who will win Men's singles Gold ?

Discussion in 'Olympics ATHENS 2004' started by kwun, May 27, 2004.

?

men's singles gold?

Poll closed Aug 25, 2004.
  1. Bao Chunlai

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Chen Hong

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Peter Gade

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Taufik Hidayat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Sony Dwi Kuncoro

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Lee Hyun Il

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Lin Dan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Wong Choong Hann

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Xia Xuanze

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Among these long career group you mentioned, only one became world champion, Han Jian. And only one became All-England champ, Morten Frost. The others came close, but did not manage major titles.

BTW, Yang Yang/Zhao Jianhua started when they were teens, Jianhua even won All-England at age of not-yet 19. So by the time they retired, they've done a good 10 years service. The same can't be said of Sun Jun, Ji Xinpeng (last Olympic winner), Wu Wenkai, Dong Jiong and others.

It does some ominous, but looks like China is going to win again (unless they dish out pathetic displays like in the just concluded Malaysian Open).

#61 abedeng, Jul 13, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2004
  2. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    http://www.worldbadminton.net/Portal/documents/Qual_MS_040701.htm

The entry list for MS. Interestingly, this is at the bottom.

Not been selected
    6967 PALYAMA Dicky NED
    10546 ROCH Jens GER
    50500 HARIYANTO * Agus HKG
    7944 WIRATAMA ~ * Yohan Hadikusumo HKG

Four players including Sergio Llopis and a Portuguese player filled in their slots. How come those players were not selected by their country? They qualified on merit and they could give any top player a run for his money.

3. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    All right, I will say, Gade will win :)
    (I love to go against the odds)

Gade will beat Lin Dan by 3 sets.......

4. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    GO SONY!!!

I just saw the Thomas Cup semifinal Gade vs Sony.

Sony is awesome.

5. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Then why did Sony lose to Park? Even Park was made to look ordinary by LeeCW, but that's probably stage-fright setting in.

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Underdogs Will Prevail!

I think this Olympics will be one full of surprises and upsets as in the Malaysia Open. :D

We are approaching the final round and those players who have lucky draws and peak at the right time in August will certainly be better off. At the start of this poll, Lin Dan appears to be the undisputed player most likely to be the Olympics Champ. He, together with another favourite, Wong CH, has faltered at the MO and others, such as up-and-coming Lee Chong Wei, emerged as likely candidates for the coveted crown. The ever popular Xia Xuanze was not even selected, eclipsed by his younger compatriot Bao Chunlai, who was summarily eliminated by Lee at the MO. And Lee was not even considered as a possible winner in our poll!

Thus at the MO, the invincibility of the Chinese TC players, Lin Dan, Chen Hong, Bao and Xia, was shattered by youngsters Lee and South Korean, Park Sung-Hwan, another dark horse. Unless the chosen three Chinese have put in more effort in their preparations subsequently and are free from injuries, the other candidates. including Peter Gade, will surely be a great obstacle to their ambitions.

It now appears that one should expect the unlikely to happen at the Olympics. And I would certainly not rule out the following players who can create upsets and are therefore possible medal prospects:

Lee Chong Wei, Sony Kuncoro, Park Sung-Hwan (if he is selected) and our very own, Ronald Susilo (if injury escapes him).

May the best players win! :) :eek: :D

7. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

every olympics, (92, 96, 00) someone unexpected wins the medals. that's why i will go with wong choong hann, lee hyun il, and chen hong to win the medals, since no one is expecting them to win. i'm not so sure about the medal colors of the players, but i'm expecting lee or chen to get the gold, and wong probably silver or bronze. of course, this is just a long shot guess, but might happen;)

8. sunny

sunny New Member

Senior Sys Developer
    Go Sony Go!!!

I want sony to win because he is getting better and better. Also Joko is his coach and I like Joko very much. Sony will make Joko very proud if he wins. So go Sony go. :)

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    LOL, people who voted Xia Xuanze are wrong before the olympic starts :p

10. Ricky.S

Ricky.S New Member

Go Gade Go!

I'd like to see Peter Gade win :D but my money is on Lin Dan. ;)

In 1992 at the Barcelona Olympics when badminton had its first official debut, the Chinese tried to dominate with Zhao, Lui Jun and Wu Wenkai, only after that fixing of the All-England months before where Zhao threw the game in an all Chinese final so that Lui would have enough points to be allowed to enter the Olympics.

In the end it all backfired as they all lost, Zhao losing in a 3 setter to H.Susanto (not a player of Zhao's class) and then there being an all Indonesian final - Kusuma vs Ardy, both of which Zhao had beat many times before.

The moral being that who knows what will really happen on the day when the finalists walk on that court for what is probably their most important match ever!

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    no wonder i was puzzled about liu jun's win at AE. After the olympic, Lin Jun came to compete in the canadian open and he look very inconsistent, strokes and techniques were good but too many unforced errors. A 2nd tier korean beat Liu in the final.

12. shaha_kim

shaha_kim New Member

my prediction:
    SF : Lin Dan v Taufik Hidayat
    Chen Hong v Wong CH
    F : Taufik Hidayat v Chen Hong
    The winner is Taufik Hidayat (I hope)[​IMG]

13. trapped-never

trapped-never Regular Member

telecommunication engineer
    My tip is Peter Gade for victory. But my favourite player is Przemek Wacha. I think he can get to third round and then who knows?

14. IdOlCaMiLlAgAdE

IdOlCaMiLlAgAdE Regular Member

Go Gade !!!!!!!u will be the CHAMPION!!!!!:)

15. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    It's been heavily discussed why it's hard for Gade to beat Lin Dan

16. Morten

Morten Regular Member

who says that if Gade reahces the final it will be with Lin Dan on the other side of the net. Why not wait and see until the draw is released instead of preaching who will meet who.

17. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    well i find it hard to believe that lin dan won't make the finals...it's possible but the way he's been playing I don't see anything or anyone stopping him from getting to at LEAST the finals... if i were putting money on it, i'd put my money on him...

18. petergadefan

petergadefan Regular Member

Final

With out a doubt(well hopefully) it will be Lin Dan vs Peter Gade in the final it all depends on who prepares best for the match and who plays better on the day which determines who wins the GOLD.
    I'm backing Gade:D

19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    With Xia out of Olympics, WCH's chance just got doubled. One more time of fully support for my favorite player. :)

20. liverpool

liverpool Regular Member

It doest not look good for WCH, Taufik, or Gade. These three giants will fight to the last drop and the winner will be easy picking for Lin Dan. WCH have beaten both, but Gade especially has been pacing himself for this gold. He wanted it badly thus emulating Hoyer Larsen.

However, we might see Lin Dan bungling out to Ronald Susilo....a tough match for Lin Dan!! I am supporting WCH thus I hope our neighbour down south will do us a favour.

Lee Chong Wei, might be the real dark horse...He has beaten Chen Hong and Bao C Lai before. If Lin Dan got bungle out by Ronald, Li Yong Bo might face the wrath of China BA for living out Xia. Bao Chun Lai easilly rattle if the stake is high!! In addition I find his style to be very predictable. Advantage is his reach and height.

" Malaysia Boleh" ( Malaysia Can do it )

As for the Malaysian mens double, I just hate to comment. Now ranked No 1, I think it only adds more burden to the two " cartoons". If they enter the final I will probably fail the olympic dope test. That is because I need to take anti depressant drug to calm my nerve!!!!