Yonex ArcSaber Z Slash Review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ants, Jul 26, 2009.

1. MetalOrange

MetalOrange Regular Member

not to deviate too far but with relevance...

If I might add...I frequently switch between ovals and ISOs and it does helps in the transitionioning from regular ISO to slim and narrower ARC ZS.

Anyways the other day, I brought my trusty Cab 20 & 21 (strung at 25/27), plus my NS9900 and ZRC ZS (strung at 28/30) and switch it around...I think it does gives better perspective on how to handle 'it' reliably for each individual racquet. It also helps with reflexes memory. Thus my transition to ARC ZS is a non-issue.

There are times too that I bring non YY racquets, like Mizuno TC700, RSL X3 Gold, Gosen Aermet 8900 blue and mixed it up. And after a while I tend to be able to adjust much quicker to the type of play each individual racquet has to offer.

Well, I say it a couple threads back, #1 for now is ARC ZS for all the power, pinpoint accuracy and speed it has to offer (again I must reiterate I seldom frame the shuttles) but my NS9900 is really tough to beat in terms of maneurability, speed and punch. So, it goes at # 1.1

Having the extra oomph I got from ZS, I still stick to my points construction game rather than smash it all the way.

# 2 is definitely Mizuno TC700 for me.

I hope future Yonex racquets will be built around ARC ZS's head shape! So that we can chose: oval, ISO or ISOval!

#921 MetalOrange, Oct 10, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  2. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Woot! My JP yahoo!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. adonis

adonis Regular Member

DC Badminton Panda Power Australian Distributor, S
    nice one, how much did you get it for and where?

btw, does anyone know how come badmintonshoponline.us is able to sell the arc saber Z at a cheaper price compared to the arc 10, AT900 and NS9900?

i can't understand it. what version rackets do they sell?

4. fwchiang

fwchiang Regular Member

student
    i just bought my z slash, what i can say about this racket is that the racket frame design is totally box design. the racket speed is not that fast compare to ns 9900. i can't really smash it hard but overall it is still a very powerful racket. it is really good for lobbing. great control !
    -fw-

5. Voldemont

Voldemont Regular Member

I just bought and use the Z for 1 session.
    My comments on the new toy:

It is a moderate slightly head heavy racket, good manuverability, and good power. The head is smaller than normal ISO rackets. It is very similar to an Oval racket. The closest head shape comparison is Dunlop Aerogel line. Shaft is moderate stiffness. Solid racket.

Arc Z (3U), string BG85 @26lbs, 1 Yonex Supergrap over original grip.

During warmup, I mishit many times as I was still adjusting to the stiffness and balance point. The small head does not help either. However, whenever I hit right on the sweetspot, the power is there.

During playing, I tried not to think about the racket and just play. It does help a lot. I love smashing using this racket, when I get the right timing and hit center, smashes are deadly. On the other hand, I am surprisingly love the defense, the Z feels light on hand. Returns is not as good as NS 9900 but close in terms of reaction speed. But the small head reduces returns effectiveness on defence.

Comparison, ArcZ, Arc10 and NS9900:

Power : ArcZ = Arc10 > NS9900
    Defence : NS9900 > ArcZ > Arc10
    Manuverability : NS9900 > ArcZ > Arc10

Overall, the Z is similar to Arc10 but feels lighter (due to lower BP). Power is somewhat similar. On defence, the Z is no slouch either, comparable to the NS series. One just need to get used to the new shape of the head, then ArcZ is close to an excellent racket IMO.

Just my 2 cents :D

6. jebatdurhaka

jebatdurhaka Regular Member

Voldemont,
    most of the reviews so far .. mentioned about lacking a little of defense compare to arc10, and should be higher BP than arc10 (according to yonex chart) .. yours is different ..

now i have the tendency to buy new racket. I have both arc10 and ns9900. I love them both .. BUT i just can't smash hard enuff with ns9900 .. I would let it go for the right price ..

hence I'm thinking to buy another arc10 .. BUT i'm not a pro .. so it's no harm to have slight variation ..

I'm looking for a racket for both single&double. I'm a control player who want to improve my smash .. i have 3 rackets in mind .. N50, arc-Z and N55. so far i'm looking towards N50 .. since I read few reviews talking about arc-Z is a bit more head heavy compare to arc10, and is lacking in the defense department ..

any comments? in summary .. i'm looking for arc10 with bigger smash, but not lacking in defense ..

:(

7. Voldemont

Voldemont Regular Member

jebatdurhaka, I also have read the reviews before mine.

In my opinion after 1 session yesterday, I feel that the Z is easier to manouver on defence than Arc10. But also remember that Z has smaller head than Arc10. Perhaps because of this reason, the other reviews think Z lacks in defence. For me, personally, in comparison to Arc10, the Z is better in defence. I feel faster with the Z.

In terms of BP, the Z measures at 293mm with no string, original grip in Yonex plastic wrap. I did not measure my Arc10 BP since mine is already strung and using overgrip. But by swinging the racket I feel that Arc10 is head heavier.

Also on the stiffness, eventhough Yonex says Z is stiff, I think it is moderate stiff at best. Arc10 is stiffer for sure.

If you want to buy the Z, I suggest you demo it first as it is a different racket due to the head shape. I know many dissapointed with the head shape and resell. :)

8. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    I still have doubts about the Arc-ZS....Especially after Taufik's comment on it and what he did in Japan Open.... And why didn't LCW did a brief review on it as well? He did use it the whole tournament and lost.....

Also, I did get to get a hand-on feel of the racquet, just holding the racquet, not playing it since none of my friend has yet to get a Arc-ZS....because they feel the color is too pimp-py....Haha~ :D:D

9. Enig.Ma

Enig.Ma Regular Member

Gemcat, where did you read/hear Taufik's comment on it, and could you tell me what he said? Thanks!

10. teka85

teka85 Regular Member

11. dairyboichau

dairyboichau Regular Member

So finally got around 3 sessions with my arc z slash and here's my input on it. All the rackets I name on here is 3u g4 with one overgrip on it with strings ranging from bg80 on nano9900, microlegend on arc10 and arc zs and nbg95 on at900t

Coming from a nanospeed 9900, it did feel a bit heavier. But I really liked the fact that it has a slightly head heavy feel and I'm starting to think that lighter rackets are not for me as I seem to perform a lot better with at at-900t.

During warmup, clears were effortless and drives were fairly easy and precise. As others have said, this racket is a smashing beast and you definately feel the difference when you hit that sweet spot.

In game time, I notice framing it for the first game or so but you slowly start to adjust to it as your forget about the shape of the head and just play with it. The touch of the racket definately need a bit more practice as I'm finding it hard to get drops just over the net compared to the at900t and the nano9900. But moving around the court with it does not seem sluggish to me and defensively I do not find much problem and am able to clear it to the corners with ease.

I had a modded arc10 prior to the nano9900 and I must say that I like the zs much more. The racket feels a lot easier to use and oddly I felt really tired when I used the arc10 (and may be due to modding it but even before the mod i had the same feeling).

But for sure this racket is a keeper n

12. roy b

roy b Regular Member

13. albertc

albertc Regular Member

Hi MetalOrange,

Thanks a lot for your sharing. I will try to see what is now my optimal tension.

Cheers:)

14. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

I am not so sure about what he said. IF you watch the two games he played during Japan open, the semi final against Simon, and final against Bao Chunlai, you will see that he only used the Arc Z for the first few points in the first game. he then switched to his old Arc 10. either way, he didn't use the Arc Z for the whole match.

Maybe that's why he said in the above link: "with more practice and game play, I know the Arc Z will improve my game, giving me a greater advantage over my oponents".

15. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Regular Member

Bum
    The Z comes ALIVE!

I now have about 12 hours on my ZS so here is my updated review.

Essentially I found out where I was going wrong with this racket. I was being too passive, and it took a couple of games of singles to blow the cobwebs out and get in tune with the racket.

All I really did to turn this thing from zero to hero, is play more wristy, and more importantly play more aggressively. The Z isn't a very forgiving racket, so if you try to be too clever or passive, it'll bite you. But the reward is some serious power shots and speed around the court.

Generally I was just surprised last night. It all came together, and coupled with those eye popping aesthetics, I have to say this is my number one racket now.

Moral of the tale? Stop thinking, go hard, and play the %$#& outta it!

:)

16. adonis

adonis Regular Member

DC Badminton Panda Power Australian Distributor, S

yo mate, good to hear! im on the way there haha!
    did you change your string? what tension?

17. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Regular Member

Bum
    Nope, I just kept with the BG80 at 24lbs. I just went in harder, a bit more purposeful and aggressive. As soon as you slack off or get lazy things turn to crap. It's not like an AT900T where you can just stick it out there and the shuttle comes back, but for a 105g racket it packs a real punch and is very quick around the court. I'm getting to the shuttle just a split second sooner than I have been and that combined with some quick snappy wristy shots have brought it all together.

I still think the BG80 is maybe not the best string at 24lbs, because literally some shots just slid off the stingbed, but I think with higher than 'beginner' tensions the attack angle of the racket face is more crucial.

Guess I just have to wake up and stop dicking around lol

18. Eric Soon

Eric Soon Regular Member

Sales Executive
    Bro,
    Thanks for sharing. Wonder if the weight of 105g is suitable for doubles play? Can feel that this ZS packs power.

19. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    If fact ARCZ i would say is a most stable racket so far in Yonex's Lineup. Many are not accustomed to it because probably due to the sweetspot as many of us is used to play in a conventional isometric frame.

Just relax and enjoy it.. once you get the hang of it.. you wouldn't want to let go...hmmmm unless something better comes along. :p

20. HaoFung

HaoFung Regular Member

I slice a lot... so I assume that the smaller surface is not a really good thing? ^^