Why Does Denmark Stand Out ?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by pujuma, Aug 27, 2012.

1. pujuma

pujuma Regular Member

I'm new to Badminton. And I've been wondering.

Why does Denmark stand out amongst other Western/European countries in this sport ?

Is it because they put more emphasis on this sport than the others ? if so, why ?

2. jesspoint

jesspoint Regular Member

3. FlamingJam

FlamingJam Regular Member

Research Student/PT Coach
    Badminton very popular in denmark, historically since the 50s this has always been the case. Originally its because due to weather and cold winters alot of sports in Denmark are played indoors like Handball supposedly the indoor halls in Denmark dating back to the 20s and 30s were too small for tennis courts so the badminton was introduced and quickly found favour. Historical playing of a sport always helps if your father and mother played its more likely there children will etc etc, also badminton is part of many schools sports lessons so most children are introduced to it. I would say italso helps that the Danes seem to have a interest in a wider range of sports than say here in the UK or at least are less dominated by there own 'Traditional' sports. In the UK 98% of media coverage is given (outside of the olympics) to Football, Rugby, Cricket, Tennis and Golf these are our traditional sports and one of these sports is usually played by most children. The USA has Am Football, Basketball, Baseball, Soccer, Golf etc which dominate, Germany is similar. Denmark has football and tennis but these don't dominate all coverage and attention like in other western countries.

Why is there more emphasis on badminton? Well success breeds success Denmark are a known successful badminton nation with players like Morten Frost, sports which are successful gain funding and attention and so continue to grow, also the players usually become coaches.

It helps greatly in Denmark that semi professional clubs started and so the general standard is increased, there's are alot of places to play badminton int the country and i would say its more mainstream and cheaper than the UK. Also there is a higher percentage of good quality players in a smaller landmass than any other European or western country with well established coaching structures which will always help develop good numbers of talented players.

4. hew128

hew128 Regular Member

Previously IT
    My Indonesian friends tell me there are many Indonesian living in Denmark. They do have a passion for badminton