Yonex ArcSaber Z Slash Review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ants, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Actually buying high end Yonex Tennis racquet is more worthwhile, like a new Yonex RDiS100 (used by Leyton Hewitt etc). I'm tempted to play tennis again. :D

It retails around the same price as an eg At900P/Arc10 right now (under promotion), and weighs about 325grams.

Therefore it has roughly 3 x the HM graphite/elastic-ti material than a high end badminton racquet with an average weight of 90 grams.

Going by this simplistic logic, Yonex badminton racquet is 3X overpriced. :eek:

2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

let me guess, this time it's realy the best racket ever, it's a classic in the making, etc etc

:) looking forward to it as always, though I hate to admit it ;)

3. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yeah, no doubt it'll be the next 'best thing since sliced bread'.
    can't fault yonex's designs though.

4. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

bah, it's all marketing mumbo jumbo anyway.

5. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    I really don't think Yonex racket are over priced. Carlton, Wilson, Gosen, Mizuno, and some of the other big name manufactures price isn't that much different from Yonex.

6. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I think that yonex racquets are slightly over priced but you are paying for the fact that you know that your getting a quality item in which u have a guarantee that if something goes wrong you can get a replacment for them to call themselves. #1 in badminton you know that they will have some sort of quality control in which they will not be letting out ally of faulty racquets

7. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    If you consider Mizuno TC700 which use much more expensive carbon materials than Yonex rackets use, I can only conclude that they must be overpriced, in comparison with victor, Mizuno, Forza etc.. But I think it is wrong to "bitch" about it :) as it is a free market, where buyers are free to choose if they think it is worth the extra dough :)

And compared to buying for exapmple speaker stands, badminton rackets in general are "underpriced" :D :D :cool:

I would rather buy a Badminton racket for 300 USD than a golf-driver for 200 usd :D :D anyway.. so I think we get good value even from the most expensive Li Nings and YY rackets :D.. We love the game.. so looking at the big picture it is all good if manufacturers can make som good profit on badminton stuff.... if they make more money form tennis-rackets, golf culbs etc... gues swhat they will focus there money, sponsor, marketing..development, r&d on ?!?! :D

/T

#27 twobeer, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Nah - the Arc 10 was really the best racket ever; this new Z will be really REALLY the best ever.

Agree completely on the duddishness of the Arc 9 and NS9,9 - I have yet to see a single professional using either one (though I might have seen Flandy's Polish XD partner using one, not absolutely sure).

This is an obvious and expected response to Victor and Li Ning smashing YY's monopoly and I find myself hoping YY will shut the door in Li Ning's face: their rackets ARE overpriced, and they can only be bought from the Far East (making them YET MORE expensive for EU/US).

9. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I have heard some rumors that Li Ning is soon to be introduced in Europe, and that they expect to focus more on badminton than their other line of product for the european market...

Will post more when i get details :)

/T

10. surge

surge Regular Member

cant blame yy for their high price...imagine the countless rackets that their sponsor players breaks ( and smelly shirts to be thrown away). plus the nets, floor mats, shuttles..etc for competitions. the money must come from somewhere right?

for the same reason its dissapointing( personal selfish reason) to see victor sponsoring thailand, korea. now the racket price all go up.

been using victor for a while. now looking for cheaper rackets...

so if strike 4d, i buy victor
    if strike toto, i but yonex.
    if strike big sweep, then i buy lining.:cool:

11. madbad

madbad Regular Member

The problem though, is perception. If you price the racket out of the "premium" range, it will be perceived as an inferior (perhaps it is) piece of equipment, or see as one aimed at lesser players. Basic marketing really.

12. HaoFung

HaoFung Regular Member

this review comes at the perfect moment as im down to my last arc10 for singles ^^

hopefully it will have some similar specs =P otherwise i might have to ditch $$ to try a N70 or N90

how do you know that the material Yonex uses is of a lower grade? considering that many of the high-end non-yonex rackets are made in China and that everyone imports the materials from Japanese chemical companies I wouldnt be surprised it the grade would be the same everywhere but lower in Japan? that would be surprising especially with the Japanese's obsession with quality control and all

13. CHOcobo

CHOcobo Regular Member

pay off school
    i wanna see some pics.

14. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Apart from hype, there's nothing to show yet :eek:

15. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

Hope this racket comes in Shiny Gold color.

16. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Its all about hype... substance will come later. :) Better than all hype no substance.

17. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I take it that it will not have arcsaber z slash on the shaft or will it I heard from a authorized yonex stockist that yonex were bringing out a arc 12 are these racquets connected ?
    I am only guessin !

#37 LD rules!, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  18. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Well, YY and other usually does not hide the materials used in shaft/frame from the specs. buckyball nano resin carbon is significantly less expensive than CNT carbon and woven graphite becomes more expensive, especially if you want it woven multidimensional like tetra-axial woven.
    And If you compare with for example Mizuno, this is also a japanese company...

Now back to the "hype", please :cool:

/T

19. weinsteinium

weinsteinium Regular Member

You clearly have been paying attention to the technology of badminton racquets so I have some questions, I thought that nano-resin meant resin infused with CNT (Carbon Nanotubes).

When Yonex says that they have fullerene (buckyballs are the spherical form of fullerene) in their Nanospeed 9900 does that mean that they have replaced the graphite fibers with buckyballs or does it mean that they have made a resin infused with buckyballs to strengthen their graphite fibers?

What does Mizuno mean when they say that their Tetracross 700 has CNT?

Here is an example of nano-resin with CNT's being used in the manufacture of graphite bicycle parts:

[​IMG]

Here is how Easton has been using CNT's for graphite bicycle parts:
    Enhanced Resin System
    The weakest areas in a traditional carbon-fiber component are the tiny spaces between the fibers that contain only resin. To radically improve strength and toughness in these critical areas, Easton Scientists have developed an innovative Enhanced Resin System using carbon nanotubes (CNT). Carbon nanotubes are an array of carbon atoms arranged in a pattern of hexagons and pentagons (similar to the pattern found on soccer balls). These structures can be manufactured in tubular shapes one billionth of a meter in diameter, hence the name nanotube. Carbon nanotubes have been called “the strongest fiber that will ever be made”. Nanotubes have a strength-to-weight ratio orders of magnitude greater than steel.

Easton’s proprietary process impregnates the resin/fiber matrix with evenly distributed carbon nanotubes. The addition of real carbon nanotubes greatly improves the toughness and strengthens Easton’s already legendary components.
    [​IMG]

20. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Has anyone heard of the speculation about the arc12?