Yonex rackets : are they really "Made in Japan"?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by kwun, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Further from Wikipedia and FTC: "Made in USA"

In 1996 the FTC [1] proposed that the requirement be stated as:
    It will not be considered a deceptive practice for a marketer to make an unqualified U.S. origin claim if, at the time it makes the claim, the marketer possesses and relies upon competent and reliable evidence that: (1) U.S. manufacturing costs constitute 75% of the total manufacturing costs for the product; and (2) the product was last substantially transformed in the United States. However, this was just a proposal and never became part of the final guidelines which were published in the Federal Register [2] in 1997.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Made_in_USA

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE PROPOSED GUIDES FOR THE USE OF U.S. ORIGIN CLAIMS

The guides propose a new standard for making unqualified "Made in USA" claims:
    • To be called "Made in USA," a product must be substantially all made in the United States
    • A product will be considered substantially all made in the United States if:
      • U.S. manufacturing costs are at least 75% of manufacturing costs and the product was last substantially transformed in the United States; OR
      • The product was last substantially transformed in the United States and all significant parts or components of the product were last substantially transformed in the United States.
    (Note: "substantial transformation" is a U.S. Customs Service term that refers to a manufacturing process that results in a new and different article of commerce, having a new name, character and use that is different from that which existed prior to the processing)

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1997/05/highlite.shtm

2. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Text from FTA

http://www.fta-eu.org/doc/unp/opinion/en/Made_in_statement_hearing_all.pdf

… is inappropriate to create transparency
    A mandatory country of origin label "made in.." for imported goods arriving from third countries in the EU does not give reliable information to the consumer. On the one hand the regulation would only apply to specific goods such as textiles, furniture, ceramics, leather goods, and jewellery. On the other hand by relying on the declaration of origin, the [FONT=Agfa Rotis Sans Serif Light,Agfa Rotis Sans Serif Light][FONT=Agfa Rotis Sans Serif Light,Agfa Rotis Sans Serif Light]non preferential customs origin rules [/FONT][/FONT]does not lead to the aimed transparency. For ex-ample: The sole of a shoe is produced in Korea and the outer material is fabricated in Vietnam. According to the proposal, the shoe should be labelled "made in Spain", if both parts are simply fitted together in Spain.

3. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

In Australia:

Country of Origin - Made Where?

Did you know that under the current rules, only 50 percent of the cost of a product has to originate in Australia for it to be called "Made in Australia"?
    And did you know that the cost of the packaging is included in that 50 percent?

That's right, even though the ingredients have all been imported, that meat pie or bottle of juice or biscuit can still be labelled "Made in Australia".
    This means that we as consumers aren't able to know where the food we buy and eat is coming from.
    What does "Made in Australia" actually mean?

Currently, the Trade Practices Act states that goods can be represented as “Made in Australia" if, the goods have been substantially transformed in that country; and 50 percent or more of the cost of producing or manufacturing the goods (as the case may be) is attributable to production or manufacturing processes that occurred in that country.

However, under these regulations, in the instance of a meat pie for example, the packaging can read “Made in Australia” when in fact none of the meat within the meat pie comes from Australia.
    In other words, if the packaging, the pastry and the gravy of the meat pie has been made and combined in Australia, but the meat and the ingredients for the gravy was imported, the meat pie can still be labelled “Made in Australia”.
    For example, the government recently considered relaxing beef import laws, which would have meant that meat from BSE-affected countries could be used in our food products, be labelled as “Made in Australia”, and the consumer wouldn’t be any the wiser.

Thankfully, this decision was stalled pending a two year inquiry.
    Consumers see the word “Australia” and make the obvious assumption that it is made here, from Australian goods, however current laws mean this is not always the case.

Labelling something as “Made in Australia” because the packaging was done here and cost more than 50 percent of the manufacturing cost, but the contents of the food came from China or South America, doesn’t make it Australian.

http://www.truthinlabelling.com.au/countryoforigin.html

4. adidascanada

adidascanada Regular Member

+1 to this!!!!!! Seriously, a lot of speculation and hair splitting here. Is a genuine Yonex racquet of top quality? If you say no then which racquets are of better quality? I'd like to see these superior racquets because I have not yet seen them

5. Sentinel604

Sentinel604 Regular Member

I fix stuff
    So my question is ...

What I'm I buying if I'm buying a JP coded racket?

Top 10% QC racket that's made in Taiwan/China with Japanese material?
    Racket actually MADE in Japan?

I hope I didn't get ripped off in a way. I Currently own 2 JP coded rackets

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Do you really expect to get an answer to that? :D

"What I'm I buying if I'm buying a JP coded racket?" Then you bought a racket destined for the japanese market, plain and simple and priced accordingly.

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Perhaps Yonex can do the same for their rackets

Well said. :):):)

I once had a car. It was designed in England. Engine made in Germany. Many parts were from Eastern Europe. Tyres were from Japan. And the car brand was Ford Mondeo, USA.

Perhaps Yonex can do the same for their rackets;

Designed in _______
    Material from ______
    Strings from _______
    Shaft made in _____
    Grip made in ______
    etc, etc,......
    :):):)

8. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

I do not understand why people keep dwelling on petty issues like whether the rackets are fully manufactured in Japan. Moaning on internet just because you could have possibly lost a few dollars on racket purchase? What exactly is your problem? If you are afraid of getting ripped off or you don't have enough money to spend, stop buying those high end goods! After all, Yonex did not force you to buy their Japan coded rackets! It's as simple as that. I mean come on, there are people who suffer in war and fermine and I don't see them moan as much as those people do in BC:eek:.

9. Sentinel604

Sentinel604 Regular Member

I fix stuff
    LOL Icleing

Chill out

I'm not that worked up about it. I just want to know where my money went into when I bought JP coded rackets.

First of all it's not just a "few" bucks when there's an $80USD difference between SP and JP coded rackets

I never said anything about yonex "forcing" me to buy their ****. I spent my money on yonex for a reason

And what the hell does this gotta do with anything about war and ****? You must be one of those guys that looks up people's profile and start shitting on them for nothing

Thanks for your reply demolidor not like some emo hippie *ahem

10. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I think through globalisation it's not a problem if your racket is manufactured in this or that country. Mostly the MADE IN XXX gives customers a security and a state of quality.
    But what is the difference between a factory in one country and in another country? Both can have a nearly similar building. Both have the possibility to buy the same machines, the same basic materials, paint etc. Both countries have the possibity the visit a university and become an engineer. Knowledge is everywere and can educate people to capable employees. What is the difference? The machines can be the similar, the basic materials can be the same, the educational background can be the same.
    The only difference is the location(country) with employees with different nationality.
    Do some people think that foreign people which are not japanese are more stupid and don't have the ability to build a good product?
    Most people here say "Yonex rackets are good quality sporting goods".
    Other companies build there racket in china or taiwan or whatever and the can manufacture a good racket too!
    I know the problem. Maybe Yonex fool the customers. But you are only fooled if you think you bought a racket manufactured with magical machines and bewitched materials which are only able to find in Japan.
    We live in a century of globalisation and it's possible that some production steps are made in different countries. So long Yonex don't break a law for their MADE IN JAPAN better JAPAN Logo it's ok.
    As long a product performs well it's quality with don't implicit a special country.

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

I am still not quite decided

I am still not quite decided ucantseeme, :):):)

Let's talk about beer, since many say that Germany has the best beer in the world.

BECK'S, a well-known beer from Germany, is quite popular in Australia.

Some of my German friends tell that BECK'S brewed in Australia taste not quite the same as the BECK'S brewed in Germany. You will have to come to Australia to taste it and tell me. ;););)

http://www.becksbeer.com.au/ (Bier Facts)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLSyNvSJT-E

For me, the best beer is the one brewed closest to where I live. :D:D:D

12. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

And that would be VB (Victoria Bitter) :D

13. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I think your accord isn't acceptable.
    Reason: The raw materials like cereals and hops are grown under other climate influence. The ground and clime effect difference in the materials to brew a beer.
    There is a difference in the plants so the beer can taste different if its brewn with the same method and standards.
    The raw materials and mineral sources for rackets are not connect to the agrar economy.

Back to beer :): Beck's isn't the best german beer. Jever and Moritz Fiege taste much better. If you like I can send you a package of good beer.;)

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Jever and Moritz Fiege beer

Thanks. :):):)

See if I can find Jever and Moritz Fiege beer in Melbourne, Australia.

15. xlli00

xlli00 New Member

phd biology,MD
    agreed.
    that`s why some people prefer yonex jp`rackets regardless of the much higher price.

16. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I would disagree!" To little Wikileaks!! Do you think we should only trust the information provided to us from the marketing departments???

17. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    Even Mizuno rackets r labelled made in China,under supervision from Japan.Even though they're made in China,we know that these rackets have a standard that's above China's local brand,even if it's the same locally manufactured.

@kwun,yonex racket covers r labelled made in Taiwan,as for most bags too.While as for shoes,even the JP code SHB they labelled as made in China.

Just as for any other Japanese Brand,including in automotives,such as Toyota,Honda,etc..they have factories all around the world,outside japan.But then,they still maintain the so called as "Japan Quality" that stand a-rest from the other "made ins".

While as for the rackets,the only explanation i could think of,is that probably they r manufactured using Japan Yonex materials outside of Japan to save manufacturing cost n the pollution,under the supervision of Yonex Japan or Yonex Japan Supervisor that based in the factories.To make it more assured,it's shipped back to Japan before it's again shipped to world wide,whether the product quality is good enough to be labelled made in Japan.Because if the product quality itself is not qualified to be labelled made in Japan,then it would do some damage to the brand image n including the country's name as well.That,in the past,will cause them to do "harakiri" (Kill himself by stabbing katana to his own stomach).By that,we can be assured that made in Japan is equally "Japan Quality".:D

#77 Smichz, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  18. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

heard the exact same rumor from a fella hailing from china... although i have my doubts.
    heres my 2 cents into the ante...

my carlton ractkets are made in china.. says china on the butt cap but on the shaft, it says "Japanese HM carbon", so... raw material from japan then manufactured in china or shaft made in japan and then the rest put together and finished in china?

food for thought.

19. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    The graphite material pusrchased from Japaneese company, all manufacturing in CHN.

20. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

makes as much difference as no difference, works just fine, just as well.
    still ironic though... japanese carbon, manufactured in china, strung with string made in the USA. :p