Yonex Nanogy 99 string ( NBG99 )

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by ssgg007, Jan 21, 2012.

1. sfl333

sfl333 Regular Member

sales ececutive
    Yes. Is available at Malaysia. U can try to go at this shop S POWER SPORTS. No.16, jalan USJ8/2A, 47610 SUBANG JAYA. Owner quite nice too... Just to share the info. :)

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

N95/N99 head-to-head

Both 27/30 lb on identically specced TPros – as close to scientific as is possible…

Power – strange one, this. I eventually decided that N95 had a higher power limit, but N99 offered more of its power more of the time; my most powerful shots came off the 95, but only with near-maximum effort, while 99 was easier to tap. Also, the 99’s power was available immediately, while the 95 had to be beaten in somewhat.

Control – 99, hands down. 95 was never good at this, especially when new; the 99 coating really narrows the margins, particularly when slicing and/or at the net. The 99 serves better as well.

Feel – again, no way the fresh 95 was going to win. The 99 sang to my hand with pretty much every shot, including my staple midcourt blocks and pushes; 95 seemed muted by comparison. In fact, it's one of the deadest strings I've tried.

Sound – the difference was completely in line with the above; 99 had a high and tight ping against 95’s bassy and looser thud.

Tension holding – and here the 99 betrays its Nanogy parentage: it falls off roughly in line with the others going by sound (but played reasonably consistently across the sessions, oddly). 99 needed some serious pulling to get the plastic out, so this isn’t unexpected.

Stringing – given the choice, I’d take 99. 95 weaves a lot easier, but kinks up horribly at the slightest provocation, and I was sure my bottom three or four crosses had gone through at least one full twist before being pulled.

[I’ve omitted durability because I never break strings – I’ll leave this to others]

I will say that I was switching between the 95 and 99 rackets all evening, and every time I had the 95 I was wanting to take the 99 out of the bag (though the odd uber-smash made me forget for a moment).

Had I been handed this string as an unlabelled prototype, “Nanogy” would have been my last thought. It doesn’t play much like the other Nanogies – it’s crisper, sharper, and more communicative (which, for a control/feel player like me, is more important than any priapic “power” considerations). Sadly, the improvements come at a (currently) exorbitant price – 85 quid for a reel and ten for a set is just too much IMO, and I’m not particularly string-hungry in spite of my high tension and use of plastics.

A solid four out of five. Once again, big thanks to Winston of MBS for the 99 set:).

#42 Mark A, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  3. clawhammers

clawhammers Regular Member

nice review Mark.. :D

Cheers!

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    well, since i am in HK.... courtesy from mybadmintonstore.com, which means review will be up after i string it up and testing it.

DSC02929.jpg

5. King's

King's Regular Member

...crisper...

That's where I got sold.;)

6. canti

canti Regular Member

Student
    Ordered mine a few days ago, and then on saturday I see that synergy has it T___T

7. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Yes, AK is selling them for $17 a pack.

@Kwun, saw you at bintang today, I just came back from synergy this morning too. Too bad I didn't read your post til now. Please give us your thoughts. I am quite interested in trying this out once.

8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The non-JP packaging is very illuminating - no wonder this is called a "control" string. I think this is what clawhammers was referring to...

Attached Files:

• SP.jpg
      SP.jpg
      File size:
      14.3 KB
      Views:
  9. canti

canti Regular Member

Student
    just found out that badminton alley sells them at 14.50

10. BlueTornado

BlueTornado Regular Member

MBS has the JP version at 14.50, RKEP has EX version listed at 8.45

11. clawhammers

Rakuten sells JP version at 1008 Yen / US$12.5 / 115,000 Rupiah per pack of 10 meters
    If you buy 10 packs of JP Version, the EMS delivery costs is 900 Yen / US$11.00 / 100.000 Rupiah

Local online store in Indonesia sells SP version at 85,000 Rupiah / US$9.20 per pack of 10 meters
    If you buy 5 packs of SP Version, the domestic delivery costs is 9,000 Rupiah / US$1.00

:D

12. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    I'll just wait for the international version to come out. Wonder if this will replace my current go to NBG98.

MarkA can you compare the NBG98 to NBG99 please :)

#52 phandrew, May 5, 2012
    Last edited: May 5, 2012
  13. SoS999

SoS999 Regular Member

Sales manager
    Is nbg99 more powerful than nbg98?

14. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

There's no way I'm buying a set of N98 for that:D, but I think the N98 would probably close the "power percentage" gap on the N99, or even reverse it. Still, the N98 would require "playing in" and would still have that greasy deadness. IMO N98 is just N95 with 10-15% more power.

I don't think it would be, tbh.

#54 Mark A, May 6, 2012
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
  15. clawhammers

I agree with Mark.

NBG98 requires "breaking-in" process after being strung in a racket, and NBG98 (sometimes) would felt greasy deadness, usually within 3-4 weeks of game time.

This is different with NBG99, since it does not require the "breaking-in" process.
    After being used for more than 4 weeks of game time, I've never felt the greasy deadness in NBG99. Only feels the reasonable tension-loss (approximately 15-20%).

IMHO

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yo.

if you buy the string from somewhere, i will string it up for you.

17. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

"Greasy deadness"? What a phrase! :p There's quite a few blokes who've had that feeling on a Saturday morning-after-the-night-before.:rolleyes:
    ____
    Just received some N99. Can't wait to test it out.

18. sfl333

sfl333 Regular Member

sales ececutive
    sTRING AT S POWER SPORTS, USJ8....THE STRING IS MICE TO PLAY...HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

19. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Non-JP version now up at MBS, and thankfully it hasn't been priced by an escaped mental patient.

20. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

It's also available, in reel, at stringers' world now.