Zakry Latif & Fairuzizuan Tazari aka Fuzzy pair

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by eaglehelang, Jun 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

I can understand Malaysians are estatic with MZ/MF now. But lets hold em' horses for now and hope this pair dont take the road of KKK/TBH and become big time Charlies. Yes, they have the potential. Yes, they won SO & IO. And yes, they are Malaysians. But lets hope their feet remains firmly grounded.

2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!!!!

[​IMG]

3. george@chongwei

4. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Fuzzy did it again!

Source: The Star Online

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia have finally nailed the Indonesian Open men’s doubles title that had eluded them for 18 years with Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif-Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari rising to the occasion to win it yesterday.

And even stomach cramps to Fairuzizuan did not deter the Malaysian duo, who were seeded eighth, from giving their best to beat 2000 Sydney Olympics gold medallists Tony Gunawan-Candra Wijaya 19-21, 21-18, 21-14 in a 53-minute final at the Istora Senayan in Jakarta yesterday.

With the win over the American-Indonesian combination yesterday, Zakry-Fairuzizuan are the only second Malaysian pair after Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong to win back-to-back international Open titles.

[​IMG] Simply the best: Zakry and Fairuzizuan celebrating after they beat Tony Gunawan-Candra Wijaya to win the Indonesia Open.

They were the champions at the Singapore Open last week.

Fairuzizuan almost gave up after suffering from stomach cramp when they were leading 17-14 in the opening game.

“We went on the attack from the start. It was very close as we exchanged the lead several times until we took the lead. Then, I felt the pain in my stomach after going for several smashes,” said Fairuzizuan in a telephone interview from Jakarta yesterday.

“I felt like fainting due to the sharp pain. I hung on but we lost the game. We are playing in the final and we did not want to give up. I was determined to stay focussed and with strong support from Zakry, we bounced back strongly to score this memorable win.

“We believe in each other’s ability and I think, the trust was the key to our success.”

Zakry said that it was proud moment for them to be the first Malaysian men’s doubles champions in an Open tournament of a country known for their prowess in the game.

“Our target this year was to win one title and we have now done better with two. We are feeling very confident of ourselves now, especially after having beaten an experienced pair like Tony and Candra,” he said.

It is the second win in three meetings for Zakry-Fairuzizuan over the vastly experienced pair. Their other win was also achieved in the Indonesian Open, in the semi-finals last year.

“We wished that we had struck such good form earlier when we were fighting for a place in the Beijing Olympics. But we will continue to work hard and be recognised as a pair who can perform consistently well in tournaments,” said Zakry.

Zakry-Fairuzizuan are down to play in the Thailand Open, which start on Wednesday. But they are waiting for the green light from doubles chief coach Rexy Mainaky to opt out of the tournament.

5. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    i am happy they won. i think fuzzy is an ok nick for them. they were a bit blurry and fuzzy in the beginning. but now they can play real well together. however until they defeat the top seeds like LYD/JJS and MK/HS and CY/FHF regularly, they are still a work in progress and i hope that they will progress very well. :D

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..as long as MZ & MF don't declare and promise either or both will get a crew cut hairdo, i think they'll be fine... :cool:
    ..i guess all the M'sian baddy fans are feeling jazzy and snazzy, eh??.. ;)

7. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Wait.... I thought madbad like uncle Tony/Chandra more ?

Precisely, looks are deceiving ;);). They look like some 'blur' cuddly toy but they show other wise, he he. Better than just "Fuzzy" cos it means brain always full of cobwebs. I originally called them Courageous Shortie & Fuzzy but that's too long to type, dont think anyone would use it. You'll be surprised in real life stimes the outlandish ones are used :D

Most probably they will end up as "the Fuzzies" in BC.
    Anyway, congrats to them, keep up the good work.

8. eaglehelang

Nahhh, no such thing, just glad they finally won sthing.
    Some said they beat some Cap Ayam (Chicken brand) pairs in SO. Wasnt their fault other pairs disposed of the 2 Denmark uncle pairs, the 2 Japanense pair & China no 2 pair (Zakry must thank his bro for that).

Only one Cap Harimau (Tiger brand) pair in their path in IO. The cap Harimau pair already beat the WR#1 pair earlier, so next time only we'll know if they can beat Kido/Setiawan.

Ah ha, maybe we can also call them "Cap Beruang" pair, in the hope that they will be strong, mighty & fierce.

Now for press articles, this KM Boopathy is kind today, normally he doesnt give praises, maybe ppl think Fuzzy is too... blurry :D :

NST
    23 June 2008
    Badminton/Indonesia Open: Zakry-Fairuz join the elite club

By K.M. Boopathy

2008/06/23

ZAKRY Latif-Fairuzizuan Tazari can now stake claim to be one of the elite combinations in world men's doubles after securing their second straight Super Series title at the Indonesia Open in Jakarta yesterday. Zakry-Fairuz, the World No 13, came back from a game down to beat former Olympic champions Candra Wijaya of Indonesia and Tony Gunawan of the United States 19-21, 21-18, 21-14 in 53 minutes at the Gelora Bung Karno Stadium.

They are the second Malaysian pair to claim back-to-back Super Series crowns after Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong as they had won the Singapore Open last week. Kien Keat-Boon Heong clinched the All England and Swiss Open back-to-back last year.

Victory did not come easy for the Malaysian pair as Fairuz was carrying a slight knee strain but they were solid enough to deny Candra-Tony their second Indonesia Open crown in three years.

There were also some anxious moments as Zakry-Fairuz allowed Candra-Tony to reduce the deficit from 19-12 to 19-18 in the second game but closed the door on their opponents by securing the next two points. The Malaysians then took complete control of the deciding third game to win 21-14.

Not only did Zakry-Fairuz earn their biggest purse to date, US$18,000 (RM58,500), yesterday, but will also break into the top 10 when the weekly world ranking is released by the Badminton World Federation (BWF) on Thursday.

National doubles coach Rexy Mainaky said in Kuala Lumpur yesterday the pair's latest win will be a major boost and they must aim to win more Super Series titles and also target the World Championships in India next year.

"They have proved that they can be consistent by winning their second consecutive title and beating one of world's top pairs. Zakry-Fairuz must aim for other Super Series titles and also the World Championship," said Rexy.

"The positive change was evident especially with Fairuz, who is very serious in training and focused in tournaments. They must not let the momentum slip as this is just the start for better things to come.

"Remaining level-headed at all times is something they must remember and if they continue to work hard, they can keep on winning and also beat other pairs in the world."

"Zakry-Fairuz have shown they are successors to Choong (Tan Fook) and Lee (Wan Wah). I also hope that their success will motivate Koo-Tan and Choong-Lee to do well in the Beijing Olympics (in August)," Rexy added.

Zakry and Fairuz have withdrawn from the Thailand Open which begins on Wednesday in order to help the latter recover from the knee strain he suffered in Indonesia.

Hosts Indonesia captured two titles through Sony Dwi Kuncoro in the men's singles and Vita Marissa-Lilyana Natsir in the women's doubles.

Sony beat compatriot Simon Santoso 19-21, 21-14, 21-9 while Vita-Lilyana beat Japan's Miyuki Maeda-Satoko Suetsuna 21-15, 21-14.

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Monday/Sport/2274718/Article/pppull_index_html

9. eaglehelang

10. whatever

whatever Regular Member

whatever
    i still hope they can go to OG'08 coz not sure in 2012 they still in their best condition right now. hope BAM can change their mind....Go FUZZZY

11. kenny7_2006

kenny7_2006 Regular Member

Working student...
    congrats to Fuzzy! finally they have shown their true potential!

i really like this pair, even when they were with their ex-partners last time... hope they can really cement their place as the top 2 MAS MD after CTF-LWW's retirement...

keep on going, and remain rooted to the ground! hehe...

12. kenny7_2006

kenny7_2006 Regular Member

Working student...
    BTW the nick Za-Fa really reminds me of Frank Zappa... haha... Fuzzy is nicer and cuter... haha...

13. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

congrats to them, well done. now, i hope we'll see them produce similarly consistent results when the big pairs come back.

14. Xenoy009

Xenoy009 Regular Member

office lady
    congrats to Fuzzy! (i think the nick name 'Fuzzy' is very ok, already get used it). Hope their back-to-back win can boost Uncles & KKK-TBH to perform well in Olympics. They must prove that giving them the OG08 entry ticket is not a wrong decision.

15. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    BAM never do wrong decision.:D:D

16. george@chongwei

17. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

I think KKK must at first try to show up for training first before we talk about that gold in Beijing.

Rexy is fuming with KKK no show.

18. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

"Some said they beat some Cap Ayam (Chicken brand) pairs in SO" :eek:

Sometimes I find Malaysia Boleh fans feel insecure when Malaysian shuttlers win something. I mean MZ/MF winning both the SO & IO is a good thing. But why bring in things like Cap Ayam or Cap Harimau etc etc? The minority and majority thingy?? :eek: What la.

MZ/MF won the SO & IO, period. I hope they be focused and grounded because they have the potential to achieve much more.

And please leave comments such as Cap Ayam etc on the sidelines.

19. eaglehelang

Aiyooo, like that also want to comment. Someone else started the "Cap Ayam" thingy in another thread stime ago & another person brought it up in the IO finals thread. The person who started the "Cap Ayam" happen to like Fuzzy. They know who they are & what I mean, it's all in the fun.
    Other people said "Cap Ayam" can, eagle say "Cap Ayam" cannot? hiyaaa ;):)

There are those who said sthing to the effect of hold your horses lah, wait they become big time Charlie lah.
    Praise cannot, dont praise also want to comment comment:p :D

#59 eaglehelang, Jun 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Zakri & Tazari wins Aviva Open Singapore 2008 final

I hope this pair will enjoy more success in the years to come since they are still young at 25. But as many have commented, I also hope they will not let success get into their heads too early and destroy their future. If they remain humble and committed to training as they are now, I'm sure they will improve further under Rexy.

En-route to their victory at the recent Aviva Open Singapore 2008, they managed to defeat their compatriots who should know their game well. And to top it up with a back-to-back win at the just concluded Djarum Indonesian Open by beating Olympic veterans, Tony Gunawan and Candra Wijaya, this "Fuzzy" pair has arrived and confirmed that they are the pair to watch in the near term. They may even outshine KKK/TBH and put Malaysia in an enviable position of possessing so many top class MD pairs. ;)

"Fuzzy" pair Aviva Open Singapore victory results:

R1 - Choong Tan Fook/Lee Wan Wah (MAS) w.o.
    R2 - Yonathan Suryatama Dasuki/Rian Sukmawan (INA) 21-18, 21-12 (27min)
    QF - Koh Chung Chiat/Tan Bin Shen 21-23, 21-13, 21-7 (MAS) (38)
    SF - Cho Gun Woo/Yoo Yeon Seong (KOR) 21-17, 21-15 (32)
    F - Gan Teik Chai/Lin Woon Fui (MAS) 21-18, 21-17 (33)

During the Indonesian Open, they again beat the Korean pair in R2 but it was more difficult as the score of 14-21, 23-21, 21-15 in 53 min indicated. They might have lost the second game and match! If these pairs should meet again, it would be very interesting to watch!

Some pics of the final match against Gan and Lin during the Aviva Open:

Attached Files:

#60 Loh, Jun 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.