ZM62 Fire reviews and comments

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by zombie0517, Jan 31, 2015.

1. pathan

pathan Regular Member

musician
    I am so getting this for my rackets... I thought the 62 was simply stunning. I was satisfied with the feel until the day it broke. I sold off one other racket that was strung with 62. 62F here I come...

2. dmurf

dmurf Regular Member

I have to say WOW! I am loving this string!!

Stringing:
    When it came to biting the bullet and cutting out my current strings I decided to go slightly lighter than I said I would in an earlier post as I am now using a new racket (Voltric 70 E-Tune with purple grommets) and also I've not used Zymax 62F so went 22 x 24 to start. The actual stringing went very well found it string to be quite soft/supple which did make it easy to thread through shared grommets, on a slight downside I found I kept on having to clip/trim the end of the to string to sharpen/reshape it to make it easier to thread through the grommets from inside to outside - had to do this more than any other string I have used.

Playing:
    The repulsion is really great! As I got to my club session early I decided to set a target (the cap from the shuttle tube) at the service line on the other side of the net to see how the string change affected my accuracy, initially the increase in repulsion threw me a bit and found I was overshooting the line by quite a bit! After a bit of practice I found I was hitting the target more often than not. So next I decided to drive some shuttles to the back of the court and again was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to drive it to the back of the court! The only thing I struggle to get used to was net play and found myself pinging the shuttle over the net when the intention was just to clear the net, but I think after a bit more practice I will get a handle on that.

I can't say I saw any string movement even after a couple of games where I smashed the shuttle quite hard and finally I wanted to mention that the note/sound out of the string was really nice - a bit of a metallic ping as the shuttle hit the strings.

I think it has held it's tension well since being strung last Tuesday afternoon, I checked it today using racquettune app and it's reading 21.4/21.6lbs. overall I am really glad I purchased this and think I will continue to use it.... well until something thinner comes out!! :p

3. visor

visor Regular Member

At the same 23x24 lbs tension, 62F feels slightly less crispy with less feel and repulsion than 62 2nd gen. Will have to go up 1 lb next time.

But at least it's more durable.

4. 1hotdr

1hotdr Regular Member

I finally got a chance to try this out today. Strung at 24x26 on a drop weight machine after a manual prestretch to 27 lbs. It pinged at 1204 hz right off the machine. I let it sit for 4 hours then played for 1.5 hrs.

I was quite impressed. I normally play BG 80 @ 25x27. I've tried the old Zymax 65 and 62. Neither of those swayed me away from BG 80 but this new 62 fire might win me over. It seemed like it had good power and control. Drop shots and slice drop shots were very very good. Repulsion on drives, clears, and smash returns was great as well. Smash power seemed pretty good but to be honest I didn't do a lot of high power smashes tonight so I can't judge that fairly. Smash accuracy was very good.

It will take me another session or two to adjust to the feel at the net. I'm not totally used to the extra repulsion yet. And I will try to get in some more all-out smashes to see how I like the power.

After playing I pinged it again on carltune and got 1148hz. I estimate about 2/3 lb tension drop? I will check if it stabilizes there or keeps dropping some more.

5. pathan

pathan Regular Member

musician
    alright I'm just about to place an order of 4 zymax 62 fire! :) now the fun begins... we've got an amazing stringer at Ayer Keroh, Melaka. Gonna give it to him for stringing at 27lbs to try first. :)

Just wondering if the color of the string matters at all? any reviews? I'm ordering 2 red and 2 silver.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

the new fire only comes in white or orange... make sure you dont order the old one!

7. pathan

pathan Regular Member

musician
    Thanks for the heads up... I just noticed that I was looking at the Zymax 62 catalog and not the Zymax Fire. I just sent an update to the seller for the color choice, for Zymax 62 Fire. Thanks again. :)
    I got to play with my old racket which I sold to a friend. I had strung it with Zymax 62 at 28lbs. After 4 months, it's still going, still pinging on net shots, though it feels a little dull compared to the time I used it fresh after stringing. Can't wait to try the Fire series!!!

8. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

The fire is very nice. But I ain't throwing away my reels of old Z62 quite yet :rolleyes:
    I am still in love with the amazing cuts and slices that are possible with that homely, marvelous string. (The 'Jane Eyre' of strings -- not so beautiful, but oh so capable!);)

9. visor

visor Regular Member

You're quite right... for those of us who use ZM62 at lowish tensions of around 23-25 lbs.
    But for those who require tensions much higher than that, ZM62 won't be too durable.

That's where ZM62 Fire comes in, it'll have the required durability to withstand the high tensions some seek from a thin string.

10. pathan

pathan Regular Member

musician
    ZM62 lasted me at least a month if I can remember well... I had it strung at 28lbs. I went all out with smashes... quite a few off center miss-hits too...

11. pathan

pathan Regular Member

musician
    One of my friends tried Zymax 62 at 24lbs... it was a little bouncy for me... hard to control especially at the net... but defense and blocking shots felt so easy...

12. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I do hope so. I finally got some ZM62F. It plays very well -- maybe better than 62, not sure yet. Now it just has to last more than a week. ;)

13. speck

speck Regular Member

err...62f on the left.

14. pathan

pathan Regular Member

musician
    what is the answer? left or right? ;)

15. Stealthking

Stealthking Regular Member

Anyone else noticed this...? Was stringing with both BG-66UM and my recently arrived ZM-66FP. I noticed that the Zymax 66 FP was thicker although they were both supposed to be 0.66mm.

Stuck them both on a micrometre and here are the results... BG66 (0.670mm) and ZM66 (0.701mm). Interesting...... I'll find out on court tomorrow to see how they compare.

ZM-66FP vs BG-66UM.jpg

16. visor

visor Regular Member

[MENTION=2233]Gollum[/MENTION]
    Yes, please report back on how long it lasts for you. :)

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes, 62F on left, it's purer white than 62 ivory white

18. pathan

pathan Regular Member

musician
    IMG_0133.jpg Mmmm... mmmm.... mmmmmmmmmmmmm!!! :)
    My strings are here. Got 2 orange and one ivory in the mail today. Selling one to a friend... people really gotta try this string!!!

19. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>
    " This string is on fire... "
    ~ Alicia Keys
    { ^.^}

20. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Just tried the 62 white @24lb tonight for the first time. I see now why it has its own thread. Silly Ducky.