark[hope u knew that,but to the average spectators who are watching the game on tv and know nothing more than a thing or two it would be a great info.few know that the game can get much faster than tennis.things like this if introducrd will only captivate spectator's interest.[an example for how ignorant people are about the game.i told my friend once that the shuttle frequently crosses the 200 kmh and he's like -'no way,it would burn due to friction in air'!!
    now what do u say to that,sad really sad:( :(!!
    Now i hope u agree that u need a system to meaure the smashes and display them during telecast!!

5. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    At the top level, the difference in smash shuttle speeds is negligent. While the speed may exceed 200 kmph (the shuttle will not burn in atmosphere or else airplanes and F1 cars will burn), that is only at the point when the shuttle leaves the racquet. The speed quickly slows due to the enormous drag of the feather (pull out the feathers and see the difference). The detection device will only have a split nanosecond to record that. I'm not sure if it's feasible in an actual match.

Secondly, in doing so (recording the speed), we are putting too much importance in the power of the smash, which is a very American thing to do (sorry to say). Everything is power, power, power. The last thing we want is to have statistics like how many over-250kmph smashes, conversion rates of over-250kmph smashes etc. etc. These sort of statistics are misleading. Badminton is much more artistic for that. Equally, or of more, importance are (for example) the angle of smash, placement (body or sideline), where you smash from, where your opponent is when you smash, the surprise smash (smashing when the opponent thinks you can't). How do you measure the surprise drop (when the opponent thinks you will smash)? We cannot. The most we can do is give points on artistic impression. Thankfully, though, we have the good old points system. I won't need the stats except for a few indicative ones like unforced errors etc.

Lastly, pumping iron will do no good to your smashing if your technique is not there. Notice that none of the players look like Arnold Swachze-cantspell. I will put my bet on kwun any day if he comes up against his governor. I don't think players nowadays hit harder than players of yesteryears (assuming the same techonology). The technique of smashing is natural, and has been natural since the beginning.

While it is ok to record the speed for fun (to show those out there the speed of the racquet), but during an actual match, it is unneccesary.

6. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

understand what u mean,but then again if it's possible it would be a great knowledge for the ignorant fools who think badminton is a "SLOW" game.

7. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Depends on their exposure of the game. If all they see are backyard casual games played by so-so players, they can't be faulted for their "ignorance". As for myself, short of endurance sports like marathon or triathlon, singles badminton is the most energy-sapping sport. I also play squash once-in-a-while, and although squash is hard, badminton singles is harder.

Also, when you talk about speed, there are two sorts of speed. First, it is the shuttle speed, generated by the power of the player (usually we call this power). The second one is the speed of the player itself, how fast he can get to the shuttle and play it (usually when we say speed, we refer to this).

8. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

I dun think you can change that, Gillian Clark has been doing the commentary for over a decade now ;) I think she won;t be replaced and understand that to do commentary on badminton is very difficult. Imagine a person who could call all the shots while being executed, that I have to c :p

9. Morten

Morten Regular Member

Simon Archer is the guy the guiness record book is refering too. I think former danish national doubleplayer Jim Laugesen had a very hard smash. I think I read in a danish magasine that he had the worlds hardest smash in 2002 or 2003 where it was measured to about 360kmh :eek: .. But of course he was a big guy with a lot of power... Personally I would like to see some good MS matches with Denmark vs Asia....

10. aiyuuw

aiyuuw Regular Member

good 'ol student
    i want to see some underdogs in ms like lee chong wei and taufik come out and play at their bests, with 'the man' like lin dan also playing at his best, so the results will be unpredictable and exciting
    i dont want to see china vs china wd final ([​IMG], thats unlikely tho)
    i want all the winners to be players who havent won any world champion titles before
    i want to see good badminton
    i want it to be broadcasted in indonesia[​IMG]
    pretty simple huh? but theres no guarantee that ill get it

11. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

Going OT a little, one thing I don't want to see or, to be more accurate, to hear is a commentator like the one who covered the Olympics for NBC. I'll take Ms. Gillian Clark any time, any day. At least she's been there, done that and bought the t-shirts. And she sometimes brings up interesting comments about her former adversaries who're now coaching or commentating for other TV stations like herself.

12. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

I'd be in heaven if it were to be brodcasted on CBC!!!

13. cmd17uc

cmd17uc Regular Member

Sub-par student
    Broadcast it in America, that's all I want.

14. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Engineer / Freelance pianist
    i still remember that there was once where the speed was displayed on the TV back on the mid 90s. It was a game involving Dong Jiong against Hoyer Larsen (if not mistaken)...