Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

Zheng Siwei/Huang Yaqiong

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

A thread for this outstanding XD pair, Zheng Siwei/Huang Yaqiong, is long overdue as the two partners are in for the long haul and ready for the big time.

As it is, the pair is the newly crowned Mixed Doubles World Champion 2018 held at Nanjing, China.

Now, today on 24th Aug at Jakarta, Istora Senayan stadium, they are also the newly-minted Asian Games 2018 XD gold medallists.

Heartiest congratulations to Zheng Siwei and Huang Yaqiong for another big achievement in their careers.

Zheng Siwei, age 21, born 26 Feb 1997, in Wenzhou, China
    Huang Yaqiong, age 24, born 28 Feb 1994, in Zhejiang, China.

2. lurker

lurker Regular Member

3. wade

wade Regular Member

i know this is probably a silly question considering they just won the world championship and asian games, but do you think this partnership are better than zheng siwei/chen qingchen partnership ?

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I should think the two combinations are comparable, with Huang Yaqiong and Chen Qingchen having slightly different playing styles and strengths.

The problem is Zhang Jun felt the need for Chen Qingchen to concentrate only on one discipline, that is WD, no double duty, so as to ensure she and her WD partner, Jia Yifan, can be a reliable and formidable pair by not overstretching herself thin playing both XD and WD. Similarly for Huang Yaqiong who is tasked to focus on XD alone.

In other words, Zhang Jun has forbidden any doubles player from doing double duty for the Olympics.

Still, from what I've gathered, both CQC and HYQ are put on standby as reserves in case of need, CQC in XD with Zheng Siwei and HYQ in WD with Yu Xiaohan (or possibly Tang Jinhua) as and when necessary in team events.

5. Ukfbk

Ukfbk Regular Member

CBA are really firm with their decision and they are not reluctant by chinese fans who wants some player to do double duty . But I think that double duty somehow turn out player to be more outstanding that they can develope more skill . They are still young , so I think that CBA should give their trust to them .

6. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

Probably during trainings they do that. But not for actual competitions.

7. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Zheng Siwei is way better than Zhang Nan according to me.

8. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

I actually think so. Yaqiong’s defense is clearly better than Qingchen. And I think that’s more important. Siwei’s style is quite adventurous. They don’t need to double down with another fast player in Qingchen. Yaqiong’s defense helps to balance the pair. And Yaqiong’s net play is still at a good level.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I beg to differ, Zhang Nan is a bit less attacking nor as fast but he's more experienced, steady, creative, a more balanced all-rounder in attack,defence and in setting up for his partner to follow up, just that his partner, whether in MD or XD are more often than not unable to read his shotmaking, their skills, mutual understanding and rapport somewhat not fully established yet. That's just my opinion.

Remember how good Zhang Nan and Zhao Yunlei used to be, a great XD pair, as well as Zhang Nan with Fu Haifeng in MD, not to mention how Zhang Nan carried his MD partner, Liu Cheng, to a world championship crown.

regularAl, Cheung and Sdrqaz like this.
  10. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Way better according to me too

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Athleticism and power yes. Fine control and badminton brain will go to Zhang Nan

alien9113 and Justin L like this.
  12. ownz.uno

ownz.uno Regular Member

Hendra Setiawan to name few. Not many can have same level with ZN on that particular area though..

13. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member