Winter Olympics 2010

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by madbad, Feb 9, 2010.

1. kish-mah-ash

kish-mah-ash Regular Member

my god, can't you guys see, this is like the mini-version of the nhl all-star game? all da u.s. and canada playaz are all nhl starz! the level of competition & skillz between both countries and the rest of the world ain't even funnie.

2. madbad

madbad Regular Member

yes

3. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

hey guys, canada wins 14 golds! what a game eh?

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i find this is amazing where winning can be a difference of 1/100th of a second, JJ Anderson got a bad start off the gate by 0.76 second and still won the gold medal run by 0.35 second over B. Karl.

Attached Files:

5. madbad

madbad Regular Member

The Media All-Star Team, selected by members of the accredited media at Canada Hockey Place, was announced at the end of the Men's Ice Hockey Gold medal game on Sunday.

All-Star Team

Goaltender: Ryan MILLER (USA)

Defenceman: Brian RAFALSKI (USA)

Defenceman: Shea WEBER (CAN)

Forward: Pavol DEMITRA (SVK)

Forward: Jonathan TOEWS (CAN)

Forward: Zach PARISE (USA)

Most valuable player: Ryan MILLER (USA)

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Well at least Getzlaf is balding :p

Excellent game. US Youth development program is starting to pay of in the seniors as well now. And the way I like finals, extra innings :D Shootout would've been the icing but can't have it all. 2-2 25 secs from time, gotta love it! Especially after 8 minutes of dump-n-chase by Canada :rolleyes: well not much chasing.
    Oh well all's well that ends well ... or something ;).

#186 demolidor, Feb 28, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  7. V_forever

V_forever Regular Member

Student
    hehe from what my friends are telling me, its exploding in basically everywhere in Vancouver right now :D

8. druss

druss Regular Member

I don't understand the point here? There are professional leagues in Europe as well, maybe the NHL has better funding so many of their better players come to play in the NHL but they go back to Europe to play for their countries in the Olympics...

That's like saying since Germany and Norway are the best two in cross country skiing and biathlon that we shouldn't have those sports either....

Some countries are always going to be better at certain sports than others. That's why Africa has good representation at the summer olympics and almost none in the winter.

9. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    damn... too busy to catch up the olympic. :(

10. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Team Canada for the gold!

11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

well..

- Are you Canadians happy now?? no more feeling upset like last week?..got the most important medal of them all??..;)

- As for the much hyped ice hockey final, all i can say is it'll benefit the sport even more, esp. for the NHL.

- Saw few brief minutes of the Closing ceremony. Didn't notice any spectacular special fx like the Opening ceremony.
    ..the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi should be quite interesting esp. with all that happened in this yr's edition to the Russian squad. Maybe we'll see more drama??..:confused:

12. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

what a waste for finland to get the bronze in ice hockey:(

#192 george@chongwei, Mar 1, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  13. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

I don't think Finland could have beat team USA, which was red hot heading towards the final.

USA snipers like Kane and Parise were too fast for the Finnish defense to cope with. Besides, the USA played a Canadian style of hockey; speed and hard banging(forecheck). The hard hitting takes a toll on the fragile Finnish defence and thus create many turnovers for the Americans to score.

The USA goaltender, Ryan Miller was name the MVP (Most Valuable Player) in the Olympic Ice Hockey tournament.

Anyway Finland at least got a bronze, defending champion Sweden got nothing.

#193 Badmintan, Mar 1, 2010
  14. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Agree. The better team of course would be team USA.
    LOL.funny to see the gold, silver and bronze medal all go to the same nation as in the men's and women's ice hockey this time:D

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

jarome iginla

A late invitation to join Team Canada's summer camp in preparation for the 2002 Winter Olympics helped Iginla emerge as a star player. He was so surprised by the invite he initially thought one of his Flames teammates was playing a prank on him. He scored two goals + 1 assist in the gold medal game, a 5–2 victory over the United States, as Canada won its first Olympic gold medal in 50 years.

Iginla participated in his second Olympics at the 2006 Turin games, recording three points in six games. The Canadians were unable to defend their 2002 gold medal, losing to the Russians in the quarter-finals.

Named an alternate captain for the 2010 team in Vancouver, he opened the tournament with a hat trick against Norway. He finished as the tournament leader with five goals, and assisted on Sidney Crosby's overtime winning goal in the gold medal final against the United States. First Olympic Gold on home soil.

Jarome plays for Calgary Flames since 1996, Captain since 2003.

#195 cooler, Mar 1, 2010
  16. druss

druss Regular Member

Why is that a waste? Both Sweden and Russia, stronger teams by far, didn't get anything.

You'll also notice that both Finnish mens and womens teams were very happy with their Bronze while both USA teams were close to crying over their Silvers.

17. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Many questions now arise for Canada's gold medal winning athletes. Will the funding to keep them at the top continue? Will their names, so wildly celebrated for 2 weeks, disappear from the sports pages of the media?

To continue to develop some of these sports, considered lesser in Canada, there needs to be consistent support from the govt and corporate community and exposure to the public. I wonder how many will remember their names in a year's time.

18. madbad

madbad Regular Member

During the 3rd period intermission of the hockey game, a bunch of us threw in some $$ and each chose a name of who would score the winning goal.

In honour of demolidor, I chose Getzlaf. :D:D Of course I didn't win the $$ but who cares now.

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

hahaha, good point.
    The name crosby will be remembered for a long time but this pro athlete doesn't need funding:D I will remember queen yuna kim record scoring gold, where do i send her my donation?:D:D

20. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Care of madbad :D:D