What would you do...

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Winex West Can, Sep 15, 2002.

?

Ethics?

1. take the point figuring that it will even out anyways

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. inform the ump and lose the point (game, match)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ask for a let (if even possible)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    I know! Everyone says it! :eek: :D It just doesn't feel right lying/cheating :crying: :D

2. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    err no. maybe i have bad ethics but i think it's not a player's duty to rectify a bad line call. play by the rules and play to win. that's sportsmanship

3. inferno32

inferno32 Regular Member

Student
    I figure if it was an important game near the end I'd ask for a reserve, but if I'm just playing with some friends I'll give them the point.

4. adrian.sutikna

adrian.sutikna Regular Member

Sales Engineer
    amen to that...

5. a_n_d_y

a_n_d_y Regular Member

high school
    im always honest, but sometimes when it's out, they freak out and say its in and i just say whatever and let them have it anways. I hate argueing over those.

6. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    A recent major study came out indicating the ethics of high-level athletes to be of much lower 'moral quality' than compared to other university student groups.

They were more likely to cheat than not, essentially. Ethical aptitude scores were lowest among football (American), hockey, and basketball players.

Scary, eh?

7. jerby

jerby Regular Member

funny you mentioned three teamsports as well...

at higehr levels people do everything to win, unfortunatly including cheating..with team-sports the pressure is even higher...

for badminton, I fidn the A player much more fair to other A's..than C's amongst each other...

8. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

It would not be gentlemanly to embarrass the lines man and possibly casue him to lose his job.

9. jerby

jerby Regular Member

being a linesmen is not a job...it's called "volunteering"

either way,
    in a normal situation (no ump/linesmen) I'd call it in. There's now way I could live with myself if I didn't

with a linesmen, I'd say he's right. he/she is sitting square on the line and has a much better view of the line.
    If it was clearly in (the case where a linesmen would be blind as a bat) I'd inform the ump...but in all honesty, I've never seen it happen...

I have, on one occasion, "embarassed" an ump (as CD calls it). my opponent hit a crosscourt netshot, away from the ump. It was a beauty and landed in. Ump said out, I said 'nope'...
    Afterwards (I was 15) I got a compliment from the ump (being a good sport), and all was well...
    and yes, he still has his "job"...I see him on occasions

10. tcyc1984

tcyc1984 Regular Member

Wrong line calls either by players or linesmen happen all the time and its unavoidable, so its up to the players to make the decision, which is morally acceptable to them. When I'm playing games, I try to be as fair as possible. ie. Theres several times I thought the birdy would be out the second before it was landing and I made a call, but the birdy was in or touched the line after landing, I changed the call to favour my opponent. In some situations, I just gave the point when there were doubtful calls. (I know sometimes its stupid to be honest like that, but why bother to make myself a lier just because of a point or two in a game?)
    Well, but there are always unreasonable people outthere... In a tourney for peoples in my university campus, I played with a girl in the final (since there were only a few girls joined the game, so they were put in the same pool as guys.. anyways, she was good thats why she got into final..) Theres once the birdy landed very close to the single's service line on the backcourt of my side, it was out so I made a call. That girl looked at me as if I was lying and said "it was in". There weren't any linesmen or judges, so it should be the player who was closest to the birdy to make the decision. She didn't believe me and made it sound as if I was trying to rip her off. Anyways, as a gentleman, I just gave her the point, but it sure affected my mood for the rest of the game.

11. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    At my last tournament, in my singles there was a suspect call for me. I hit a attacking clear which landed out by 3-4 inches. Clearly I thought it was OUT. Umpire called IN. Opposition hit the shuttle back to me. And I hit it back to him and took up posistion ready to receive the serve.

The umpire looked at the opposition and myself and didn't dispute his call at all.

If the shuttle is close to the line, and a call cannot be made decisively, and it's called out/in after deliberation. I will make a point of looking at the umpire for clarification, or the linesman.

What I dont agree with is when a umpire/linesman cannot make a clear decison, didn't see the line etc. And after thinking about the answer makes a decison. A umpire/linesman as I can see needs to make a decison straight away, right or wrong or play a let.

12. offscott

offscott Regular Member

wannabe writer
    What the coach says is final.

13. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    You mean the umpire? :confused:

14. BUnstable

BUnstable Regular Member

Student
    In provincial tournament I go to, there is no line judges... You can have them if you start to think that your opponent cheats with the line and ask for some judges and if you are in finals. Even there, I think that there is no Umpire.

15. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Honesty is the best policy here. If it's in, tell the umpire it is.

I saw this happen in a table tennis match before. Nobody really knew whether the ball touched the top of the table or the side. The players wanted to give the point to each other and had a standoff for about 5 minutes. In the end, they agreed to play a let.

If the shuttle was blatantly in, I'd give the point away. If it was close, then I'd ask my opponent(s) if they were happy to play a let.

16. Stephanie15

Stephanie15 Regular Member

i will ask for a let.

17. Baddersmum

Baddersmum Regular Member

My son was playing a very important game of mixed, when the following happened

He was wating to receivd serve
    It was served & he left it thinking it was short
    The shuttle landed and he passed it back to the server, giving them the point
    The referee over ruled him saying it was short & the point was his
    My son then went on to disagree with the referee and insisted that the point was given to the oppostion.

He lost 21 19 !!!

Afterwards he said it was so far in that he couldn't take the point

18. chrisnchips

chrisnchips Regular Member

Student
    i'd ask for a let... or if i had the service or return I'd just purposefully make a mistake to give back the point if i gained a point on a bad call.

19. jnce00

jnce00 Regular Member

It happened at the rubber set of the 2007 French Open Men Doubles QF. KKK/TBH lost 1 point to Tadashi/Keisha and TBH sent the dead shuttle to the other side but the umpire still gave the Malaysia pair the point. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfYNkePtHjo

20. hellopanda3

hellopanda3 Regular Member

TRAIN!
    Linesmen:
    Singles and Doubles:
    If the shuttle landed clearly in, but was called out. The umpire should quickly overrule the call. If no overrule was issued, the call should stand. That's how the game is played. I would think since the umpire did not overrule that my judgement was incorrect. It is the umpire's responsibility that all calls are accurate. That is why they are there. I would hold no grudge against a player who agreed with the umpire if it had happen to me. I'd get mad for a while, but there is nothing as a player I can do. It's not like tennis where there is a challenge system.
    Without Linesmen:
    Singles:
    If it was close and I cannot CLEARLY tell if the shuttle was in or out, I will give the point to my opponent. Without linemen, it is the players' responsibility to make the right calls.
    Doubles:
    Unless I am right next to where the shuttle landed and clearly saw it in, I will respect my partner's decision 100% if he or she (mixed) called it out. Also, unless I was right there to see the shuttle go out, I would respect my partner's decision 100% if he or she called it in.

The situation with the Malaysian Doubles Pair:
    Although the Malaysians should have said something, the service judge, for making such a horrible call, and the umpire, for agreeing with such a horrible call, should be banned FOREVER! Having said this, the Malaysians should've said something.