Bicep Pain Upon playing Badminton

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by VISHNUVARDHAN CH, May 15, 2019.

1. VISHNUVARDHAN CH

VISHNUVARDHAN CH New Member

I am Using badminton racquet with below specifications.

APACS Z-Series
    Grip : 4U-G2
    Wt: 86
    Flex : 8.5
    BCP:285
    L:672
    Strung : Yonex BG-65 with 28 LBS strength.

I will try to smash the shuttle, whenever it is possible (In a 21 point game i will get approx 10-13 chances to smash the shuttle). But, after playing two Games (Doubles) my bicep will start aching and will continue to ache if, I won't stop playing.

So, for a day in total, i can do 20 smashes approx and then my bicep starts aching. After that, it will be so tough to play even normal play, it will subside when I stop playing and will be back next day.

So, i want to know if there are some techniques to reduce it.

2. BThane

BThane Regular Member

Have you had bicep injuries before which are being aggravated by your movement? If not, I'd suspect that there's an issue with your technique, as the bicep should not be involved in the smash (except very slightly when cocking your arm back). Could you post a video of you doing the stroke in slow motion?

3. VISHNUVARDHAN CH

No...I don't have this problem earlier and no bicep injuries. Earlier I used a different racquet. I will try to post the video and will try using Yonex Nanoray Light 18i

4. VISHNUVARDHAN CH

I played today, changing to a new bat gave slight uncomfortableness in the wrist. But, with my bat and playing no shots at all didn't give me any problem. We have played around 7-8 games (Doubles) and i have smashed only 3 times (Just, for the sake of a point :D ). My Bicep is pretty good now at least i can say there is something wrong my smashing technique.

I haven't got a chance to record my smash... I will record and I will upload here.

5. Knörbel

Knörbel New Member

Hmm, I wonder how it is even possible to get biceps problems in sports like Badminton. The movement of a smash should not use the bizeps as much. It is more like a whiplash and the arm goes into full extension. That said, the triceps is the more stressed muscle in the upper arm area (if we only look at biceps/triceps).
    There is a possibility, that the rotation of you shoulder stresses the upper part of the biceps. This could result in pain that radiates from the bizeps into the front part of the shoulder (pectoralis major). Where does your pain sit or radiate?
    In my opinion this must be a technique problem. Are you a beginner, intermediate or pro?

It´s not easy to see, but look how relaxed the biceps of the pros is even under full power shots..

#5 Knörbel, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  6. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Since OP is from India and use a quite high tension, I suspect he plays with plastics right? It could be that you don't mean the biceps, you mean the root of the tendon/bursa/rotator cuff. IMO you shouldn't get pain when you smash frequently with right technique. I suspect you use a too high tension + wrong technique. These vibration can cause everywhere in the arm issues and shoulder issues.

7. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Go to a physio op (seriously) and check your technique instead of smashing away mindlessly for power and further injuries.