YONEX ASTROX 88S & 88D (2018)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by T.O.P, Jan 16, 2018.

1. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Yeah, the transition from pro WD player to a usual amateur MD player is easy, they are on same level, right? Serious and without sarcasm: The gap is damn huge, regardless if woman or male, all woman pro players have a much better technique than the usual amateur players. The only reference what you use should be yourself with the focus on your own attributes instead of a pro role model or any other idol. Very disrespectful thoughts.

I remember the sad user a few days ago who was disappointed and regret that he bought a ZFII, while Momota use the DZS as a main now. I need to buy more hands for these facepalms.

2. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    You wouldn't believe how many I've seen say "I think I could win against her" when watching a WS match. :D

3. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    uses a 3u ax88d, she is not a slouch. you can't amateur your way into an all england's final.
    racket doesn't dictate what league you play in, and stop buying rackets that pros endorses. in all the probability you wont be reaching their level and more likely your game wouldn't improve.

llrr likes this.
  4. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I know that there's very little information about the 88D, but it's very easy to imagine how it will feel. Look at the flex description. It will be less at the T and more snap towards the end of the head. It would be slightly harder to access power, but you can generate greater power because it's longer and head heavier. It'll be slower but also have all the great tech characteristics as the 88S. I mean it just fits for a doubles backcourt player or a singles player.

5. necrohiero

necrohiero Regular Member

Student
    I am using 88d. Nice power generation. I think i will buy this one in hordes..

6. braveswordfan

braveswordfan Regular Member

doctor
    My apology to fellow members and to women's double professional players in general which I admire them a lot and aspire to play at their level or at least close the gap a little bit.

We pay particular attention to women double as my partner and I can learn some useful tactics from their game play. For example using clear as an offensive shot is quite effective in WD pro level which rarely happens in MD at similar level. In my league play this is often the case and we watch carefully what our intended target in the opposite end is doing before deciding to drop, smash or clear as an offensive play at the back court. My smash is never hard enough to be a winner straight away and therefore we play a patient game to which we have a lot to learn from the WD pro games. The Japanese WD teams have a very good system of play especially in rotation which even my coach used as example when teaching. We also practice a lot of aggressive return of service with no lift and counter attaching with block and push to defend smash to force opponent to lift which you can find lots of examples to watch at WD pro level at slower tempo to learn from compares to the men' game. As an amateur group in our middle ages (actually some of my mates are quite young), we don't have the fitness to do for example jump smash like MD pros can do as another example to imitate the women counterpart game play.

I also very much agree with what is said about racquet has no bearing on how well once play. It probably gives U an edge and no more. That is why I spent much more money on coaching fee than equipment even though it is only a hobby. Like a lot of us, we probably don't need another racquet. I just can't resist it and keep trying to tell myself that I can't have all 4 astrox 88 in different combination.

Your help to limit it to just one is much appreciated.
    Best wishes.
    Braveswordfan.

ucantseeme likes this.
  7. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

You can't be serious. How about us who are also thinking of buying one if they run out of stock?

Sent from my SM-J320F using Tapatalk

necrohiero likes this.
  8. Stever7425

Stever7425 Regular Member

Would be nice if you could update me on results.. have 4u jetspeed 10 now and love it but more power would be nice.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

9. Stever7425

Stever7425 Regular Member

Looks like Chris Adcock has the 88d in his bag.. bottom left corner, they are his shoes. Just presume it's his bag.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

10. Praj

Praj Regular Member

yea no problem, clubnight is tonight so will be my first chance to have a go with the 88s. Will give you my thoughts on Monday

Stever7425 likes this.
  11. Praj

Praj Regular Member

will Gabby be using 88s?

12. badmintony

Hmm. That's a bunch of Kinesio tape:)

13. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    She's making shoes from it.

14. Chrisadology

Chrisadology Regular Member

She's using them to wrap the handles as grip.

Remember, go with a 50% stretch in the middle with absolutely zero stretch at the corners, and you put it down liiikeee that....

15. Yong

Yong Regular Member

ICT consultant
    Got a change to hit some birds with a head heavy 4u Voltric 7000 racket in order to find out how an Astrox 88D could feel like balance wise (my current rackets are not that head heavy). I was surprised how easy smashes came of the racket. Only problem here was that the bird seemed to be off the racket already when I thought lets get some power in it. As a result it lacked of real power. Control was oke, despite the head heaviness. Furthermore the racket seemed a bit flex to me but I guess an Astrox will be stiffer. The racket probably felt more head heavy because no overgrip was on it, and for me the grip is of influence pretty much.
    Im thinking now of an Atrox 88d to buy, as I want power in the racket for huge smashes, easy but controlled clears and still some overall control.
    I found out that my 2 rackets (MP100 and TI-6) are both 2u, so would go to an 4u be too much of a difference? Thing is that 3u versions seem not for sale yet in my area.

Azmi Yusof likes this.
  16. Konquerian

Konquerian Regular Member

I just received my 3u 88d from the mail man . I gave the racquet a couple of fast swings in my living room. Initial impression, the 88d does feel a little head heavier than the 88s, but nonetheless still feels like a fast racquet. I can't wait to take it to court next Wednesday and Thursday for my regular sessions. I know a lot of people went with the 88s (myself included ), so I decided to take the road less travelled and see if I can dominate on court the astrox 88 style . I'm curious to see how it will perform with the different flex point and racquet length.

Also, I took a family photo of the lost brothers reuniting ![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. RajUS

RajUS Regular Member

Received my Astrox 88S 3U today , woohoo ... dry swing feels amazing.. It feels like 4U ZF2 ( which is positive for me as I play doubles mostly ).... So far so good as the first impression is good .. quiet maneuverable . When I am swinging it fast (backhand and forehand) - If I compare all the 3U which I own the maneuverability feels like 3U 88S = 3U ZS => 3UDUO10 > 3U LDF > 3U ZF2 .. Not sure how other owners are feeling... Let's see how it performs at the court . 20180511_142032 copy 2.jpg

Deepclean1122 and badmintony like this.
  18. badmintony

8oNq.gif

19. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

very do hope that You can decide whom to be Viktor Axelsen or Kento Momota, drive or domination god :D so many choices now :D

20. Konquerian

Konquerian Regular Member