Which countries will advance to the Final Rd.

Discussion in 'Thomas / Uber Cup 2010 Preliminaries' started by ctjcad, Jan 21, 2010.

1. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Pan Am Qualifiers update.

TC Final: Canada v Peru
    UC Final: USA v Peru

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Just gone final..^^

2010 PanAm T&UC champions:
    TC: Peru (beat Canada 3-1)
    UC: USA (beat Peru 3-1)

3. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Based on http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80896 team ranking, England will most probably qualify for the TC as the lucky no 12. England will not qualify only if INA is not among the top 3 qualifiers from Asia.

As for the UC, the lucky team will come from Asia.

Of course, this is based on rankings released a few weeks ago. But it's not likely to change a lot.

4. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Oh, I may be wrong. It could be Ukraine (finished 4th in qualifiers) compared against the 4th team from Asian qualifiers.

The Netherlands have an even chance for the UC spot.

The rules "Higher ranked team between the next highest ranked teams from Asia and Europe based on the Ranking method as stated in Regulation 3.4.5" are not particularly clear.

#64 hcyong, Feb 23, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Based on this thread..^^

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79158

I thought only the 4 Semifinalists from each region will be taken into consideration for the last wild card spot? So, it wouldn't really matter if INA finished as no.1 or no.4.
    Also it wouldn't be fair, say if CHN Taipei make the Semifinals Rd for the Asia TC Qualification and don't go, but instead ENG make it because they're higher in world team ranking.

Yes, that specific ruling is not as clear.

#65 ctjcad, Feb 23, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  6. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

Shocking. :D This is really funny. In World Cup football prelim and Asian games, Australia is in the Asian zone but in badminton they were in Oceania zone. Come on make your mind.

7. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

The BWF officicial can TWIST the rules as they see fit to who will get the Wild card spot.

Really, for BWF officials. BOOO! Better to play fair. Asian number 4 and Europe number 4 play again one more time in team event to determine who will get the wild card spot.

But they based on the ranking which we all know very easy to obtain as lons as the players enter all the events in a year.

No matter you lost in first or second round (specially at Master series) the players will ranked around 30 in the world.

8. kuwichert

kuwichert Regular Member

consultant
    Hi, don't know it is the real reason now, but a couple of weeks ago in Holland they did get some trouble with the national badminton federation - somehow for quite the same reasons the Thai squad got into trouble - just check out on Badzine, as far as I remember they published the the dutch story

9. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Africa representative :
    Thomas Cup -- Nigeria
    Uber Cup -- South Africa

10. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    "Higher ranked team between the next highest ranked teams from Asia and Europe based on the Ranking method as stated in Regulation 3.4.5"

To me, this can be understood in two ways:
    1. "Higher ranked team between the next highest ranked teams from Asia and Europe based on the Ranking method as stated in Regulation 3.4.5", meaning, remove the 3 qualifiers from each continent, the title-holders and the host, the highest remaining Asian or European team qualifies.
    2. "Higher ranked team between the next highest ranked teams from Asia and Europe based on the Ranking method as stated in Regulation 3.4.5", meaning, take the 4th-ranked (next highest ranked) teams from the Asian and European qualification tournament and pit their rankings

From how it is phrased, I am much more inclined towards the 2nd one, meaning Ukraine v 4th from Asia in TC and Holland v 4th from Asia in UC.

Secondly, when using Regulation 3.4.5, is it in the context of all the nations in the world, or just pitting the two teams against each other.
    As we know, A can beat B, B can beat C and C can beat A. In the grouping comprising all A to C, all teams are equal, but in a grouping with just two teams (say A and B), you get a clear winner. These two methods can result in different winners.

11. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Oh wow... Peru?!?!? :eek: That's the 1st time I heard that they can qualify for the Thomas Cup finals...

USA women... will look like a Pan-Asian team... :D:D

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..i also have the same thought. Yes, the rule is not clear, can be interpreted differently. But hopefully BWF will only consider the 4 semifinalists from each region to determine the 1 wild card spot.
    ..im a bit surprised with Peru's performance also (not only for the TC squad)..btw, you should read this thread, if you haven't:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81400

13. Kingfisherxyrz

Kingfisherxyrz Regular Member

Teacher
    Each Continental Confederation shall organise a Continental stage tournament to determine the required number of qualifiers from their continent.

Each Continental Confederation shall communicate to the BWF on the day of completion of the Continental Stage Competition a list of teams in ranking order. This list shall include one more team than the number of places at the Thomas and Uber Cup Finals allocated (see Regulation 3.4.2) to the respective Continental Confederation.

Guys this statement I think helps to clarify exactly how the 12th qualifier for both the Thomas Cup and Uber Cup will be determined. From these two statements it is quite clear that the 12th place to be determined between Europe and Asia will go to the higher ranked 4th placed team in the respective continental qualifiers.

I expect that to be Asia for both the Thomas and Uber Cup.

14. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Well then, at the conclusion of today's matches and with the 4 Feb rankings http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80896 as indication:

1. The 4 Asian Thomas Cup Qualification semi-finalists have qualified because Ukraine is ranked much lower. So, congratulations to KOR, INA, JPN and IND (though it's expected)

2. KOR, INA and JPN are sure of top 4 finishes in the Asian Uber Cup Qualification and as each is ranked higher than NED, they are also assured of their Finals tickets.

3. IND and TPE will have a straight duel to determine the last remaining semifinalist. Whoever wins this duel must then make sure to avoid finishing fourth as they are both lower ranked than NED.

4. If somehow IND or TPE sneaks through due to INA, KOR or JPN fielding under-strength teams (with their aims already achieved), then NED will cry foul.

5. THA is out.

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

it'll be a very interesting ending..

- As suspected, the door is now open for NED after HK was shown the exit.
    - I can sense any if not all of those 3 teams could just play out (w/out going full strength) in the playoff round as they've already clinched a ticket to M'sia. And whoever wins between IND and TPE, i'm sure they'll be gunning all out, in the playoffs rd., to make it as one of the top 3 teams.
    - NED might cry foul, but unfortunately there're no mechanism rules to penalize team(s) which might not go "all out" in the Playoffs Rd. of the Qualification event.
    *Good job, Kingfisherxyrz, for picking up those rules in the T&UC Regulations and shedding a bit more light on this.

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Got the confirmation/clarification..

..i've finally gotten the confirmation/clarification on the ruling. And it's exactly what many of us had figured out. Apparently there is a typo in the BAC letter. But if indeed India's Uber Cup squad ends up as the 4th team, after the playoff rds., then the BAC letter would be prophetic (as NED will make the final wild card spot).
    Here is the email reply i got from one of BWF's current official himself on this issue:
    "Date: Thursday, February 25, 2010, 6:11 PM
    Hi,

I just noticed your mail, sorry for the late reply.

Asia will get three countries each Thomas and Uber cup from Asian zone qualification plus one more if number 4 team has higher WR than number 4 team from Europe.

I hope this clear to you."

#76 ctjcad, Feb 26, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  17. sen

sen Regular Member

4 of the most populous countries in the world would be playing in either Thomas or Uber cup this year. China, India, Indonesia, USA. Another 2 top 10 countries are Russia and Japan who would be playing too.

Compare that to world cup soccer this year. USA(no 3), Brazil(no 5) and Japan (10) playing in world cup. That despite having higher number of participant(32 countries)

But soccer still far more popular in terms of viewership.

18. cxytdn

cxytdn Regular Member

Uber Cup: KOR, INA, JPN and IND in and NED out!

19. fd16n

fd16n Regular Member

it should be NED in IND out i suppose

20. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

THOMAS Cup Qualifiers :
    China (trophy holder)
    Malaysia (host country)
    Indonesia
    South Korea
    India
    Denmark