YONEX ASTROX 88S & 88D (2018)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by T.O.P, Jan 16, 2018.

1. roderickh

roderickh Regular Member

I have 3U BS12 KRP & 3U ARC 11. I can switch to my 4U 88D easily, and happily.

freeter likes this.
  2. M Helmi

M Helmi New Member

Is it true that 88S is already quick enough that being lighter is more detrimental than beneficial i.e. stay away from 4U if possible?

3. iAsianGuy

iAsianGuy Regular Member

Yes the 3U version IMO isn't that heavy in overall weight. I don't think the 3U 88D is very heavy either. I don't understand why everyone is getting 4U and suggesting 4U to people.

3U really isn't that heavy or difficult to use in doubles.

4. Rommel Alastra

Rommel Alastra Regular Member

my 4U 88D feels heavier than my 3U D10. Although im not measuring weight. I just held it side by side.

5. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Not everyone is physicaly the same.
    Not all have the same trait.

Im a bombardier & TK770HT is my fav right now. The heaviest of all my racket, 99gr & serve me well. Switching to lighter racket feel ackward for me, like im holding nothing. & im muscle type rather than speed type, so i cant generate enough speed to compensate the weight loss.

Or my friend who is control type rather than power horse like me. Using my racket, his play seems strugling with the overweight racket. Does it mean he is weaker than me coz i can handle heavier racket? Physically yes, but playability no as our trait is different.

6. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    You're not accounting for manufacturing variation either. I don't know if you weigh your rackets but you could also happen to have a lighter copy whereas others have heavier ones.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

esppy likes this.
  7. boby

boby Regular Member

people who've a district or province championship level, might be fine to use properly an ax88s 3U for doubles.

but mostly recreational player like me, will struggle to fully tame any of 3U HH stiff racket. almost all of my recreational player friends whos play better than me use kind of 4U slightly HH medium with 26 to 29lbs tension (z ziggler or so).

IMHO... any ax88 weights class on recreational player, maybe like a Ferrari car on richman. absolutely they can buy it, show it, use it, and taste it as collection. but we're never really tame it.

cheers for ax88 user. :cool:
    and welcome to d club.

8. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    AX88S head heavy? It's Arcsaber-isch. 3U is fine, 4U is like playing a 5U.

9. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II

10. M Helmi

M Helmi New Member

You, sir, went from AX77 to AX88S right?

Which version of AX88S are you using, 4U?

How different it felt from AX77, if you don't mind sharing?

11. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    I've tested the 88S a few times since the first production release batch here at least.. I started with 3U because that's what I normally use but overall I found it just on average too heavy for what it is. Made it feel clunky and unwieldy so I ended up preferring the 4U variant. But going 4U was just a tad too light.

But that's not a racket issue..That's a user issue because with the blocky box like frames I generally prefer them to be in 3U but around 86g. My few trials with the 88S were very hit and miss tbh. They all weighed over 87g with the lightest being 87.7g iirc. That's why I think I gravitated towards the blue AX77 as well as those tended to trend towards the lighter 3U side of the range.

Differences between the 88S and 77 for me were primarily the 5mm difference really. Stiffness was negligible despite the noticeable slight difference. Head balance was iffy. Cannot recall for sure if it was the overall weight or actual head weight that was messing with my feeling. But the 5mm does make a difference objectively. Yes it is only 5mm but it does also lower the sweetspot and changes your contact timing enough that there's a learning curve to adapt to. I'm sure others more skilled than me would adapt faster.

Subjectively I had a love hate relationship with the racket model. Sometimes it worked but most of the time it didn't for me. Just isn't a racket for me I guess. I felt sluggish on defence with the 3Us but it was perfectly fine with the 4Us. But the 4Us had a drop in smash that I couldn't deal with too because it isn't like I'm a naturally strong player either. On a totally unrelated note I do so love the NF800 lol.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

M Helmi likes this.
  12. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Guys I've scoured this thread but haven't found (or maybe overlooked) a link to buying grommets for the 88s. I won't need them for a while (this will be my rackets first restring after getting it from the shop) but want to be prepared as I play almost daily.

Thanks in advance

13. freeter

freeter Regular Member

Product is AC416AXA.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

14. Coolkas

Coolkas Regular Member

When using a standard cheap grommet will it affect the racket performance/durability?

15. Clement Tan

Clement Tan New Member

Anyone tried the 68D/S and can make a review about it when compared to the 88D/S?

It's not terribly expensive in Malaysia for both the 68 and 88, just want a comparison and wondering if the 88 is really that much better than 68

16. fufu27

fufu27 Regular Member

helo guys, I'm recreational player with intermediate skill. I'm using 88s 3u right now, tied with BG65Ti at 25 lbs.

I used BG65Ti with my lovely NS9900 3u at 25 lbs too for a long time, it very good for me,
    but amazingly, I cant use same string with same tension (BG65Ti 25 lbs) on my 88s 3u, with no issued on my arm, I can't generated good power with it, but never felt tired, the power of shuttle are not as good as my NS9900.

Maybe, if I change the string to BG Aerosonic at 25 lbs, how the impact it will be on my 88s 3U? or any suggest the string type and tension?

FYI : I have tried BG Aerobite / BG66U / BG65 and I found dull on my 88s 3U with 25 lbs..

17. fufu27

fufu27 Regular Member

88/ 99 (jap ver) are much better than 68/ 69 (taiwan ver) on all aspect. For me, 88/ 99 are more easier to use than the taiwan version (68/ 69) cz japan version have catapult feel with very solid punch and those aspect aren't found on taiwan version for me, cz taiwan version felt more stiff and crowbar for me. IMHO

18. Coolkas

Coolkas Regular Member

After having tried quite a lot of different strings i dont think your problem is the string
    But more towards your habit like your swinging technique, i've never touch both racket but i do think its because both are very different racket and you already used to how HL racket swings, 88s is no HL racket by any means
    Especially if you are more of a wristy player

#2778 Coolkas, Feb 26, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  19. steven8991

steven8991 Regular Member

88S 3U or 88D 4U , which one is better in clear lob and smash?

20. Vivek Bagadhi

Vivek Bagadhi Regular Member

Doctor
    88D 3U

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk