Why do my Yonex rackets feel bad?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Elsie, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Elsie

Elsie New Member

Well, I got a chance to try a few other people's rackets at the club last night, and on recommendation as well as feel I went today to a shop in a nearby city (yes, a real shop - with all of about 15 rackets in, mostly Babolat) and bought a Babolat Carbon 100 Nitro (med flex, head light); toss up between that and the lower end Prime Blast. Toying also with the I Pulse Blast in the shop, felt lovely (head heavy, flex), but one at a time (and the Nitro was on special offer)...
    Liked the look of the apacs rackets online, and some of the Victors, but couldn't find any to test in person.
    Played again with the Yonex Voltric Lite last night, and was OK, especially when I narrowed the grip down again (removed the overgrip), but concluded definitely not a fast enough head for me.
    Compared my Yonex Arcsaber Lite to another in the shop and both felt equally as horrible. Gave it to a match player last night to try and they just said straight away how terribly flat and dead it felt, and soft strings (shop one was the same), so at least it's not just me.
    All a learning experience...

2. Wyne

Wyne Regular Member

Haha u just started play this year and u already tried many rackets. U should just try to stick with 1 or 2 racket 1st. Use until u get used to it. If still cant hit well in any kind of shots, then u need adjustment on way u grip, timing. Timing issue are common on new badminton player. Sometimes u got the right n boom hit, sometimes u got the really bad hit. Adjust yourself with it 1st.
    Its like when 1st time u drive a car, of coz u found it difficult to control and drive. Once u get used to it u can drive well even can be a racer lols.

3. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Additionally, the most common mistake coz of lack of knowledge is:
    1. Hey my fav player (LCW, LD, FHF, or whoever it is) use this holy ultimate weapon. I must have it!. Then you face a hard wall where you cant play well with it. Coz either you lack of skill & physical strength to use it or your style is completely different from those pro player you like.
    2. High tension is all the way. The higher the tension you can use the better you are. You buy the strongest racket & strung it for ridiciloisly high tension only to find your performance turn bad.
    3. We player play the racket & not the opposite. We win the match & not the racket. Different racket only help you or burdening you in small significant level. When the shuttle didnt pass, its player fault not the racket. Unless you already have decent basic skill, switching racket wont do you good. Have the basic, find your style, & then find your weapon.
    4. Clasifying your own skill level. Im intermediate, im advance... When you start to do that you create your own wall. What is the parameter telling someone is intermediate or advance? Its pretty unclear. I dont even know in what position im in. Maybe im that good, or maybe the one around me is not that good so i look magnificant. Well, you wont know how is your skill until you go out of the cage, playing with many different player around the world. Sky has no limit, so does our skill, & we ourself who always create our own wall.

BalajiSethuraman and ucantseeme like this.
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Not a fast head... more likely due technique differences between tennis, squash and badminton. Badminton has far more finger technique in the stroke which is difficult to recognise.

If the strings are soft, how would you know the racquet is a problem?

ucantseeme likes this.
  5. Wyne

Wyne Regular Member

Haha yah agree wif u. I've seen few player like that, even in my own group. Its like wahh LCW using at900p, im gonna buy 1. Aiya too heavy hard to swing, injured wrist. Nvr end up buy lighter racket. But nvr change, heard LCW using vt zforce, wahh go buy again, heard zforce 2 wahhh go buy again. End up those high end racket just sleep in his bag lols. LCW wannabe. Some even think LCW play well becos strung at 30lbs tats y he play good n world no 1. Then he strung at 30lbs too, hitting sound like using playwood hit shuttle. End up injured wrist. end up also strung at 22lbs then play slightly well.
    If missed a hit, or loose a game, racket always the thing to be blamed even the poor shuttle alao can be blamed for loosing a game lols.
    Own level of play, well even those cocky beginner player can say a good player wins becoa of luck, and try to coaching the good player
    But im wif u bro, im not pro player. I start from totally beginner at young age. I dont even knw my own level yet, but sometimes i can beat good player few time, but can lose to beginner player few times too. Lols.

6. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    So you end up buying a new racket with factory strings to replace the horrible feel of your previous racket with factory strings? Ohhhh boy.

And your Voltric Lite (39.xg wet head weight) was too head heavy and not fast enough?

s_mair likes this.
  7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

And why coming here seeking for help in the first place and then fully ignoring a number of consistent advices that would even save some money?!

I wonder how many more new rackets (factory strung of course) OP is going to hoard bevor finally visiting a local stringer to get only useful update that’s needed? The rest is just going on court and play as much badminton as possible.

ucantseeme likes this.
  8. Wyne

Wyne Regular Member

And it is 1st time i heard new beginner badminton player trying so many rackets. Up to 15 rackets huh, no joke. Lols. If 2 or 3 still fine. Myb u just simply need 3 different racket with different spec, 1 is head heavy, 1 is even balance and another 1 head light. Play with each 1 for few hours. Myb this week u play wif head heavy, nextweek with even balance and another week with headlight. Get the feeling 1st.
    I guess ur biggest issue myb, just myb not much from the racket, i guess from the way u grip cos u used to play tennis. Tennis and badminton is totally different. Badminton u play with faster pace. In badminton wrist control play most part of the game. Not all shot u need a full swing like tennis do. U need time to get used to it. I guess ur arm n wrist strenght not yet used to badminton. Its like ur rhythm is still in tennis, but do more adjustment and slowly u will into badminton rhythm. Just my opinion.

9. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Just because one is a pro in other sport, switching to other sport, doesnt mean you just lower your level abit. One will become totally beginner as each sport have its unique movement pattern.
    Only 1 thing that passed to other sport that definitely help. Body fittness & stamina. The rest, your reflex, body memory, habbit, & all will be reduced alot.

As many other suggested.
    Pick 1 racket & stay with it for awhile, like 1-2 year. Restrung it with better string & preferable string tension. Get a better basic techique like footwork, hitting consistency, correct movement (split step, pronation, supination) & then afterthat experiment with many different racket.

s_mair and Wyne like this.
  10. Wyne

Wyne Regular Member

Agree. It does take time to get used to 1 racket especially when u are beginner.
    Me my 1st racket was carbonex 21 special, yah its quite heavy actually. By that time i dont know anything about racket, 0 knowledge, i know yonex is made for racket lols. I choose carbonex 21 special not becos its good, i dont even know its a good racket that time. I choose it cos it look nice, i love the color black n gold lols. Then when i go to court met my friend who actually good player. He saw my racket n told me wow this is good racket, u make a good choice. Me like owh okay...hahaha.
    Honestly i cant even play well for 1 year, until 2nd year i slowly feels the racket and started to love it. I can control it better than previous year. Until i got good clear, smash, backhand, drop shot, slice shot. But not long after that i crash my racket with my partner and my racket immediately break, my fren using at900p only scratch
    After that then i started to choose other racket wisely. I got myself arcsaber 10. Get used to it few months. After that i love it. Then voltric til now.

11. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    TBH nowadays the borders of head heavy, even and headlight became so foggy and blurred due a weight range of 20g difference, while the headweight just shift between 10g difference max. I remember pretty well that I strung a Voltric lite several years ago. IMO a repainted VT5 (without the FX). Headweight wet was around 39.x g and had a bit flex in the shaft. Was 5 years ago a good racket to start, is nowadays a good racket to start.

FME 99% of the modern 4U rackets are in the 39-42g window (wet), while most modern 3U are in the 41-44g window (wet) in terms of head weight.

IMO the BP became more useless and irrelevant than 10 years ago, where the standard was just 3U as default and 4U some kind of exotic and mostly for headheavy rackets.

HH, HL and even are very personal attributes you can't measure. Inside a weight range noticeable but if you have rackets of different weight class, it become totally nonsense.

s_mair, Cheung and speCulatius like this.
  12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think the words "try 15 rackets" has been misinterpreted. In a shop, "try" means handling a racquet and just holding it and swinging it a bit. The only limit is the range of racquets available.

Curious people swing more racquets :)

@Elsie probably your easiest first move would be to change the strings and tension and giving some time to settle into the change.

ucantseeme likes this.