Who will be hot in 2004?

Discussion in '2004 Tournaments' started by Morten, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Morten

Morten Regular Member

This year is almost over and the same is the tournaments except Copenhagen Masters. Who do you think will be in form in 2004, the same players who are in form now or someone else? Here's my bet.

MS:
    Lin Dan, he has shown great consistency and I think he has matured to be a great consistent shuttler just like Chen Hong. We will see more to this guy, if he can stay away from injuries.

Peter Gade, from China Open we can see that Gade is slowly getting better and will perhaps be in his old form next year?

Wong Choong Han, has also shown great form since his silver medal in WC and after that, he will perhaps be the only malaysian who can win the big events.

Chen Hong, we all know what he can do on a court.

Outsiders: Taufik and Bao, these two are talented players but not consistent, perhaps they will mature next year.

WS:

Only thread to the chinese armada is Camilla Martin.

Mia, Wang and Pi plays well and get to semis sometimes, but the only girl being able to beat 3-4 chinese players in a row is Camilla. I think she will be back with new confidence after a having the break that she needed. And renember its her last tournament so she will be in top form.

WD-Chinese :)

MD:

Cai/fu, very interesting and young pair, who have made some impressive runs this year and gained a bronze medal in WC this year, I think they are on there way. they just need a little more experience.

Lars/Jonas. What can i say they won the two biggest and strongest tournaments this year and have showed consistency reaching at least a quarter final since WC.

Ha/Kim and Lee/Yoo

These Koreans are just world class pairs. I think one of them will take the olympic gold medal

Chan/wah wah they have revived like Peter Gade and can perhaps make a great upset in next years olumpic

Wijaya/Halim they have yet to proove some consistency, but they havent played together that long. I think they will be stronger next year.

MX:

Ha/Kim what can i say they are like Superman and Supergirl

Gao/Zhang the only pair who has a chance against the korean pair.

WD:
    all chinese.

What do you think about these shuttlers/pairs am i totally wrong or have I forgot someone??

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i think zhang ning (WS) would be in top form in preparation for the olympic

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I think Lin Dan will be the next big brother after Xia and Chen Hong. We will never know.. maybe he will be the next Gade if he get injured. Should watch out for him.

Lee Choong Wei and Lee Tseun Seng of Msia would probably make a good show next year. They may give a hard time to those Chinese players.

Wong CH the man! I think he have still alot of things up his sleeeves. He has been denied by the Chinese Players this year..I think he will work harder to win more titles in 2004

Peter Gade , well said by Morten.

For Mens doubles Msia.. at the moment i cant see any upcoming young star that can make impact in the international Arena.
    Lee and Choong.. the veterans will be good for next year.

Cai/Fu would be interesting to watch.

Our very own JR/LARS.

Koreans Ha/Kim.. they had a good start early this year.. but towards the end of this year, they kinda slowed down a little. I'm sure they will rise up again in 2004.

WS and WD

China still rules.

MX : Basically the same as morten.

4. ants

ants Regular Member

btw the Indonesians seem to be queit this year... maybe they will come up with some suprises in 2004.

5. Morten

Morten Regular Member

Yeah perhaps indonesia has some cards hidding for us :)...Still hope that Taufik will go back to the national team and then again be a threat to the chinese players. And Simon Santoso showed us that he is a very talented player.

6. edwin

edwin Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    What about Lee Hyun II? I'm suprised he hasn't been mentioned.

I'll also be keeping my eyes on Ng Wei. He seems to be very consistent and has improved a lot this year..

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    indonesia. kinda worrying. they are just relying on the older generation for MD. even pulled in Trikus from XD to fill in the gap for Tony. that means they have nobody who are of the same caliber as the others three. Flandi/Hian are good. but still not as top a form as the others.

as for MS, Taufik and Sony are young. but Taufik isn't the wonder boy that he was anymore. XD indonesia is completely out of the scene now that Trikus/Minarti aren't together anymore. i am afraid Indonesia's hope of retaining the MD gold will be slim.

China MS : how can you leave out Xia? :)

the only Chinese MD pair that has potential IMHO are Cai/Fu. Cheng/Wang are technically weaker and Sang/Zheng are mentally weaker.

8. ants

ants Regular Member

Oh yeah.. i totally forgot about LEE Hyun Il.

9. Morten

Morten Regular Member

I also forgot Lee but I cant see him as a winner in the biggest tournaments. I konow he is ranked 2 but try to look on his points. He is very consistent but never wins the big ones like All England, WC, China Open etc. So I dont think we will se Lee win All England or something like that. But his still very good but perhaps to defensive in my opinion.

Xia Xuanze, yes perhaps i forgot him or perhaps not. I dont know yet if he has started to lose his form and perhaps in an age of 25 already is done. A lot of chinese players are done when they are 25 just look at Sun Jun. But I hope he will be back in 2004 but im afraid he wont be at the same lvl as in WC :/

10. ants

ants Regular Member

I did Mention Xia's name :) hehehe. i do agree that Indons are weak in MDs this time.
    Even for WS , i don't think they have any uprising womens since Susi Susanti. Except for Mia Audina of Neds.

Malaysia and Indonesia are weak in the womens department both in Singles and Doubles. Hmm maybe in 5 to 10 years time?

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Malaysia, WS/WD/XD are out. MS-wise, i think Wong should win at least one or two tourneys with a good chance for the run of the Olympics. he has the potential to deliver a medal for Malaysia IMHO. the others will only be quarter/semi material IMHO.

as for MD, Lee/Choong are hot the past few weeks. but they have always shown inconsistency. it looks like Malaysia still have a lot of work to do.

12. Morten

Morten Regular Member

Im in doubt if Malysia even can have 3 single players in top 16.... the hashim brothers skipped China Open and therefor lost important olympic points.. Gade captured almost 400 points and moves into top ca 13-14 and pushes both hashims down perhaps under the 16 spot. Being under the 16 spot you're not seeded and runs into the top guns early in tournaments. Just ask Gade how hard it has been to struggle back or Gopi who hasnt made it past 2 round :eek: Wong will of course qualify but the other has to fight for it.

13. Morten

Morten Regular Member

ranking in MS 1/1-04

Im not sure if this is correct but I have tried to figure out the ranking in MS on the 1st january 04 here it is. If somebody has another list please post it. The parantes indicates the ranking now.

1. Lee 3168(2)
    2.Lin Dan 3096(4)
    3.Chen Hong 3093(1)
    4.Xia Xuanze 2754(3)
    5.Wong 2535(7)
    6.Bao 2467(11)
    7.Shon 2442(8)
    8.Chen Yu2313(10)
    9.Jonassen 2268(5)
    10.Sony 2252(6)
    11.Boesen 2208(12)
    12.Gade 2096(17)
    13.Susilo 1975(14)
    14.NG 1975(13)
    15.Taufik 1965(9)
    16.Roslin 1935(18)
    17.Hafiz 1857(15)
    18.Kaldau 1803(16)

14. shuyi

shuyi Regular Member

What about Thailand's Boonsak Polsana? I am keeping an eye for him :)

15. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    My pick for 2004

MS

1. Lee Hyun-Il - young and already so consistent. I'd bet on him to do very well next year. As they said, experience makes one wiser. I'd rate him as the most exciting prospect of 2004.

2. Wong CH - he had finally found that winning mentality and form to get push him out of the 'mediocre' crop of players to emerge as a true champion material. All he needs now is to keep producing the goods and he'd finish better than he ever would be by the end of 2004.

3. Chen Hong - if he remains consistent as he is this year, he'd rule the rankings again.

4. Lin Dan - he's got it right now and I can't see him slowing down except for (touch wood) injury. One of the my top picks after Lee Hyun-Il.

Dark horses : Bao Chunlai, Taufik Hidayat, Xia Xuanze
    Star youngsters : Sony Dwi Kuncoro, Lee Chong Wei

MD

1. Ha/Kim - well, there's nothing to say, no? ;)

2. Candra/Halim - 2003 was pretty shaky, without reaching any finals and losing to their rivals. I would have prefered to having Candra/Sigit together as they're a more formidable pairing (VERY formidable) but that's history now. With time, their partnership should work out and they would re-emerge as the top doubles pair of the world.

Outsiders : JR (!) / Lars, Choong/Lee, Lee/Yoo, Cai/Fu, Sang/ Zheng

WS

1. Gong Ruina - I like her consistency and I'd think she'd be able to bulldoze her way through next year, but with much resistance from team mates Zhang Ning and Zhou Mi as well as Camilla. I'd rank her number one next year.

2. Zhou Mi - no, it's not because I always post he photos on BF... :D She is also good enough to fight for the crown of world's number one, but lacking perhaps in term of luck. I think she'd perform just a little better than this year, challenging Gong closely.

3. Zhang Ning - the entire Chinese armada is powerful, and Zhang Ning is one of the members. So, naturally she'd be one of the best for 2004 as well. I'd rate her third or second, tussling with Zhou.

4. Camilla - the only European who could pose a challenge to the Chinese bulldozers but I doubt she'd do as good as her Chinese counterparts. Still, no jokes when they play her. Underestimating Camilla = defeat.

Dark horses : Xie Xingfang

WD

1. Gao/Huang - they are so pleasant to watch on the court, their smiles, who won't want them to win? That's probable one good reason why we like them so much apart from their obvious superiority in skills and understanding, no?

2. Zhao/Wei - second fiddle, again. They also look kinda serious... but if being serious wins you titles, then, no comments. ;)

Dark horses : Ra/Lee

XD

1. Kim/Ra - no contest. I'd like to see them win EVERY tournament in 2004.

2. Zhang/Gao - fabulous challengers to Kim/Ra, making them the top two greatest XD pairings for 2003.

Dark horses : eh...

16. nauknip

nauknip Regular Member

You said it man!! :D Kim/Ra rulez!

New kids on the block:

MS - Boonsak Polsana (I still think Boonsak hasn't made up his mind on how to anglicise his name:p)
    WS - Jun Jae Youn

I liked them since they first came out in 2001. Although they don't look like world-class material yet, but they're progressing slowly and I believe they'll be able to provide some excitement here and there, esp Jun who has the help of Li Mao's magic wand. Boonsak... still has to struggle for 2 more years in law school although he has been there for 4 years now.

17. fhchiang

fhchiang Regular Member

Well.... Morten i think you didn't notice Lee Chong Wei..... he is Only 21

He Is Rising Fast..

Eversince making the Breakthrough Reaching the Finals Of Malaysia Open, He Made it into Semi Finals Of dutch Open and Quarter Finals Of Denmark Open..

he reached the Third Round Of China Open... Losing to Xia Xuan Zhe 17-16, 10-15 , 15-12 in 94 minutes....

he gave xia xuan zhe a Tough Win.....

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    how about Denmark? neither PeterG nor the doubles pairs are dominating, but they are of very high caliber players too.

Kenneth J seems to have faded after his run at the beginning of the year.

19. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Regarding the Danes, here's how I see it:

MS:
    Gade: will be a top 10 contender. He could even win the odd tournament, but I don't see him in the top 1 position.

Jonassen: will also be a top 10 contender. I doubt we'll see him win any big tournaments though. I doubt he'll ever make a better season than this one. He's one year older than Gade and isn't getting any younger...

Boesen: same here, it's hard to picture him making any drastic steps at this point of his career. He'll stay posted in the top 20.

Rasmussen: injured again. He's top 10 material, if injury-free -- but it it seems his body just isn't holding up.

There are no "next generation" players in sight.

MS: Camilla will quit after Athens, and the only one to take her place is Tine Rasmussen. Her technique is on par with Camilla's, but strategically and pshychiologically the gap is big. She is also very injury prone, with a chronic ankle problem. It's looking dark.

MD:
    Jonas and Lars will continue to develop. One must remember where they come from: Danish MD is traditionally less of a speed game than in Asia, rather they rely on strategy, risk-reduction, and "clever play". This is the spirit in which Lars and Jonas were fostered. However, it seems they've spend a great deal of time on increasing the speed of their game. Today they are capable of playing classic "Danish" doubles, but in a "fast and furious" tempo. We have seen that they can keep up with just about any pair. As a pairing they are still relatively fresh. Time is on their side.

Jens Eriksen, grand ole man of Danish MD, hasn't had a bad season with Martin Lundgaard-Hansen, but he's had a few injuries recently. He's not getting faster, but he knows just about every trick in the book and doesn't hesitate to use them. That makes him a player that still, on a good day, can beat anybody. Let's hope he stays injury-free until Athens, after which he's quitting. Jeez, he's OLD --- as old as myself!!! :p

I also predict that we will see Thomas Laybourn and Peter Steffensen park in the top 10. Their curve is pointing fairly steeply upwards.

WD: No news there, Rikke and Ann-Lou will remain in top 10 and Mette and Pernille in top 20. However, I have a feeling that the Rikke and Ann-Lou pairing hasn't quite reached their full potential. We'll see.

MX:
    JR and Rikke is, or rather should be, a class act. It seems they haven't quite sorted out their game yet, perhaps it will happen this season. Both Jonas and Rikke certainly have the brains to be successful in mixed doubles.

Jens and Mette aren't getting as far as they used to anymore. They've been playing together for quite some time now, and it's hard to see how they are going to develop further. It's a pity Jens never got to play with Rikke Olsen -- that should have been lethal.

All in all, it looks fairly grim, with MD as the exception. Danish Badminton has "ENDANGERED SPECIES" stamped all over it, especially after Athens...

I suspect it's going to be business as usual:
    China, China and China.

Oh, and China, of course.

20. Morten

Morten Regular Member

I also think that Rasmussen will find it very hard to come back to the top 10... I dont think that Lee Chon Wei will show us great results next year, perhaps in 2-3 years but not next year. His ranking will dump to the mid 20's when we gets to 04, just check the world ranking and see the points that he loses in december. being ranked mid 20's in MS means that you get no seeding and then turns into the big guns from start. Thats why i cant see him as a outsider. Sorry. But give him more time his a big talent and is very young.