Wrist Training for Higher Tension

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by BigFC, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The "catapult" or "trampoline" effect is bad pseudo-science. You don't get more force for free just because the strings are looser.

Energy is always conserved. A tight stringbed deforms less, but it takes correspondingly more energy to deform. This energy is released as the strings return to their normal length.

In principle this means that power should be the same regardless of tension: it would purely depend on how much (kinetic) energy the player "created" through his hitting action. In reality it's a lot more complicated than that, because an efficient hitting action transfers a higher proportion of energy into the shuttle, rather than elsewhere (e.g. back into the arm).

Depending on the player, lower or higher string tension will be more efficient. I suspect the response time of a high-tension stringbed is shorter, and that this goes well with a high racket head speed. It might be that with a lower tension instead, the shuttle would already have left the strings before they finished bouncing back into place -- and therefore more energy would be wasted.

Conversely, it may be that at slower racket speeds, the shuttle stays in contact with the strings for longer, and a slower stringbed response is more efficient. It's also possible that with higher tensions, a greater amount of minimum force is required to overcome static friction, before the strings will actually start to move.

Regardless, there is no magical "trampoline" effect that is always better at low tensions. There is only energy stored in the string deformation, and the same energy released when the strings rebound (minus some losses, of course).

Cutting through all the theory, you can easily feel the difference. When you get less power and feel more resistance to your arm during the hit, your string tension is wrong.

#21 Gollum, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  2. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    Have you ever tried extending a rubber band between your fingers? Doesn't require science to think logically. At least that is my take on it. Higher tension, less time on string bed but more control, however smaller sweet spot. You would need better technique and power in order to be able to make this type of tension efficient.
    Lower tension, more time on string bed however less controll but a bigger sweet spot. This would suit those who are beginners and amateurs as the technique of those aren't as good.

#22 Wingu, Apr 18, 2013
  3. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    #23 Wingu, Apr 18, 2013
  4. visor

visor Regular Member

What Gollum and Paul is trying to say is that the stringbed rebound time has to match your racket/swing speed for optimal power/kinetic energy transfer. ....... The harder and faster you can hit, the faster rebound you'll need and this is achieved with higher tension.

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

^ What Visor said.

A "trampoline effect" exists in the sense that the strings deform and then spring back (like a rubber band). But this is true at all tensions.

Higher tensions deform less, but that doesn't mean that the "trampoline effect" is less forceful -- only shorter.

Shorter string movement less force

#25 Gollum, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  6. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    Weak player using high tension is like a 4 year-old holding an adult racquet thinking they'll play better than using a kids racquet. You'll lose power, lose consistency, and most importantly, better players secretly laugh at you behind your back.

But hey, bragging about your high tension gets you all the girls.

7. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    The "Illusion" amongst the badminton community that power is the most important thing in badminton to increase your game and technique is just plain wrong. Power comes with training. However most people dont realise power is useless without proper technique.

Look at golf players for instance. You can stand there and swing as hard as you can to hit the ball but the chances of getting perfection and distance are next to none without the proper technique. This applies to almost every sport even weightlifting. Technique plays the utmost importance to moving forward with strength and perfection.

As your technique improves and you move forward as a player string tension can be increased to cater to different needs. When I first began I used rackets strung to a basic 20-22lbs As I moved forward i increased to 24lbs and sat at this tension for a lengthy amount of time. Now after years of competing even though I have just returned from a 2 year break mixed with career and injury needs, I can still use 29-30lbs without issue.

Higher tension can give you more power and more control but not if your technique is there to balance everything out.

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yeah, but they're all so highly strung. :D