Why are older rackets so expensive?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by baddy_chef, Jan 26, 2017.

1. baddy_chef

baddy_chef New Member

I recently started searching for a new racket since my voltric 70 finally died, I was surprised at the pricing for some of the rackets at the store. Older rackets, not used by many of the pros anymore, such as the nanospeed 9900 and arcsaber 10 are in the upward $200's - $300's. I find it weird because newer rackets, used by the pros and many international players, such as the jetspeed 10 are nearly half the price. I assume that with these older rackets being succeeded by the newer models; that these newer models would carry more advanced technology and as such be more expensive?

I can only think of one reason, which is the older models are no longer in production and therefore are harder to find? Am I missing something here, can anybody fill me in?

Thanks,

2. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    You've pretty much hit the nail on the head. The older racquets are no longer in production and so are more sought after and so can command a higher price. Classics such as the Ti10, Cab20/21, Br200, BR2 etc will still fetch several hundred dollars if in good condition.

baddy_chef likes this.
  3. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Hi Bro : You should buy rackets at sunrise click, its cheaper now.

baddy_chef likes this.
  4. JoeKing

JoeKing New Member

Sales & Marketing
    " baddy_chef " is correct that the new models of racket used to be in higher prices than those old models in the retail shops as most retail shops offer special discount to promptly sell and clean off the in stock old models . But in about no more than 10 years ago , there are more and more people interested in those old models as they perform in much better in overall performance than those new models ; and the retail shops realized the higher demand on those old models comparativley to those new models and therefore under the demand/supply theory , the prices of those old models inflated in much higher than those new models in the past 10 years .

5. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Agreed on older models perform better than most newer ones. Only top of the lines modern rackets use good quality HM carbon material as old rackets, my personal observations of many broken frames. My own racket collection is 80% from pre-2009 and i own more than 10. 3 SOTX, 1 Astec Pro, 4 CAB + 1 Victor