Who will be hot in 2004?

Discussion in '2004 Tournaments' started by Morten, Nov 18, 2003.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i doubt they will let her play for HK. at least not willingly. but it is true that Xie is currently the weakest of the 4 hopefuls. not the weakest technically, but weakest in terms of rankings as well as tournament results.

there was a report quoting Li Yongbo, he said it is not the ranking that determines who gets to go to the Olympics, but instead their tournament performance against foreign players.

from the Chinese team mangers point of view, it doesn't matter who goes but what does matter is somebody (don't care who) brings back a gold medal. and in order to do that, they want to bring somebody who can beat Camilla, Wang Chen and Mia and whoever else is a thread to the medal.

there is still a half year to go before a decision needs to be made (july 1st) and we will see a lot of matches before then. Xie did well by beating Camilla in her home turf in the Copenhagen Masters. that will certainly score a point for her in the road to Athens. but while my hearts want her to be there, i still think she is number 4 at the moment...

2. crazy_smasher

crazy_smasher Regular Member

How come Lee is so high in world ranking?

Referring to Morten's ranking,

how come Lee point is 3168 when i do not heard of him winning any tournaments or reaching the final or semis this year like chen hong , xia xuanze, wong choon hang and chen hong?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

3. da ding

da ding Regular Member

Student
    Re: How come Lee is so high in world ranking?

You mean Lee Hyun Il?

Yeah, he has won tournaments, quite a few actually, but most of them are lower graded ones, that probably why you havent heard about it: he won hte German Open, Dutch open and Swiss Opne, he also played very well to help Korea win the Sudirman Cup: in both the semis (vs Gade) and the Final (vs. Chen hong), he delivered the pivotal point.

He has yet to prove himself in major tournaments, but the German open, although only 2/3* graded, had all the top players participating. It also must be noted that in the finals of that competition, lee beat Lin Dan convincingly, making him the only person to beat Lin in the last few months of '03

btw check http://www.worldbadminton.net/Portal/desktopmodules/biography.asp?pnumber=11704

it shows he also made to to 4 semis and 1 final too...

personally i don't like his style: too defensive.

4. da ding

da ding Regular Member

Student
    That's perfectly true... china really need 4 berths in the olympics for the WS: it has to be said, if you check the rankings, Xie is above both Wang Chen and Mia Audina in terms of individual points, the only reason the other two are above xie is because they are the best in their respective countries so get many team points in team competitions while xie has to compete with Zhang, GOng and Zhou.

I really wouldn't mind if xie came to hk... i might get to see her quite often:D :D :D

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I think this is exactly Xie's weakest link, as she does not have very good mental streghth. Of course, she's still young, and her performance lately surely give herself a boost in confidence. However, the "old generation" might suffering injuries and stamina problem after the past several months of tournies. So, things could be totally changed after they got enough rest in winter.