Yes or No: Lin Dan wild card for 2014 World Championships

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by pcll99, Mar 12, 2014.

?

Should BWF give a wildcard to Lin Dan for the 2014 World Championships

1. Yes: it will generate more media interest

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No: once is enough

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    i guess we will know the identity of LD's new sponsor really soon too..

2. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    In that case, the Super Dan better make sure he gonna grab the BAC title tomorrow, his back-to-back 2nd title after his long hiatus following the last year's WC, thus the BWF won't have the shortsighted decision to miss its wildcard upon the most talented player and the defending champion... :D :D

May 2nd?? They even miss to observe the shuttlers' participation and performances in the upcoming Thomas Cup and Uber Cup, the most prestigious team events!

3. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

If I were BWF, my biggest concern would be whether LD will play the SS events before WC or pull out to prepare for WC like he did last year.

This is a great opportunity to extract something from LYD such as free fight among teammates and more support (player participations) for tournaments.

4. RedShuttle

Can't edit again! Obviously, I meant LYB, not LYD.

5. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

>> If I were BWF, my biggest concern
    >> would be whether LD will play the SS
    >> events before WC or pull out to prepare
    >> for WC like he did last year.

Why?

Winning GPG or similar point events such as BAC can bring you up to 3rd in the World rankings...

By the way, could the sponsorship delay be a result of BWF participation uncertainty? I mean, for a company like Adidas WC exposure would be of tremendous value. And if LD is not given access to WC maybe his whole comeback plan and hunger to win again would suffer a big hit...

If LiNing is in money problems he could also just still be playing LiNing anonymous rackets (n90) until a new contract is signed, to put pressure on the negotiations - and LiNing could be in a WC wild card waiting game before extending...

6. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    Lin Dan just claimed his 2nd back-to-back title in 2014 BAC

Lin Dan just claimed his 2nd back-to-back title in 2014 Badminton Asia Championships to reaffirm his 2nd comeback!

[TABLE="class: ruler matches"]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]MS [/TD]
    [TD="align: right"][TABLE]
    [TR="bgcolor: transparent"]
    [TD="align: right"]Lin Dan[/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]-[/TD]
    [TD][TABLE]
    [TR="bgcolor: transparent"]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD]Sasaki Sho[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD]14-21 21-9 21-15[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]1:06[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Lets wait n see whether WBF will do the good to uphold the quality of 2014 WC by
    granting the wildcard to the Super Dan :D

7. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

8. RedShuttle

Last year, the BWF secretary also said, in no uncertain terms, no wildcard for LD. But who won the title?

It's not over until the fat lady sings. There are still a few days to go.

9. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    What Redshuttle said is true.However, there is one difference between this year and last year.Last year, at this time, Lin Dan is absent from the international scene.This year, Lin dan has already won two tournaments already so far.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

Last year LD benefited in getting a wild card because he is from the host country. IIRC there's a small rule that says that the host country is allowed a wild card if necessary.

This year being in Denmark, any wild card will be from Denmark... so Peter Gade could qualify.

11. RedShuttle

If PG officially declared his retirement and is not currently part of the drug testing program, then I don't think he is eligible.

For example, Bao ChunLai declared his retirement early in order to escape from the drug testing program, so he can treat his injuries with certain drugs.

Since Denmark has representatives already, Danish BA does not have a wild card anyway. Before the rule change effective last year, the host BA can freely field a wild card in each discipline, as Malaysia did when they were the host.

12. btonbladet.dk

btonbladet.dk Regular Member

We just heard that BWF is not using their wild cards opportunities, so no wild card for Lin Dan. Apparently BWF has informed their members yesterday.

13. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  14. lk2009

lk2009 Regular Member

Communication
    Just had the same information : no Wild Card for Lin Dan at the WC2014 ! If I'm correct, that's means that Lin Dan will not participate to the WC2014, since the Eligible players list has not beeen selected by the elegible players list ?Can someone confirm ?

15. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

the date for bwf to publish the wild cards, if any, is 8th May.
    on the same date, member associations required to confirm their players from BWF's list published last Friday (25th April).

if wild card not granted for LD by 8th May, China has options either to submit their top 3 players (without LD), or 2 players with Chen Long and Lin Dan.

If China decided to field their top 3 without LD on 8th May, they still has until 22nd May to submit LD to replace their 2nd and 3rd MS.

16. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

this is an added bonus for China just to field CL and LD only as it will ensure that they will be draw in different halves and LCW needs to beat both to have a chance for the title.

17. zhuangcorp

zhuangcorp Regular Member

I'm shocked that BWF is not giving wild card.

Let me ask a simple question: Why does wild card even exist?

Who is more qualified to receive a wild card than 2 time Olympic champion, former world #1, 5 time world champion, and DEFENDING world champion?

If there's ever a player to use wild card on, it should be Lin Dan. If Lin Dan does not deserve a wild card, no player should ever receive a wild card. Just remove the wild card system then.

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'm still hopeful that Lin Dan will get the wild card. But my main argument and wishful thinking is for BWF to amend the rule and allow the defending champion automatic qualification based on its own merits without the need to use wild card and not based on ranking at all. In that case, the wild card would be still open to others if necessary and the rest of the WC rules and regulations still apply.However, should BWF in the end decided not to award the wild card to Lin Dan, then I would go along with what AlanY pointed out and I'd suggest that CBA send only Lin Dan and Chen Long such that they would be in different halves of the draw thus requiring LCW to meet both of them for the title.

19. lk2009

lk2009 Regular Member

Communication
    In a way I understand what you're saying because it's true, obviously. But you can't forget the past. If Lin Dan got a Wild Card twice, it would have been quiet a shock for those who battled hard during months too barely qualify. What would we say if next year LCW, CL and JOJ decided to leave 6 months like LD did twice ? :(

20. Woffle

Woffle Regular Member

Student
    Whether LD gets a wild card has nothing to do with LCW, CL, and JOJ. It's not a stretch to call LD the best MS player of all time. LCW, CL, and JOJ cannot compare their accomplishments with his