Yonex ALL ENGLAND Open 2022 : R/32 - Final (16-20 March)

Discussion in '2022 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Mar 15, 2022.

1. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    -

#981 Sundis, Mar 19, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2023
  2. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

G1 was dissapointing

3. mohans

mohans Regular Member

CTC often gives a feel that he plays badminton with the same purpose as most middle aged men do- trying to keep the shape without risking injury

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

-

#984 Sundis, Mar 19, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2023
  5. mohans

mohans Regular Member

Thanks CTC for these rallies. But I sense Viktor will pack off in 2 games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

CTC could only mount a brief challenge, he succumbed to unfitness, be it mental or physical or both, we will never know for sure

7. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Lakshya Sen played his match earlier so even if his match was harder he has around 6 hours more time for rest compared to Axelsen

8. mal1988

mal1988 Regular Member

Now that the minions have lost, it's Ahsan / Setiawan's title to lose imo.

Had the minions won and got through, they'd have the daddies' numbers again.

Really impressed that at the ages of 34/37, that they're still playing so well. I honestly thought after their Olympics disaster (ie. Didn't medal) that they'd retire. Other than Ahsan who's just missing an Olympic gold medal, they've got nothing else to prove.

Yoji likes this.
  9. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

But currently there is only one decent back court player with Zhou Haodong (and he can be quite inconsistent).
    HJT is also not very consistent and ZN has been struggling in several areas of his gameplay since the Covid break...

backhand_slice_drop likes this.
  10. badMania

badMania Regular Member

It's an ALL-INA FINAL in the Men's Doubles today. Expectedly so as Mohd Ahsan/Hendra Setiawan have proven once again that they still have the quality in them. They took out the only non-INA pair left in the draw, He Ji Ting/Tan Qiang in rubber-sets: 21-16, 14-21, 21-13. This too after overcoming Liu Cheng/Zhang Nan and Kim Astrup/Anders Skaarup Rasmussen in the earlier rounds.

Their junior Mohd Shohibul Fikri/Bagas Maulana (22/23) awaits them in the Final. No offense to the Daddies but I would prefer for the young pair to win the All-England title in their debut to boost their confidence and for regeneration purpose! Their draw was tough, having to overcome higher-ranked pairs: another young compatriot Pramudya Kusumawardhana/Yeremia Erich Yoche Yacob Rambitan (WR21, who progressed to the World Tour Finals last year), the fast-improving Ong Yew Sin/Teo Ee Yi (WR11), World Champions Takuro Hoki/Hugo Kobayashi (WR4), and the Minions (WR1). It will cap a memorable week for the youngsters if they can beat the Daddies (WR2) - the master of the flat game in tonight's Final.

kurako likes this.
  11. Badmintonmag

Badmintonmag Regular Member

Fullfilled my dream to watch the All England live. Some quick thoughts and impressions:
    - Cool Arena...directly besides the beautiful Birmingham canals
    - Largest cue ever this morning. Had to wait 1,5h to get inside. Missed complete TTY match and first two games of Minions Match
    - In General Friday ist probably the best day. Highest Level and plenty of Matches. Thursdays you can sit wherever you want, which ist cool. But Most Matches are Not that competitive, cause the seeds are too strong. Today just a few Matches have been exciting
    - New Indo pair was spectacular to watch. Even more against Japan. Kevin still strong and exciting to watch. But Marcus simply Just an "average" player by worldclass Standards
    - You gotta Love the daddies. No athleticism and physicality at all. Yet their skills are enough. The crowd loves them. Incredibly loud during their Match, electric Atmosphere. I love what a Team they are. I think throughout their whole partnership I have never Seen an annoyed look or gesture towards the other one.
    - Wang/Huang are incredibly good Badminton Players. But they dont stirr any emotions. There Match today was High Level, but it was rather boring and the crowd Not much involved.
    - P Jordan doesnt get enough Credit. He is electric and the crowd loves him. They all Go Uuuh and Aaaah when He hits his bombs. And the Sound of His smashes...wow. He is a little error prone, but I think thats because He tries to protect Melati. She has her Moments, but in General...lift the Shuttle and the Point is gone. Jordan is risking a Lot from below the Tape and He did that amazing Yesterday. Deserved to win. But Huang ist Just Miles better than Melati.
    - Wang and Zheng are good, but Jordan and Watanabe are simply better. Switch their Ladies and it would be obvious
    - Higashino was pretty good today, but she still ist far below Yutas Level. So small in height, but a Giant in Badminton. Today was an All Time Great Performance. I dont think you can Play better Mixed Doubles. He Just does everything right all the time. The European crowd usually Supports European Players the Most. But they all Love Watanabe as Well. Because He is Just so entertaining
    - Lee Zii Jia definitely comes Off a little arrogant. But He is fun to watch and very strong, although His Game is still quite raw. Its pure physicality. By Far the heaviest smashes in mens Singles. Almost had the win and lost Focus
    - Lakshya Sen has a really good package and might be the best of the new Generation. He seems very cool, calm and tactically astute. Easy hitting Style, Power is Missing a but. Lets See, a few weeks ago I thought LKY would dominate the tour
    - Womens Doubles is much more entertaining live and close to the court than on TV

yuon, kurako, GoodmintonLover and 9 others like this.
  12. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

Regarding Wang/Huang: The crowds (especially Chinese fans who tend to be on the louder side) tend to get involved less if there are pairs/players from the same nation participating. But yeah, doesn't seem like Wang/Huang have the biggest fanbase (also they didn't have too much international exposure since the outbreak of Covid).
    Let's see how the crowds in Asia will behave when they play over there

Regarding Praveen Jordan: Great player and I would love to see him live. It would have been interesting if he'd partnered up with Lilyana Natsir.
    Her defense and front court dominance would have been ideal to set up PJ but I guess Tontowi Ahmad was too decent of a player and partner for her to try that;)

Badmintonmag likes this.
  13. Badmintonmag

Badmintonmag Regular Member

Might Play a role that is was an All Chinese match. But when the crowd got involved today, they supported Zheng/Yaqiong as Former Champions. Wang Huang get respect, but No Love. Maybe they are too perfect, I dont know.

Seeing Jordan was a Highlight of my Trip. Melati sometimes plays a good old school Mixed Doubles. But Yesterday she was awful. I was thinking about Natsir for Jordan as well . Would be a perfect fit. Not possible anymore, but I Wonder why a country Like Indonesia produces countless great Doubles Players, but so few female Mixed Players?

14. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

ws wc 2006 final 34 mins
    ws wc 2007 final 35 mins
    ws wc 2019 final 37 mins

GoodmintonLover and Anks like this.
  15. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

Reminds me of Chen Long who also didn't get a lot of love from the Chinese fans after his Gold Medal in Rio.
    Also ZSW and HYQ had established themselves in their former partnerships way before and came onto the world stage with a huge blast when they partnered up rofht from the start.
    In addition WYL/HDP are more of a classic XD pair which does everything really well without shining like HYQ in her interceptions/net play or ZSW with his combination of speed and power play.
    This final and the upcoming tournaments will be a good chance to prove themselves to the fans and show that their OG gold medal was justified.

Indonesia has had great MD pairs in the last few decades which resulted in many young male players wanting to step up and following these lagacies.
    Also, please correct me if I am wrong here, women in Indonesia tend to have more of conservative role with rather strong social and religious boundaries.
    I guess this is a reason why we don't see a lot of promising female players (and also not too many promising male XD players).
    But yeah, Natsir was an exceptional player and a talent you won't come across often in your life...

skhai91 likes this.
  16. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Probably the pressure of walkovers got to CYF, when 2 of the teammates gave walkovers for your sake you feel pressured to uphold that sacrifice. Given HBJ is in good form they should have selected HBJ to enjoy the privilege.

arjevo likes this.
  17. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

Wondering more if the pressure from the Tokyo OG gold medal is creeping up to her. She hasn't been in good shape since then (her injuries right after that might add onto that).
    For sure HBJ would have put up a better fight, but she seemed to have physical struggles of some kind according to a Chinese news...

#997 Woesi, Mar 19, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
  18. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    Thanks a lot for enlightening me on this one though never watched the 2007 WS finals but will do it today itself but yes,I remember watching 2006 WS finals a few years back two of the all time greats Madam Zhang Ning and Madam Xie Xingfang's fight however Didnt know that it was that short...Madam Zhang Ning did take her revenge next year at the Olympics.

I guess if I had to put it in terms of shortest may be it would be accurate to say by the parameters of shortest scores and the most one sided WS WC Finals ever then it will be WC 2019.

19. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Once bitten twice shy. Just like playing lky for lzj.

Credit to lakshya for hanging in there. The next Prakash Padukone.

Lzj needs a new game plan vs sen next time.

See if Viktor will let Sen win like last tournament. This time bigger money and og credibility at stake. ;)

Looks like I will have to write strategies to beat Sen soon. ;)

20. parisego

parisego New Member

china choose wrong player to win by wo

hahahaha

nokh88 likes this.