World Championships 2007 - August 19 - Finals

Discussion in 'World Championships 2007' started by robin7, Aug 18, 2007.

1. badMania

badMania Regular Member

As the dust of this World Championships settled, I believe we will be reflecting of the what-ifs and what's next. Meanwhile, let me congratulate the Winners of this year's WC once again.

The first match of the day was the Mixed Doubles with the overwhelming favorite Zheng Bo/Gao Ling squaring off with the 2005 Winner, Nova Widianto/Lilyana Natsir. There was a worry that Gao Ling might be exhausted after her two rubber-set matches yesterday. That turned out to be the crucial factor! Gao Ling was noticably tired while Zheng Bo was not at his usual attacking mode.

Nova/Butet was quick to asset themselves and capitalize on Zheng/Gao's numerous errors in the initial few minutes. Suddenly, the Chinese pair was finding themselves 2-11 down at the interval of the first set :eek: Yet, the no 1 pair started to find their rthym and slowly cut the lead to just 3 points at 19-16 :cool: However, the INA pair was unwilling to let the Chinese close the gap any further and finished the game off 21-16.

The second set began in the similar fashion as the INA pair was quick to unsettle their opponent. The scoreline was however much closer as they led 11-7 at the interval. However, the gap started to widen and the remaining match turned out to be an anticlimax. The INA pair actually managed to win it 21-14.

So, Nova Widianto/Lilyana Natsir collected their second World Championships title and they did that by beating China's top 2 pairs, including the "unbeatable" Zheng Bo/Gao Ling. Right now, they remain the only pair who have beaten the World No 1 pair twice :D

2. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I was hoping for Wang Chen to win the Women's Singles title. But, Zhu Lin turned out to be much hungrier as she came out really strong. Wang Chen found no answer to Zhu's fast pace and attacking game. Zhu Lin wrapped up both games pretty quickly and at 22 years old, she is definitely a force to be reckoned with for the Olympics next year.

Meanwhile, I have commented on the Men's Singles match in the other thread. Lin Dan is simply too dominant at the moment and he definitely deserved this second World title! Sony Dwi Kuncoro lacked confidence in the early stage, which contributed to his downfall. But, I gave him credits for fighting back in the second set and narrowly yielded the second set 20-22 to "Super Dan".

The Women's Doubles match is an all-Chinese affair. Once again, Gao Ling was too tired. I noticed that she looked pale at the closing stage of the second set :eek: Yang Wei/Zhang Jiewen was solid all-around as they managed to claw back when they were down by 3 to 4 points in both sets.

3. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Anyone scored 5 out of 5 in predictions?

I guess many bet on Gao Ling winning the double golds, Wang Chen winning the WS & KOR pair winning the MD.

4. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Finally, the match of the day between my favorite MD pair Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan and Jung Jae Sung/Lee Yong Dae. The match turned out to be close and exciting. Both pairs are evenly matched and they were level at 6-6 before Kido/Hendra started to up the tempo and suddenly found themselves 11-7 ahead at the interval of the first set. However, the Koreans came back to level at 11-11. Yet again, Kido/Hendra nudged ahead 14-11 and managed to keep the 3 points gap until it was 19-16. The last few points were nail-biting and eventually Kido/Hendra nicked it 21-19.

The second set was pretty much similar as Kido/Hendra looked comfortable and controlled the game as they were once again 11-7 ahead. However, the Koreans always find a way to level it and the two pairs exchanged points until it was 19-19. Once again, the INA pair proved to be the superior pair in these crucial moments and they were celebrating when Jung Jae Sung's return could not cross the net! Kido/Hendra won the match 21-19, 21-19.

I noticed that the INA pair did not blindly rely on smashes this time (only 13 smash winners as compared to 15 by the KOR pair; 19 against CTF/LWW and 24 against Tony/Candra). Kido's smashes were not that relentless, nevertheless, they were still very lethal! However, they compensated it with some impressive net plays by Hendra (16 net winners to 15 by the KOR pair). Their defense also looked to have improved and there were not many unforced errors.

On the other hand, the KOR pair looked tentative and could not impose on Kido/Hendra the attacking game as much as they would like to. Lee Yong Dae also committed some netting errors, resulting in cheap points for Kido/Hendra.

So, hopefully Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan can use this victory as a platform to show to the rest of the world that they are really the World Champion :cool: Right now, only Fu Haifeng/Cai Yun and Koo Kien Keat/Tan Boon Heong at their very best could beat Kido/Hendra!

#964 badMania, Aug 19, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  5. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Wow, u got 4 out of 5

:eek:Wow, u got 4 out of 5.:D
    :eek:Wow, u got 0 out of 5.:D

6. Darien

Darien Regular Member

IT
    much much agree....

7. THEbaschti

THEbaschti Regular Member

Wow, only my prediction for MS was correct...^^
    It was a very entertaining WC, with many many surprises and emotion, I really enjoyed watching the games and livescores while cheering with you guys.
    I'm looking forward to the next big tournament, where we'll hopefully see a great-playing LCW, Taufik, PG (although he didn't play bad...but...ya know).

Congratz to all the new World Champs!!

8. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Lindan played well. Too bad SOny didnt manage to capitalise on the 2nd set. LinDan would be in trouble if they have a 3rd set. Sony's fitness level was definately better than Lindan this time. But its all about experience. Lindan kept looking at LYB in the 2nd set and sort of asking for guidance and it worked. Even LYB acknowledged that SOny played a good game. He himself know that LD will be in trouble if the game stretch into 3rd set.

9. byelnats

byelnats Regular Member

That is the crucial difference between Sony and Taufik. If it is Taufik, he will be toast as soon as he lost the first set. Anyway, Lin is definitely the world best now, but if Sony keeps playing consistently and there is no injury in the near future, he should be able to challenge him. This is just a minor set back. I think Sony is mature enough to use this as a learning experience to get into a whole new level.

10. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Yet Lin Dan really knows how to get out of trouble. When Sony applied pressure to retake the lead late in the 2nd game, Lin Dan immediately applied his power game, even smashing to keep up the pressure while slightly off balance.

A mark of a brilliant thinking player .....

11. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

And that's explaint why he is world No. 1 and 2 times World Champion...........and he handled the presure well :eek:not like LCW...:(

12. staples

staples Regular Member

A true #1 Lin Dan is.
    He's the only top seed to win the Gold. Lin Dan lived up to everybody's expectations.

13. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    IMHO.. LD still can't be considered a truth champion here due to many upsets & he wouldn't needs to beat some top players from others countries enroute to winning this World's Crown.. But TH yes, coz he defeat the main nemesis which is LD himself to claims the prestigious crown..

14. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner

So, you are saying that it is Lin Dan's fault that TH, LCW got eliminated early, and because of those two losing... now Lin Dan is not a true champion... Have you lost your mind???:confused:

So, Lin Dan must schedule a draw himself, that allows him to play against TH, and LCW without anybody interrupt the draw, so he can finally be called a true champ???:rolleyes:

Plus, Would you say the same thing, if LCW were to be the world champ 07 without having to play against either TH, or LD??? Don't be such a sore loser.:mad:

Kido/Setiawan aren't true champ according to your reason then, since they didn't play against either Fu/Cai or Koo/Tan?????????????

Zhu Lin ain't the champ either since she didn't play against Zhang Ning, and XXF??????????????????

Think before you post!!!!!!!!!

15. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    It is not LD or whoever's fault.. Are u trying to said here he is the BEST ever World Champion??
    IF LCW were in LD positon. I would also won't rate him as the best of the best World Champion . Beating Players like Anup, BCL to win in this prestigous tournament & yet u wanna consider urself the BEST? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Its just IMHO, AND I respect LD ; Markis/Hendra as the winner in this year's WC edition. Its has been the fact & no 1 can deny it..

16. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    Okay, in a touranment, you will always be playing the "better" player of the day as you go along. You don't get to choose your opponent!

If Anup beat Taufik, and Sony beat LCW.. that means in this tournament they are the better two... now LD defeated the two players whom defeated the so-called two favorites(TH, and LCW), doesn't that prove that in this tournament, LD has played better than TH, and LCW? That alone proves that your first post was not reasonable, but instead of admitting your first post is invalid, you choose to scream with BIG WORDS, and start arguing for no reason...

Now my reply to your post was simply stating facts and debating your invalid points, but you choose to argue instead...

#976 bananakid, Aug 20, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2007
  17. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

WC does not see many 2-time champions. The fact that this year's WC had so many upsets boils down to the fact that the tournament title carries so much pressure & prestige for all the players. And if you are not up to the mark at any stage, you are finished (TH, Fu/Cai, XXF are good egs.)

LD is a worthy champion; so are ZL, Markis/Hendra & Lilyana/Nova. If they are not, you certainly have a warped definition of a true & worthy champion.

18. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Indeed, so far LD stands alone as a model of consistency. Well, maybe with GL/ZB (though they lost on Sunday). That takes a lot of mental fortitude, some players are just born with the right mindset.

Let's see if the new world champs ZL, MK/HS and NW/LN can maintain their performance in future tournaments.

19. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Winning WC once might not make one to be the true champion. But winnng it twice and being runner-up once is really something to LD besides his 3-time AE titles and one runner-up.

The toughest draw for LD became the easiest ones after TH's shock defeat to Anup. Well, a win is a win. Now LD just needs to prove himself the undisputable Greatest of All Time (GOAT) by claiming the Olympic Gold.

LD's 22-20 win in his QF, SF & Final three in a row just shows that he's mentally strong & able to manage pressure exceptional well during crucial moments. Yes, he well deserves to be world number one.

#979 robin7, Aug 20, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2007
  20. Louisa

Louisa Regular Member

Though i myself not really appreciate LD as my badminton idol (may be he doesn't nid me as well:D), but I have to say, i admire his determination, skill, power play and of coz, his consistency. He deserves to be World No. 1.

If he can appreciate fans support after the match, no matter win or lose, he will be really World no. 1 in terms of skill and attitude...The MO06 incident certainly teach him something...and I am happy to see a 50% new LD

and we shall not act like Mr. Lx Dx Qxxx, whom once claimed that LCW won IO bcoz LD was not there, TH was beaten by BCL, therefore, LCW 'steal' the championship of IO.