Why Bo/Mo earns more WR pts fr SC than Cai/Fu?

Discussion in '2011 Tournaments' started by Jonc108, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

2. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

3. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

So they got more points (thsn someone played lots of matches and win all of them) even lost every games? Or even just played one game & lost? And this is even counted in world ranking? So unfair...

What a ridiculous rule?!

This is against basic sports logic: pts are earned from your efforts, winner takes more. How professional is our BWF!

#3 Jonc108, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  4. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    the higher ur original world ranking
    u will get more even u lost it all
    just like lcw only play 3 match,but still earn more than lin dan
    old question

5. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

the system is not perfect, in fact not even close. but, what's the alternative? what they tried to is to award individual points for a team event. LCW is a good example, being the rank no 1 single player before the tournament but with a not so good MAS mixed team. individually he done all he can but the team ended up in the 5th to 8th band. what i found more unfair is players with no ranking before the t'ment can earn as little as 2 points even they won all their games.

6. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Yes, we all know it's not the best way to reward the pts for Team Events.

What alternative can you propose then?

Practically, the points for Team Events will be the ranking pts/10 (for those who have competed in at least 10 tourneys), or the ranking pts/number of tourneys (if it's less than 10). Plus the total ranking pts of the opponents if the player/pair manages to win/100.

7. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

how about dont count them at all. keep the team events out of the ind. ranking.

8. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Could consider the pts u mentioned above averaged down to number of matches, then x2 or x3 if they win, x1 if they played but lost, x0 if not play that match... At least that could be proportionate to their real participation & performance.

That could also be a fairer treatment.

9. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

What badMania mentions is how it is calculated right now, only 1 match with highest points result counts. You could argue it's Cai/Fu's own fault for being that low before the tournament started ;). But only 1 team event can count towards the WR. So the next Asian Team Championships or next TUC if they score more points that one will count.
    I don't think the more you play should reward more points since it is a team event and you are dependant of your teammates. You could be #1 in the world and the rest of your teammates not even in the top 10 and exit at the group stage even if you won all your matches ...

#9 demolidor, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  10. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    It's NOT a simple problem to fix. The easy solution would be to exclude team tournaments altogether, but we may also want team tournaments to mean something to the rankings. However, the current system is not perfect either.

11. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Simply put, the current system just averages the player's ranking points that count, add a bit (1%) of the beaten opponent's ranking points and that's it. That's the ranking points for that the tournament. Excel or flop, it is to the player's benefit to play at least one match in the team tournament. The points gained are mainly the average of the points he already have, so it will be placed somewhere in the middle of his ranking tournaments. It can only increase his ranking points.

So, we can say the ranking points gained is not a reflection of the performance in the tournament, which is counter to the intention of ranking points system. It's much more a reflection of the player's past performances.

My opinion is that if you do not win a single match in the tournament, you should get zero points, or at most the same amount of points you gain when you lose in R64 at the World Championships. This is regardless of the quality of the opponent. You should still win a match to prove that you've done something worthwhile in a tournament.

If you do win a match, then I think the quality of opponents should count (more than 1% of opponent's points). Say, the average of your opponent's ranking points? In the whole tournament, the ranking points gained will be from the highest-ranked beaten opponent.

There are still a lot of problems. Scratch pairings, for instance. Or possibilities of a player beating a very low-ranked opponent and losing to other very high-ranked opponents, thus only gaining minimal points. I do not profess to have the perfect system, not at all, but I think it's an improvement over the current system in the context of the team tournament ranking.

12. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

it's difficult if not impossible to have a perfect system.

Yet it must have a reasonable logic. for this particular team event pts, its logic is not acceptable from the basic principles of sports competition. It does not encourage competitive performance, doing good has no reward.

that's why I agree to the principles of your suggestions as bolded in the above quoted. Details could be finetuned.

13. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

This is actually the perfect solution, but it might be better to fix than to just get rid of it altogether.

14. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Doing good has no reward? How about winning for the team? I think that is incentive enough in a team tournament. Particpation shouldn't have a negative effect on your ranking if say your opponent happens to be a top player with average teammates and therefore in a lower pool. Theoretically it could be the case for every group match so you would be screwed as mentioned in the last paragraph by hcyong.

I think the points added from based on your opponent being so low is because in the lower divisions there isn't much to gain for a player like Ngyuen Tien Minh simply because his opposition would yield him little bonus points and put him at a disadvantage compared to his rivals who happened to be in Level 1.

At best we should just view it as a reward for a year's worth of work ;). I agree ideally no points would be at stake but might hurt incentive to play for who knows how many that don't stand a chance of winning at all ... (as a team)

15. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    BWF needs to do a lot of things to fix the system....the current one and very basic one is in the qualifying SS or Premier...if you lose 1 st round or 2nd round, we get same points..I have asked them to change it..the point for 1st round and 2 nd round loser should be different...
    All I can say..BWF is far away and I have pointed them , just take a look at Tennis' rules which makes more sense and still they will not do it...anyway...still pushing them to change...like if one seeded player/pair withdraws, it should be replaced by next ranking, and qualifier will occupy the spot from " the next ranking" spot...

16. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    This has nothing to do with a fair ranking, its about getting players to play the main BWF events. So if a player only plays ten events they want the TC etc to remain important o give it ranking points.

Its equally unfair when someone gets a wildcard for Worlds, maybe beats a player from south amercia first round and suddnely gets massive points, no system is perfect