Yu Yang (于洋) / Tang Yuanting (唐渊渟)

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by jdileo, Apr 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

Here it says that TYT has also withdrawn from the national team to (补课) make up her studies in Wuhan university.
    http://sport.qq.com/a/20160920/044327.htm.
    Is it the reason why the Chen Qingchen /TYT pair has withdrawn from the ongoing Japan Open?

#21 tbgoh288, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Oh dear, Tang Yuanting is only 22 years old and Wang Zhengming, 26.

I remember when TYT wanted to go full-time professional two years back or so, her parents, both of whom are engineers, disapproved but she insisted. Now I believe she's disheartened by the Rio Olympics flop, such a shame. She's definitely still good for many more years, a huge talent.

I supposed she's under pressure from her parents to finish her University studies first. If three or four years later, depending on her course of studies, she'll be 25 or 26, and wants to make a comeback, she'll have to overcome difficult odds.

I can fully understand and empathize with her parents' anxiety about her career prospects. This is a common predicament most one-child families in China face.

#22 Justin L, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  3. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Must have pissed off with CBA for pairing her up with the over the hill YY which shattered her Olympic dream.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Admittedly, sad to say, quite a bit of truth in what you said.

5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Phew, thanks to Zhao Jianhua, presently Guanxi badminton Head Coach, who clarified that she's not retiring but only on leave back home in Guanxi for recuperation and should resume national training after a period of time. So much for the rumours.

(What about Wang Zhengming's retirement ?)

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    This is not what BWF reports! BWF report says Tang Yuanting is retiring as informed by CBA to BWF.

8. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    no time frame given consider as retirement or temporary retirement

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

If the word retirement is not used, then it means a break, that is temporary time off. So far, only the five are confirmed retired, that is ZYL, TQ, YY, WYH and WSX.

Not too sure about WZM but I won't be surprised if he's retired. TYT is still not verified.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

What is curious is why have CBA informed BWF of WZM and TYT?

And if TYT really is temporary time, why inform BWF? I speculate that informing BWF is actually withdrawing the player's registration.

11. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

The most jarringretirementnews yet from China emerged today as the Badminton World Federation (BWF) announced that world #2 women’s doubles player Tang Yuanting was calling it quits at age 22.

Photos: Badmintonphoto

Yesterday, the BWF confirmed that Tang’s partner Yu Yang, with whom she won three Superseries titles and reached the semi-finals of the RioOlympics, had retired, along with four other veterans. Yu’s departure from the Chinese national team was more or less expected by many observers even before the Rio Games who could have predicted that the name of the youngTang Yuanting(pictured) would be added to the list the very next day?

Tang Yuanting is very much a new face in world badminton. Unlike the majority of Chinese stars, she did not debut on the senior stage after a year of junior glory. Instead, she burst onto the stage to win the 2013 New Zealand Open just a few months before her 19th birthday and a year later, she had already collected her first Superseries title, at the 2014 India Open. She went on to win two more Superseries titles with Yu Yang, along with one each with Ma Jin and Bao Yixin. A new partnership with 19-year-old Chen Qingchen, with whom she won two key matches at this year’s Uber Cup finals, was among the most exciting new pairings in the post-Rio period but they were withdrawn from the Japan and Korea Opens and Chen will be back with her junior partner Jia Yifan for next month’s Denmark Open.

Also announced today was the retirement ofWang Zhengming(pictured). Wang Zhengming, 26, was the World Junior Champion in 2008 and he picked up his only Superseries title in 2013 at the China Masters, which also became his last international title when he won the 2015 edition, after it had been transformed into aGrand PrixGold event.

We at Badzine wish all of the departing Chinese players success on their new career paths.

http://www.badzine.net/2016/09/tang-yuanting-world-2-quits-at-22/

12. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

This is getting interesting and complicating. Tang Yuanting herself denied she's retired saying she only applied for long leave, three months until year end; meanwhile she's posted back to her provincial team in Guanxi. No wonder Zhao Jianhua, the Guangxi provincial head coach, is so clear about her case. But she didn't say when she'll be back to the national team, only saying she needed to recuperate and rejuvenate herself for the time being. It was reported she was still carrying a fever after coming back from Rio, was prescribed medicine by the doctor who also instructed a longer recovery period for her (no mention what illness she's suffering from).

Even Li Yongbo came out to clarify there's no retirement for Tang Yuangting, affirming she's taking a long break, three months to end of year to recover from her health problem, that's why she's returning to her provincial team for recuperation.

At the same time, the writer of the qq.com article also said even for Wang Zhengming and the five ladies previously mentioned, they've all applied to leave the national team but that is not considered as officially retired. In fact, Wang Zhengming, Wang Yihan and Wang Shixian, all three of them have planned to participate in next year's 17th Chinese National Games, a quadrennial multi-sport event. Either BWF made a mistake or someone in CBA who submitted the report to BWF misinformed them.

My understanding is all seven of them aren't training in the national team and have all taken unspecified breaks as well as not playing in any international tournaments for a period of time. I suspect the management was taken aback by the seven players' intentions, whether it's long break or retirement, and they are told to go on leave first before they (the management) decide what to do next at a later time.

Apparently the writer is saying leaving the national team is not the same as retiring, so I suppose we have to await CBA's official announcement, hopefully soon.

14. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    i think the only logical solution is that China do not know how long Tang want her "break" and decided to take her out of the Ranking #, since she is top 10, she much features in super series final and if not CHina will get fined.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Personally, I believe Zhao Yunlei, Tian Qing and Yu Yang are intent on retiring as they are all 30 already and we know the likely reasons applicable to each of them.

As for the rest, namely, WZM (age 26), WYH (age 28) , WSX (age 26), and TYT (age 22), there are specific good reasons for each of them to carry on, so probably they just want to take a break meanwhile. However, should WYH decide to call it quits, I'm not too surprised.

16. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    I understand if Zhao, tian, yu yang and wyh have decided to retire they already have achieved so much and age is another factor but why tang yuan ting and wsx, I simply can not digest it.. .I can't picture women's doubles and women's singles without tang and Wang shixian respectively, this is bizarre. I hope these all are just false rumors.

17. event

event Regular Member

That's not exactly true. There is no fine if one member of a pair has retired. For example, the BKA was not fined in 2012 when Jung Jae Sung had retired.

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

When a China player retires from the National team after the Olympics, it is quite normal that they go back to their provincial team. They have retired from International competition. They will still play and train until after the All China National games which is the year after the Olympics. This is the norm.

Now, for all of the players mentioned, it is entirely plausible that they all retire from representing China except for Tang Yuan Ting because she has the brightest future and age is on her side.

So, I am going to throw a little conspiracy theory into the mix. What if Tang was given a medicine that happened to have a banned substance? The evidence would take three to four months to clear the body...

khoai likes this.
  19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Well, if she's required to take a medication that happened to be a banned substance then CBA will apply for TUE.

visor likes this.
  20. event

event Regular Member

This is the same for China and Korea. But to the outside world, there is so little difference. With China, at least the National Games and the CBSL get televised. In Korea, one domestic event only gets 2 or 3 matches televised in total, most are team ties and there is no ranking system to ensure that a top player plays the top player from the other team so you get Son Wan Ho and Lee Hyun Il on opposing teams but each plays an unknown player. Jung Jae Sung played in Korea for his Samsung team this past June and Lee Hyo Jung played earlier this month for Gimcheon but it sure looks a whole lot like retirement to most of the world.

Interestingly, the BWF announcement for the first five women said they had learned the five had 'retired from national duty' and that the news came from the CBA. However, in the case of Tang and Wang, the wording is slightly more precise. It says: 'their official retirements were submitted to BWF by the CBA'. In other words, in the case of the two youngest, the news appears to come from within the BWF, based on documentation received. As for the other five, there is no explicit mention of the documentation.
    I thought about this, too. Even leaving substances aside, certain players have to constantly update their whereabouts to be available for surprise, out-of-competition testing. That doesn't sound conducive to a relaxation period. Official retirement is likely the only way to cancel that and as we've seen with Lee Hyun Il, even an official retirement submitted to the BWF can be reversed.