Yonex ALL ENGLAND Open 2020 : Round of 32 to FINAL (11-15 March)

Discussion in '2020 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Mar 10, 2020.

1. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

are you really telling me that you think sonoda/kamura, gideon/sukamuljo, watanabe/endo, old setiawan/ahsan hits harder than young setiawan/ahsan, cai/fu, JJS, or kido?

#821 ChocoChipWaffle, Mar 15, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    ant01 and Simeon like this.
  2. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Oh deer ! ^-^ LOL LOL LOL

3. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

by the way, the MD match where all 4 players wear white, makes it feel like watching a Wimbledon match.

with no tournaments in the next few weeks, its good that this one provides lots of entertaining matches, the final MD/WS/XD, the semi final XD, etc.

4. ericksakti

ericksakti Regular Member

hmmm, after reading this, one point comes to my mind. Is Kevin the fastest player ever in the world in front of the net? I have never seen anyone this fast in my life ever, maybe shuttle positioning not the best, but for speed man he is really a cut above everyone else.

5. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

for me, yes, he's the fastest player I've seen in MD

Yoji and ericksakti like this.
  6. livewire

livewire Regular Member

yups.. true to that
    previously l think KKK is the fastest... altho only for 2-3 years then he just fadeaway

7. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

a bit more stability would help, since time to time they loose concentration and thus some slew of errors happen, but otherwise Praveens smash is as strong as Fu Hei Fang but drives especially cross ones are out of this world, and defense is not shabby as well

8. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

Yuta/Endo vs LYD/JJS or LYD/YYS, who's gonna win ?

9. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

haha. have a game BWF2K20 legend edition, then create a match up between them and let the AI work out the outcome.

10. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

Endo never won against LYD if I remember correctly, but then again endo played with hayakawa back then, he's pretty predictable compared to yuta.

11. Coolkas

Coolkas Regular Member

We r having fun tho comparing current players with retired players :D

12. pradeep chand

pradeep chand Regular Member

Cai Yun plays very fast.his net game is very fast

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

That "glaring hole" smash defense is probably amongst the Top10 in all of MS, but do go on...and his net play is probably intentionally low-risk. Play into the court, and you won't risk your opponent playing such a tight net shot that you can't lift properly. If we have coaches teaching that kind of stuff even at our level, I'm pretty sure the Danish guys are leaps and bounds ahead, and there's an intention behind Victor playing very few tight net shots.
    I really want to see an example of how you'd isolate for 'drift control' when comparing players. Having watched the MS SF and F matches, I haven't seen anything to indicate that there was a significant difference between players in coping with the drift. But maybe I wasn't looking for the right things, so please feel free to illustrate.

samkool and LenaicM like this.
  14. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

Fast but very steady.

15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Isn't current bwf measuring done with hawk-eye? I thought it was, almost never saw >300 from anyone other than Fu with the old radar guns, whereas it's almost expected in every match these days

16. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

I thought this too. Hawkeye can measure the speed of the shuttle over the entire flight path if we wanted but probably uses the first 2 data points it captures which is when the shuttle is at its peak speed. A radar speed gun would also measure from the point of contact but might be over a longer time frame so gives a lower averaged speed.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

IMHO, Fu Haifeng indeed has the most powerful smash, certainly during his time or era and his speed of movement is pretty fast too. As for his defense, I wouldn't say it's weak or weaker than his main rivals (otherwise his partnership with Cai Yun wouldn't go that far capturing so many coveted and prestigious titles), it's just that he was so aggressive that he was on the attack significantly more than he was on the defense, and even when forced onto the defensive, he tended to try and turn defense into attack at the earliest opportunity.

Yes, I agree that after 2014 when he formed a new partnership with Zhang Nan, he became a more complete player and defended better to suit his new game. In fact, at that time, I actually said he's an old dog who could learn new tricks.

18. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Wir können gerne diskutieren, aber die herablassenden Untertöne kannst du dir schön schenken.
    In my opinion, his defence of smashes is often way too high above the tape and thus killable by opponents. Of course this is meant in context of top players anyway, I'm sure he has a much better smash defence than you. I still think several top players are better than him in that regard (CL, KM, AG, JC, AA). Then again, that is just my opinion.

If you think VA's net play is among the best and he just doesn't use it for tactical reasons that's your take. Seems highly illogical to avoid using such an effective weapon, though.
    I also can't recall any of the commentators having ever mentioned Axelsen as one of the players with the best net play, while I've heard them talk numerous times about the net game of others.

As for drift control, "feel free" to watch the Indonesia Open 2018 final for an exhibition. Also, listen to Steen's commentary on Axelsen's skill in that particular field (for example that prior to 2018, VA had never even won a single match in "windy" Istora in 6 previous attempts). Steen had also mentioned during the same tournament that he regards Srikanth as one of the best "wind players", so maybe just because you can't make out the difference between players when it comes to controlling drift, it doesn't mean others can't. The Danish guys are "leaps and bounds ahead", after all.

kurako and Sumanth99 like this.
  19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

One of the worst showings at the AE or any 1st tier tournament for Team CHN in years. At this rate, if this tournament result is any indication, I seriously doubt CHN can grab three golds, let alone five, at most one or two, realistically speaking.

20. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

Any reasons from the team for the poor China mixed results?