Why So Many Head-Heavy Rackets and So Few Head-Light Ones???

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by m3w78, Feb 18, 2015.

1. m3w78

m3w78 Regular Member

real estate
    It seems that almost everyone in the world of badminton (falsely) believes that head-heavy rackets equate to more power, and head-light rackets equate to less power/more touch. This is why so many players are only looking for head-heavy rackets. I found out long ago that for my specific swing, I need a head-light racket to produce the most power. I can produce far more power with a HL racket than I can with a HH one. The problem is that there are so many people blindly looking for HH rackets, that the big companies make very few HL rackets. It's very frustrating. I wish there were more people in this industry who would educate lower level players to properly analyze the right spec of racket for their swing. Maybe then, there would be a lot more people looking for HL rackets. Too many people think that they're just for girls.

I know there are a lot of people who will say that Yonex and Victor have entire lines of HL rackets. But they don't. The rackets they claim are HL, are infact just balanced.

Is there anyone else who is frustrated trying to find truly head-light rackets?

2. kaisterkai

kaisterkai Regular Member

Student
    I agree! There isn't much difference if one plays properly. Just look at the pros. Doesn't matter which racket head light or head heavy. Result of smashing speed is the same.

3. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    I'm a extreme head light racket user for the most part and you are correct, that suits my game and gives me plenty of power to line up with my swing speed. I also agree that some 'head light' rackets are labelled incorrectly when they are infact balanced or even slightly head heavy in some instances.

There is a place for head light rackets in badminton and not restricted to beginners or casual players.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Imho your choice of racket balance is dictated by not only your discipline and style of play but also your swing speed and which type of shuttle.

#4 visor, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  5. kaisterkai

kaisterkai Regular Member

Student
    Mmm correct me if I'm wrong.. but with a head light.. It actually requires more skills and technique to use. Head heavy is if you get the momentum going then the racket does the rest. But head light if you misuse your swing or power... you end up with nothing...

But anyway.. that's just a thought :)

But you know. The singles pro uses head heavy therefore everyone likes head heavy.

6. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Bit of speculation. Basic physics suggests that having more weight between the end point and the moment results in more force. This makes it easier to generate powerful hits.

I don't think there's much difference between head heavy and head light in terms of touch. I think that HL are much easier to move into position faster; head heavy tend to be more sluggish.

HH are probably preferable for singles players because it's not often as fast paced as doubles (less driver rallies, more defensive shots). HL makes more sense for doubles.

Personally, my swing is better with a HH racket, but I can appreciate your frustration. Do Li Ning or Victor not offer more HL rackets? I think Yonex seem to be going a bit crazy on head heavy (Z-Slash, Z-Speed, Z-Force, NR900).

7. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

Head light sucked for me at the net, too easy to hit it long.

8. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Also the Yonex Nanoray range is meant to depict 'head light' series, yet Z-Speed and NR900 are certainly NOT head light. This is very confusing and frustrating...lol.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything.

9. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    IMO you are all wrong just by judging a racket as headlight, even and heavy just by balance point. I judge rackets by swing weight which get more in touch than any relation of headweight/overall weight.
    I agree that some Nanorays are not right labelled but you find really headlight rackets in the Nanoray line. You also find headlight racket when you try to choose a Victor or Lining. The problem is that many people want that what the pros use and any lower number sounds like crap.
    So what is wrong to choose a 4U or even 5U racket to get the headlight feeling and a lower head weight to fit your swing speed?
    You should also count in that many pros use damn high tensions. Headlight/Racket with low headweight are not as sturdy/more fragile as headheavy/high headweight rackets.
    Pros have alot stength, superb technique and fast hands, they can handle racket with more headweight better than an average player without any slow down.
    You should also take a look at badminton history and racket development. Today's 4 U head heavy banger are just a hoax, comparing them to a 110g headlight racket, which also has a 44g+ swingweight.

#9 ucantseeme, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  10. leongwaipak

leongwaipak Regular Member

Accountant
    Don't forget shaft tension and strength has changed significantly over the years.

I think Carlton racquets are very head light but very fragile as a result.

11. luckyboyl

luckyboyl Regular Member

The head light or mid-light is ok to find, for me I would rather see more flexible rackets. I think the pro's are trained enough to handle HH+stiff flex easily....my arms simply can not do that, or not for a longer period at least. I also agree that to use HL, you need to have more skills to play effectively on technical base. With HH - high power rackets, you can use your smashing stamina to score during low to intermediate levels.

12. chienming

chienming Regular Member

manager
    Badminton players need education is how to choose their own racket, rather than to criticize the head remake of good or bad, a lot of changes in the racket, or if you prefer to smash in the backcourt often, but also a low-level player, you can take 5U (or6U) head heavy racket, if you like to control, if you are technical and strength enough, you can take a 3U or 4U, if you like to control or defense, you can choose belong the kind of control or defense racket, but do not push too much yourself to take exceed extent, or do not belong to their own style of racket.

13. hannster

hannster Regular Member

Principal Architect
    Well said. Too many "couch critics" hiding behind their phones or computers, some of whom you can't see, thinking their opinions should be applied to the larger badminton population... well, to each his own style, and to each his own racket!