YONEX ASTROX 88S & 88D (2018)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by T.O.P, Jan 16, 2018.

1. KLFreedom

KLFreedom Regular Member

Oh boy, 4u 88d still more maneuverable than d10? Definitely want to get a 4u 88d

2. joda

joda New Member

Hi,

Been reading up on the 88d and i'm definitely going to get it but have a debate between 3U and 4U. You mentioned that maneuverability is slightly in favor of 4U but still suggest 3U, what are 3U's advantage over 4U in details?

thanks in advance.

3. Konquerian

Konquerian Regular Member

If you are a 4u user, I would say that going for the 4u would the way to go, and the same with 3u. I’m long time 3u user. And even though the 4u is slightly faster due to it being lighter, I much prefer the 3u, because I like the feedback and handling of the extra weight. It is definitely a personal preference, and there’s really no right or wrong. You should definitely use whichever that you’re comfortable using. In my opinion, there’s no big advantage choosing one over the other, rather more on which one your arm prefers more. If you choose the one that you’re not comfortable with, only because of some overrated advantages, you won’t be able to play to your fullest and those paper thin advantages will be negligible anyways. So speaking from experience, let your arm and hand be the judge for you .

BTW, IMO, as 4u 88d has a slightly faster speed over the 3u, the 3u has slightly more power over the 4u, but the difference is very slightly. I hope that answers your question .

4. joda

joda New Member

It does, thanks! I use 3U, never tried 4U. however most websites and stores near me only carry the 4u version, shop owner says it's better for doubles so he has only 4U. Just checking to see if I should skip the hassle of locating a 3U and just get a 4U.

thanks!

5. salepang

salepang Regular Member

anyone have used both 88s 3u and lining n99? which is more heavy? balance point? more solid and more stiff?

#1945 salepang, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  6. ManusiaBinOranh

ManusiaBinOranh Regular Member

Marketing
    Side track a bit..I broke me 88d tonight[​IMG]

7. Parth Nayak

Parth Nayak Regular Member

Clash with another racket ?

8. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    No signs of chips as far a I can tell. Implosion?

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

9. ManusiaBinOranh

Marketing
    Clash with friend nr900, both also broke

10. ManusiaBinOranh

Marketing
    Clash bro...opponent smashed middle and my partner and I both went for it. Both our rackets broke..

11. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Sorry for your loss man. I'm surprised by the lack of chip though, for a clash.

12. ManusiaBinOranh

Marketing
    I guess the paint job is quite good. It already clashed more than 5 times before this and it never chipped.

13. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Now that's an interesting fact. My 88S chipped it's ass on the very first minute clash..

That fact has irritated me enough that I'm gonna sand off the paint and air brush this thing black with glossy lacquer. "prototype" racket time hehe.

14. ManusiaBinOranh

Marketing
    I would really want to see the paint job you done on the racket...gonna be insane man..

15. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Not really. I'm sorta stuck figuring out if enamel based or acrylic based paint would be a better choice or not. Not to mention what ratio of paint and thinner I should be using instead. Many things could go wrong really. I'm not sure what grit to use either to sand off the existing paint too. Last thing I need to do is suddenly have smoother and uneven edges on the frame and shaft lol.

16. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

When you're done make sure you post it here. Would love to see it as well.

17. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I had one clash with my 88D and it only made some scratches that when I rubbed off, the paint looked as new. Looking at that broken 88D makes me scared to use mine haha.. $200 down the drain in the blink of an eye.

18. Azmi Yusof

Azmi Yusof Regular Member

Just an update to my review on 3U 88D. Previously complained about the feeling of less power on smash when using it compared to my 3U Voltric LDF..

Experimented with increasing the tension on the 88D by 1kg. The thinking was that, since the 88D feels abit more flexible than the stiff VT LDF, it gives the soft feeling when smashing.. Which for me translate to feeling like having a less powerful smash.

The result was positive.. Smash feels powerful now as it feels more solid during impact. Use to rotate beetwen these 2 rackets as I desire the quality that both have but none can provide all. Now im Definately sticking to the 88D .

The only downside is that I now need to adjust to get a more consistent successful drop.. Especially cross court drops from base (used to be much better than the LDF pre tension change). But overall much happier with the 88D. Sad that my Voltric LDF will now just be a spare racket.

#1958 Azmi Yusof, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    badmintony likes this.
  19. ManusiaBinOranh

Marketing
    Well, if you have someone who does not know how to play as your partner, you will have a higher chance of breaking the racket. I clashed more than 5x with this particular person who did not know how to play. I play in a social setting and we have 1-2 players who does not know how to play. 3x is in one game..so I kinda knew that the racket is gonna break soon as he kept on fighting for the shuttle with me. It sucks but I guess it happens...

20. lurker

lurker Regular Member

if this kind of situation, i would just use my beat up piece or i will forgo those high risk shots.
    Social game only, not worth it IMO