World Championships 2007 - August 19 - Finals

Discussion in 'World Championships 2007' started by robin7, Aug 18, 2007.

1. baldybodhi

baldybodhi Regular Member

Kido Birthday was August 12 and Hendra Birtday August 25..winning the biggest tournament in this year hopefully will give the best present for their b'day...Congrats guys, we proud with all of you!!!

2. RSLdude

RSLdude Regular Member

Manager
    This is now the symbol of the powerhouse in the history of professional badminton:

[​IMG]

Sang Saka Merah Putih

3. Speed & Power

Speed & Power Regular Member

Nope it is still China

4. Speed & Power

Speed & Power Regular Member

[​IMG]

Zhong Guo cai Jia You!!!

5. shenron

shenron Regular Member

That is why Malaysians feel ashamed of themselves to be called one of badminton powerhouses as their players are always not playing at their maximum ability or quality. They just lack of confidence, that can`t even be fixed by Rexy.

Proton World Championships: Rexy slams prima donnas

19/08/07, 11:55:49

By : K.M. Boopathy

AS Malaysia’s World Championships campaign came to a sad end with the defeat of men’s doubles Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah by Indonesians Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan at Putra Stadium yesterday, coach Rexy Mainaky did not mince his words in slamming his charges, especially the younger ones.
    Rexy, who went into the tournament with the lofty target of an all-Malaysian men’s doubles semi-finals, was left to eat humble pie as not one pair made the final.

None of the pairs showed during the tournament that they were up to the task of ending Malaysia’s 30-year wait for a first ever World Championships title.

To blame Rexy would be unfair, although the Indonesian said he would accept all the criticism, but what is worrying is that complacency seems to have crept into his players, especially the younger ones.

Rexy said Tan Boon Heong’s concentration has wavered while others like Koo Kien Keat, Fairuzizuan Tazari, Zakry Latif and Ong Soon Hock were not fully focused.
    "It’s a big disappointment that we didn’t win the World Championships and I feel that Koo-Tan could have made the difference if they had won their match last night (on Friday). I’m not too happy with Tan’s commitment in training as he has lost his concentration. A quiet Tan has become noisy, " said Rexy.

"The players are already behaving like champions despite not having won anything. If they can’t win the World Championships at home, what chance do they have in the Olympics?

"The preparation was the same as the Asian Games’. If they players feel they are not prepared, they should stay back and work on it and not rush back.

"We are responsible for the failure. There will be a meeting on Monday where a revamp will take place and three training sessions will be carried out.

"This is to ensure the players do not wander after their morning sessions and this will also make sure that the younger players will not have too much time to focus elsewhere."

Rexy said he had caught the players taking long lunch breaks and returning just in time for evening training sessions at 4pm and such lack of focus had been affecting their overall preparation.

He said he has had enough of Soon Hock’s excuses of being injured and Fairuz lamenting that he is affected by the crowd.

Though Rexy was disappointed that Tan Fook-Wan Wah lost in the semi-finals, he said their change in attitude was the reason for their victory over China’s world champions and top seeds Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng in the last eight. Tan Fook-Wan Wah lost 22-20, 28-26 to Indonesia’s Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan yesterday.

"The veteran pair are the first to report for training and the last to leave. They willingly train extra while the same can’t be said of the others."

As for his fate, Rexy said he would leave it to the BA of Malaysia and the National Sports Council, and he added that the country can expect no medals from next year’s Beijing Olympics if the players continue behaving like prima donnas.

#945 shenron, Aug 19, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  6. bic33

bic33 Regular Member

sorry for the unnecessary "extra", LYD, TBH and KKK were all born on september according to ibf's website... LYD sept 11, 1988 KKK sept 18, 1985, TBH sept 18, 1987.. that makes.. KKK 3yrs older than LYD :D

more importantly, KKK and TBH do have the same birthdates???

7. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    go Rexy! show us what you can do with Malaysian badminton!

8. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    you mean you just realised :p ?

9. haifeng4ever

haifeng4ever Regular Member

Congrats to Markis/Hendra....They deserved to be the WC Champion....

Though not really a big fan of Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan, but still wish to give them credits on winning the WC title based on their brilliant perfomance for the semi and final. I've always like to watch MD more than anything else due to the lightning speed. Both pairs played an impressive game today. Especially impressed by Markis/Hendra defensive skills. JJS/LYD were defeated by their clumsiness. U cannot win a match by only sending powerful smashes. And Markis/Hendra mental strengh will almost perfect. Not the bit fear by the korean pairs' smashes. Best match of the day is MD and I do enjoy it.
    This words will for Markis/Hendra....
    I learned that BECOMING A WORLD CHAMPION is ONCE considered as IMPOSSIBLE, however both of u did it!:D;):D

10. shenron

shenron Regular Member

For Malaysia, becoming Olympic and world champions is a dream. For China and Indonesia, it is a reality.

11. bic33

bic33 Regular Member

i thought they it was september 17 or like 11...
    having the same birthdays, they MUST show that they are in sync all the time... i hope in OG they are ready..:D

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Sunday August 19, 5:56 PM
    Badminton-Lin Dan follows in hero Yang's footsteps

KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 19 (Reuters) - China's Lin Dan retained his world badminton title on Sunday with a masterful 21-11 22-20 success over ninth-seeded Indonesian Sony Dwi Kuncoro and joined boyhood hero Yang Yang in the sport's record books.
    Yang won back-to-back world titles in the late 1980s and until Sunday no other man had defended his crown successfully.

"I liked him a lot," Lin told a media conference. "He's been my idol since I was a boy and I worked hard to follow in his footsteps."

The Chinese has been in excellent form all week and carried it through to the final as he raced clear from 11-8 to clinch the first game readily at 21-11.

At 12-5 to Lin in the second the writing looked to be on the wall only for the brave Sony, with plenty of backing in the 10,000 strong crowd, to battle back and take a 19-17 lead.

Like a true champion, Lin moved into overdrive, produced two outstanding smashes and a super finesse at the net to stave off the crisis and head once more to triumph.

At the end, both men lay flat on their backs, outstretched and drawn with emotion.

It was a far cry from rainy Glasgow in June when Lin lost a Sudirman Cup match, albeit a dead rubber, and drew sharp words from coach Li Yongbo who questioned his commitment.

All that is in the past and Lin is already looking ahead to next year's Olympics in Beijing and the chance to erase from the memory the Athens Games where he lost in the first round.

He told reporters: "I want to start getting the foundations in, playing better in every tournament and getting the qualifying points."

13. shanisen3200

shanisen3200 Regular Member

Goldsmith
    In term of skill, I think it's not just a dream for Malaysians to become the WC and Olympic. But before to become a winner , the mentality should be developed.:)

14. shenron

shenron Regular Member

Lack of confidence and hunger for success that keeps Malaysians dreaming. It is not about skill and talent. They got KLCC and twin towers but third world mentality (vandalism, bad driver habit, poor service, piracy and etc). Sorry to say this but it is a truth.

15. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Disagree. They r all the best players for the younger generation. However, they r not ready to be the world champion yet, still hv lots of work to do.

16. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Badminton's 2nd powerhouse:
    [​IMG]

I was watching the finals on TV with my old friends [all badminton fans]! Yes THE Superpower is China, but INA are no pushovers! Even our WD has shown signs of life! Ok we have to admit our performance in WS is a different matter...

17. smashko

smashko Regular Member

I would say it is exactly the opposite. They were over confident and too hungery before the WC so that they became nervous when they faced real challenges and could not perform to the full of their skills. I hope the early defeats can serve LCW and KKK/TBH in the same way as 2004 OG to LD.

18. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Well, had a lot of fun with Ants, Loh, Kim, ctjcad et al after the finals today, here's my recap of the finals day action:-

First off, as expected, finals day action was a lot less "intense" than semis and q-finals.

XD - Today we saw a slightly hesitant Gao Ling at the net, which allowed Lilyana Natsir to be a bit more adventurous. And when the Indonesians had a very good start, the Chinese was uncharacteristically unable to wrest control. Zheng Bo's smashes lack sting, and he was unable to anticipate returns of serve properly. Along with inspired attacking play from Nova Widianto, it was a relatively comfortable Indonesian victory, almost as easy as their S'pore Open q-final win.

WS - What can I say, Wang Chen just couldn't find her range today. Zhu Lin hardly raised a sweat. A perfect finals mismatch.

MS - Lin Dan showed why he is the best there is, no question. On a day when all his major opponents failed to show up, Lin Dan played practically at 80% pace to outlast Sony Dwi Kuncoro. A late brave effort in the 2nd game from Sony was ultimately foiled. Nonetheless, a good result for the Indonesian and we expect him to return to the top fold and join his more illustrious fellow ex-WJC semifinalists LD, BCL and LCW at top 10.

WD - Yang Wei/Zhang Jiewen made a strong case of why they should be retained together to defend their Olympic crown. Almost flawless defence (yup, they were returning point blank smashes), calmness even when down (1-7 in 1st game and 13-16 in 2nd game) and potent attack all boiled down to a winning recipe. Wonder what LYB will do now ......

MD - Most interesting match but also the shortest. Koreans didn't play as well as they could, probably giving too much respect to Kido's smashes by placing themselves further from the net when under attack. Lee Yong Dae's positioning and touch was off, a lot of simple net kills went out and he got caught flatfooted with Indonesian dropshots a few times. Kido's smashes were telling and Setiawan contributed with timely interceptions at the net. Indonesia are back as a badminton force .......

19. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    2 out of 5

Sony was not in the match till the ending of the 2nd game. If he took the 2nd game, he could've beaten a tired LD. But LD was sharp in smashes & his game plans worked today.

Wang Chen lost her form that beat Zhang Ning. The way Wang lost was just like how XXF & ZN did.

KOR MD were totally stopped by their opponents from playing their attacking games. The INA pair used the same tactics that beat MAS pair.

Yang/Zhang were awesome in smashes & solid in defense. They deserved the title.

The CHN XD pair were totally outplayed by the INA.

#959 robin7, Aug 19, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  20. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    We have problem!

We certainly hope our Malaysian players can do well in Olympic but hope is one thing and reality is the other. If we couldn't win with all the advantageous we had at home in WC then how the hell we can win in Peking Olympic? Unless the mental strength of our players toughen in this few short months else we may do even worse in Olympic 2008. Learn something from our neighbor Indonesia, once players' skill is there to compete against world best, they will find way to win, not excuses to lose :crying:
    We have serious problem that everyone aware of without solution. We keep on hiring high profile coaches to improve players skill without seeing good results(except Rexy), is about time to hire someone who can maximize players potential from psychological point of view. As much as we dislike Li Yongbo, he does bring out the best of his players on court, that is the mold for our next head coach(nothing against Yap, just my personal opinion)