ZYL/TQ: the end of the road?

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by renbo, Nov 20, 2015.

1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    btw this is their recent appearance in China Open. U see any eye contacts or exchange of words between the two??

#21 pcll99, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2016
  2. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Thanks for the link, the article about Pan Li is very interesting!

3. bayanbaru

bayanbaru Regular Member

China should have drop ZYL/TQ from the Dubai World SS Finals, they are not even communicating in court.....

4. RuSSy

RuSSy Regular Member

Student
    I don't think so.
    They win yesterday, and they're world champ.

5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  6. sojayen

sojayen New Member

investor
    hi everyone (registered just to post this :D)

it just pains me with their on-court demeanour with each other today (zero interaction). it's ok to lose but no encouragement, communication or even eye contact with each other in between point intervals? :confused::eek::mad:

i think it all started at last year's Dubai finals when they played Matsutomo/ Takahashi. ZYL was somehow unhappy with TQ on her "mistakes". i guess ZYL being the "leader" but with TQ running around most of the time, i think, ZYL could/ should have shown more appreciation and understanding towards her partner. and the relations seems to be stuck in the freezer ever since.

they were split up earlier in the year with TQ/ Xia Huan and ZYL focusing more on mixed. but somehow got back together for their country's sake with the olympics in sight??? they are still the best pairing imho... i hope they'll kiss and makeup soon cause they're my favorite women's pairing ever. they complement each other so well...

i'm sure their coaches and management team are aware of what has been happening the past year and if they can't help them patch things up, the right thing to do is to split them up permanently cause it is getting unbearable to see them continue on like this... :(:(

7. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Yes, it's so obvious that they don't like each other. Like yesterday, even Christina and Kamilla lost, they still shake hand with each other, and chat while walking away from court. But TQ and ZYL didn't look at each other at all and walk off the court separately. So awkward. But if they are still the best WD in the world even with communication, what can the coaches do?

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Wow, if they're still winning with this icy relationship between them, can you imagine what they can achieve otherwise?

9. bayanbaru

bayanbaru Regular Member

not everything is about winning.....

10. sojayen

sojayen New Member

investor
    both of them are excellent badminton players with wonderful personalities (judging from their prior interviews), they are just too good to be treating each other this way. sometimes, it boils down to who is willing to take the first step..

i may be biased towards TQ :D, but if ZYL, being the "leader" is able to overcome her pride and be the first to break the ice and approach TQ with humility (i'm sorry, please forgive me, let's be the best of friends again blah blah blah), i believe they can resolve this petty dispute instantly.

both of them are nearing the end of their optimal athletic abilities (approaching 30). if they can't overcome this "trivial squabbling", even with all their medals, they will eventually come to regret this childish episode down the road once they have retired. i just hope they don't go down this road :(

11. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I don't think there was some sort of clash between the two. As we know, they live together and had been for many years, and with all the team to mediate, I am sure a clash would have been settled already. It must be (if there it is true that they don't get along anymore) some objective conflict, something nobody can work out without deep change.

12. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

So I heard Zhang Nan went to bed with Tian Qing after ZYL and ZN married. It's very easy to understand why everything started falling apart so suddenly.
    Props to ZYL for dealing with it so well, esp in Chinese culture too.

buibui2 likes this.
  13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

As far as I know, Zhang Nan and Zhao Yunlei were never married to each other, and they broke up months ago ,which explains their inconsistent XD results as well as WD's, Zhao YL/Tian Qing's.

So sad and unfortunate that it had to happen just before the Rio Olympics, it more or less cost Team CHN at least a place in the finals for XD and WD, if Zhao Yunlei didn't pull out last-minute from the WD, possibly two gold medals.

True, Zhao Yunlei/Zhang Nan are a great XD pair, probably one of the greatest in history.

Now, Tian Qing has announced her retirement and ZYL and ZN have split as a coupe and as a XD pair.

Relationship problems are very difficult to resolve. I doubt Li Yongbo could do anything to prevent it or solve it when the matter came to a head so near to the Olympics.

hezudao likes this.
  14. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    There is one thing I don't really understand.

The icy relationship between ZYL and TQ started long time ago. It became apparent to badminton fans probably in mid 2015. (Some may say late 2014.) Coaches most likely knew about their problem early in the qualification cycle.

Why didn't the coaches separate ZYL/TQ early while there were still plenty of time?

Don't tell me they wanted to send Luo/Luo from day one.

15. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

It wasn't obvious to us till VERY late in 2015, and at best two months earlier for the coaches. ZYL/TQ won the world championships in 2015 in August, and the two were clearly talking and hi-fiving each other. I suspect no one knew or nothing happened back then.

Even the coaches didn't know what to do when something happened so late.

Justin L likes this.
  16. renbo

renbo Regular Member

It is possible their relation degraded when ZYL decided not to compete in WD for the OLY. It was TQ's best chance for a participation and a new medal.

17. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    TQ and ZYL parted company after All England 2015 (held in March 2015). It was 2 months before the start of the Olympic qualification cycle. For the next few months, TQ partnered with two other players in WD while ZYL concentrated on XD. So this is the first possible moment in time when the coaches realised something had gone wrong with TQ and ZYL.

TQ and ZYL reunited for the WC2015, which was held in early Aug 2015, and they won. (I would guess that the coaches didn't expect them to win as they had parted company already a few months earlier.)

Although ZYL and TQ won, I would say they weren't talking to one another much. Feel free to disagree.

TQ played with Zhong XQ for Japan Open 2015 (early Sept 2015) with the deadline for entry 6 weeks beforehand. Obviously when TQ/ZXQ were entered for Japan Open, the coaches didn't know ZYL/TQ would win WC2015.

But they did. My guess is that since ZYL and TQ won the WC2015, the coaches took the risk of reuniting ZYL and TQ knowing full well what had happened among ZYL, TQ and Zhang Nan. (Just guessing.)

ZYL and TQ were fielded for Denmark 2015 (in mid Oct 2015). By this time, it is more than obvious even to outsiders that something was very wrong with these two.

By Hong Kong Open 2015, renbo started this thread.

Rumours about an affair between TQ and ZN started on the Chinese badminton forum around the same time..

http://bbs.badmintoncn.com/thread-531078-1-1.html

#37 pcll99, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    buibui2 likes this.
  18. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    [deleted. double post]

19. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

Rumors are just rumors, but this one seems to be a completely logical story. ZYL is the smarter one by far and a better match for Zhang Nan, but TQ's pretty cute (and looks better). With hectic lives, ZN probably hasn't been in bed with another person. ZYL having a breakdown with both pairings. I didn't think ZN ZYL would ever breakup with their personalities but here's to proving me wrong. I have to say ZYL has a very high EQ (not only IQ) compared to Yu Yang.
    All my thoughts are speculations; but I think the rumors are pretty reasonable.

I'll disagree with you for the WC 2015, there were regular hi-fives and those two were speaking to each other. They could have broken up earlier just to train up the new and upcoming players, which is reasonable.

You do know your info better than I did on this case, it was by october that they were not talking, not december as I originally thought.

buibui2 and pcll99 like this.
  20. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    ZYL, TQ and ZN are my favourite players. I like all three of them. I just feel really awful for what had happened. TQ lost everything, not even a chance to go to the Olympics. ZYL just a bronze.

Thank goodness ZN and FHF won gold and that LYB may be held accountable for the whole mess!!!