Yonex Arcsaber 11

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by clawhammers, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    try zymax 65 from ashaway

2. jasonyjw

jasonyjw Regular Member

Photographer
    it really depends on what kind of feel do you want. i've been using bg66um all these while and it gives me great feel for drop/net shots.

3. thisis

thisis Regular Member

> okooko, Shinichi, jasonyjw: Thanks a lot for the response. I guess I won't go wrong with any of those strings?

Just two follow up question:

1. How about string durability? I last used bg85 on an old carbonex and it lasted a couple of years. How is your durability?
    1a. Tension affects durability too right? Is 24lbs a sweet spot that lasts a long time?
    2. Did you all put overgrip on Arc11 original grip? Is this another personal preference or it has proven improvements?

4. okooko

okooko Regular Member

Student
    I think the BG66UM has decent durability on low-mid tensions, I'd imagine it would be prone to breaking at higher tensions with a strong smash.

People say it dulls over time (in terms of loss of tension) but I don't find it too bad, then again I'vnt had another string for comparison.

5. thisis

thisis Regular Member

Can you please define numerically for the range of low-mid tensions?How long does your strings last?

6. okooko

okooko Regular Member

Student
    Going by the recommended tensions on the cone (19-24lb), I would say anything below 20lb is low and upto 24lb being mid. High tension for this racquet would be 24lb+ which might void warranty etcMine is done at 22lb.Having said that, it's not like 26lb tension will implode when mishit but it just makes the frame just that little more susceptible.Compared above to my VTZF2 recommended 20-28lb which I have strung at 26lb and I wouldnt go over 28lb based on my preferences/skills or lack of skills.

7. jasonyjw

jasonyjw Regular Member

Photographer
    Sorry thisis, don't know why i couldn't quote your reply.

1. Strings will last if:

- you are not a thunderous smasher.
    - you hit the sweet spot most of the time.
    - luck is on your side haha.

One thing to note bout the BG66UM is that it has received countless reviews that tension tends to drop off after awhile. So if you have the budget, and, if the drop in maybe 1-2lbs affects you greatly, you can change your strings more frequently. For me , i restring about once every 3-4mths.

1a. Yes, normally people do not string their rackets 2-3 lbs over its limit. the Arc11 has a recommended limit at 24lbs. I strung it at 26lbs max.

2. Grip is purely personal. I didn't remove the original grip and i've added on the Yonex AC102EX. Feels great for my hands.

8. Renmazuo27

Renmazuo27 Regular Member

I don't think BG66UM actually loses tension, but rather loses it's feel after a week or two. So it's less defined for power shots giving off the feeling that tension has dropped.

9. thisis

thisis Regular Member

I have no idea why the quoting is not working too.I can't even like your posts.Thank you okooko, jasonyjw and Renmazuo27.I am pretty stringent on my budget and located in the US. I actually can't find any stringing shop within 100 miles radius.Hence, I am doing my research instead of experimenting myself...Would it be good idea to string bg80p at 24lbs in terms of durability and performance for Arc11? I used to use bg85 on a Carbonex. Thank you!

10. Renmazuo27

I haven't used bg80 enough to give you a decent impression of it (last time i used it was back in 2012 and it felt very hard to me) but another alternative is zymax 65, simply because it holds tension a lot longer. It doesn't have the audio profile of the yonex when it comes to shuttle contact but has decent feel and good power.

Had my arc 11 strung with it roughly a year ago and it is still roughly the same tension.

11. thisis

thisis Regular Member

This is awesome man!What tension you strung it at?

12. thisis

thisis Regular Member

Oh yea, did you use any grommet? Or just the original ones?

13. Renmazuo27

26lb's. I bring it out now and then when my shoulder needs a break from the Z-force/Z-Force II and it still feels the same.

14. Renmazuo27

I apologise for the double post (I'm having issues with replying with a quote as well). I left it with original grommets, being a newer frame I assumed yonex would have ironed out the "strings-cutting-into-frame" issue with the earlier AT frames.

15. thisis

thisis Regular Member

What's your opinion on grommets? Does it help? Do you need to buy new ones?

16. Renmazuo27

Aside from buying grommets to replace the ones damaged by normal wear and tear, I don't think it's necessary to have the continuous grommets on the Arc 11.

17. thisis

thisis Regular Member

18. Renmazuo27

That's what i was referring to, continuous grommets. As I said I don't really think it's necessary. Only if you're thinking of stringing it at 27lb's upwards. But I don't see it doing any harm if you want to err on the side of caution.

19. KLFreedom

KLFreedom Regular Member

Hi, can someone give a comparison between arc11 and arc8dx? Which racket is faster at the net and defence? Which racket hits harder? Thanks a lot