Yonex ALL ENGLAND Open 2019 : Round of 32 to FINAL (6-10 March)

Discussion in '2019 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Mar 5, 2019.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Zhang Jun must be relieved. Got some decent result after he took over

Justin L and Cheung like this.
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Yeah. It’s not that easy in front of cameras and the crowd. Probably they are normally ok as translators but not used to scrutiny under the public eye.

It used to be worse in the past.

3. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Can't disagree with you there. Skill wise, overall Ahsan/Hendra is above minions (or should I say Marcus).
    I like minions just because of Kevin.:D Amazing to see that he is still getting better and better over time.

4. duchoainguyen

duchoainguyen Regular Member

In some ways, I feel that it's good that big upset happened. It means that when you are world number 1 (or 2, 3,4, etc), your game will be studied, and if you don't adapt well enough, you will get beaten.

i would much prefer Chen Yufei to break her losing streak to Tai here than in the Olympic. Imagine going in the Olympic as a heavy favorite, then lose to someone that you have a 11-0 H2H against. Not that the All England is not prestigious, just that if you have to wait 4 years to redeem yourself if you lose :)

Similar case with Kento, Morten said that it will be good for Viktor in future games even though he lost today, but I think it will be good for Momota as well. He was tested by an opponent that he had no trouble dealing with before, overcame it and won. He seemed to be very happy, a lot more than I see him in some previous tournaments.

Only by keep improving your game can you remain at the top spot :)

minions likes this.
  5. minions

minions Regular Member

Yeah, CHN team really mean business. I remember that Zhang Jun stated that his ultimate target is to clean sweep the OG gold medals.

kwun likes this.
  6. ibelieveindevil

ibelieveindevil Regular Member

I thought by ranking points they will be malaysia number 1 next week?

7. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    Well Id rather prefer CYF beat TTY at Oly and WC cause those are the biggest tournies in the world...and seeig her inprove Im sure CYF and even HBJ and GFJ can do it.

For TTY her road to a real Medal let alone a tittle is still far...I fear she just has this year's WC and Next year OLY and if she couldnt get either of these then her chances of winnin a Real Mdal are rather non existent.

8. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

She already won 2AEs and AsianGames. In Tennis , that means winning Wimbledon. Thats the most classic Major she needs. Thats why she doesnt really care in WC. Shes the one said if she lost, she lost. There are still many tours to be won not just bcoz of 1/2.

If Federer never wins RolandGarros, he will still have 19GrandSlams, will it change his career, i dont think so... or missing singles olympics for that matter.

9. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

10. duchoainguyen

duchoainguyen Regular Member

Haha, let's not get ourselves into arguments about major/real tournaments because it will never end well :))

Well, Chen YF definitely improves a lot though. She now got the China Open last year and the AE this year am I right? She definitely gains a lot more attention now. Let's see how other teams study her :)

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    2024 maybe. right now, the talent just isn't there. perhaps 1-2 is more realistic.

CLELY likes this.
  12. minions

minions Regular Member

Now, to the AE champions, can they won WC this year? Since 2015 (2016 in WD case), no players won AE and WC/OG at the same year. Especially MD which is stretched to 2009. Let's see if KM and Zheng/Huang can retain their WC title this year.

13. twawawau

twawawau Regular Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA hillarious ! too bad, her yelling didnt help at all.... lol

14. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    Well Im sorry to break down your dream of TENNIS = BADMINTON..Tennis is a all together different ball game.

In Badminton the biggest tittles are WC and OLY if super series was really the parameter to scale greateness I would doubt Peter Gade would feel sad in his interview mentionin how badly he wanted OG medal before retirement.

Also Talkin about TTY i would request you to go on the BWF Profile page and read her answer to the last question where she talks about her "Sporting Ambition" her answer is to "Win an Olympic Medal"

Let me help you here is the link and plz dotn ever compare tennis to Badminton its like comparing Airplanes to trains.

https://bwfbadminton.com/player/61427/tai-tzu-ying

15. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

FOUR FOR FIRST, CHINA REIGNS ALL ENGLAND 2019
    Only Mohammad Ahsan/Hendra Setiawan who regain their 2014 All England crown as the other four grab maiden title. China scoops three titles, a sigh of relief following unconvincing result in January 2019 BWF World Tour installment, the last time China bagged more than one title happened in 2015. Japan has big losing but fortunately they won the most prestigious one, men's singles title.

JAPAN DEJAVU
    Japan WD camp once again swallow big disappointment, having three pairs in semifinal but couldn't convert to the victory at the end. It's former World Champions Chen/Jia who spoil the party, dropped opening game, slowly but sure the Chinese were far from give up, delivering stiff resistance to take a lead in beginning of second game then Matsumoto/Nagahara slowly catched up and very good opportunity when took over the command in 18-15 but steely determination by the Chinese brought them to third game, 22-20. At deciding game, the Japanese looked stressful particularly Mayu Matsumoto who produced a string of errors. Chen/Jia raise the pace to attack confidently and romp the final game, 21-11.

BREAK THE JINX
    Never won in 11 encounters, a very bleak prospect for Chen Yufei to face world number one and defending champion Tai Tzu Ying but the rapid-improved Chen offers something different to his maiden All England final, she's well-prepared to counter Tai this time, had heftly lead in opening game to read and anticipate all Tai Tzu Ying difficult shots despite loosening a bit as Tai was back to find her own gameplan later on but still not enough to seal first set. The relentless effort continues in second game, a superb form by the 21 years old Chen plus Taiwanese star constant simple mistakes including the last point, failed at front area. Finally, China produces WS All England Champion after last time triumphant through Wang Shixian in 2014 edition.

OLDIES BUT GOODIES
    Indonesian high-reputable pair Ahsan/Setiawan completed their finish line here to regain All England crown. Losing easily in first game, the veterans came back stronger to change tactic in second and third game to outplay the young Malaysians with classic style. The experience wins over energy and stamina despite Hendra Setiawan suffered calf muscle injury but thanks to his incredible action at front area. Credit to the rookies Aaron Chia/Soh WY who entering big stage here, a very promising pair to watch out in future.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
    Zheng/Huang bury their nightmarish memory and clinch All England crown to complete their trophy cabinet. The Chinese had tough times to conquer Watanabe/Higashino, trailing behind in early stage of first game, 3-8 and 4-12 at second game, Zheng/Huang fought back valiantly to turn the tables and didn't repeat their blunder last year, it's a mental game against the high-spirited Japanese duo. The defending champion blew away their big chance to force rubber games and reverse the fortune this time.

KING KENTO ON TOP
    As many predictions tell, Kento Momota fulfill his ambition to become first Japanese MS tastes All England glory and affirms his status as the best men's singles in current era following World Championships gold medal, next is Olympic Games. Momota overcomes Danish rival Viktor Axelsen in epic final as former world champion pushed Momota into the limit before Axelsen started to make unforced errors after interval of deciding game. Patience, mental strength, excellent technical skill plus superb fitness delivering Kento Momota to top podium and back to his winning way, underscores him as the strongest candidate for Tokyo 2020.

Loh, It'sMeMeMe, Anks and 6 others like this.
  16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

And Xia Xuanze too, his wish for Chen Yufei fulfilled.

17. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

You are aware, though, that Federer won French Open at Roland Garros in 2009, right? (And he is at 20)

18. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Haven't watched the MS final match as I couldn't stay up for that. But looking at the scoreline, seemed like VA could finally lose properly without a meltdown (according to the comments here too) so good for him.

Congrats to Momota for his first AE.

19. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

You may be right, but VA is still able to run some opponents down like he did to AA in Spain recently. And KM's stamina is superb. I don't think any one can hope to run him down unless they have spent much less time on court during the week. In this AE, it is the other way around. VA had 4 tough matches, KM foure "easy" matches. If VA can win more convincingly in the first 3-4 rounds, he might stand a better chance against KM in a final.

20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    After KM took the 1st game, VA gambled quite a bit during the 2nd as it was do or die. He exerted a lot of energy attacking KM, that's how he was able to take the 2nd game. VA is a big boy, 6' 4" and my guess is he is around 200 lbs. my guess for KM is at most 150 lbs. that's a lot of weight to be carrying around, especially with so much explosive movements. Yes, he does take 1/2 step fewer but mass need to be moved regardless. KM took noticed of that and while he already gave up the 2nd game, he did lots of steep and fast drop to the front, VA was grunting on each retrieval. He was fighting but he was hurting.

By the 3rd game, both sides were tired and there were less ferocious attack but that makes it worse for a tired VA with longer rallies.

CLELY and galaxyduo like this.