Singapore Badminton Scene

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Loh, Jul 2, 2012.

1. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

2. nizze

nizze Regular Member

Not to be a wet blanket but why would he want to come here to coach.

What will be the motivating factor? Based on current situation, the only motivator I can think of is probably an attractive renumeration package (if there's budget)

In terms of our players and coaching/training framework, frankly, I don't think there is much to shout about. Unless key interest is in trailblazing n pioneering changes. Even then success rate is uncertain.

In comparison, probably better off to stay in home country to develop players (if that's a main goal), where I think they have a potentially bigger talent pool compared to us.

Conversely, to be able to coach jpn national players and work alongside with PJB. IMO, the opportunity and experience itself is a big motivating factor liao...

My two cents worth

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

#742 nizze, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  3. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    I thot our Gov is promoting sports in SG?
    Always see a lot of Sports SG advert banner everyone, encouraging people to take up sports...bah blah blah....or are they killing off the sport.
    Eg Football - the Tampines Sports hub all look nice, but in actual fact it killed off the field and in that same stroke, football and athletics. I prefer the old stadium, have a track and a stadium there.....the new one is like a commercial center - all in the name of business!

Schooling is actually a very good example - and I really respect his parents...willing to sacrifice for the sake of the nation and Schooling. My utmost respect for them, not easy forking out your own money for their son to reach his dreams and it's in millions.
    if they had a few more kids, it's goona be a tough decision.
    Again - all the news about Schooling, really paint a bad picture of the Swimming Association and the Sports Council - what have they done to help Schooling and somemore take his 20%!! No wonder, we don't see Schooling pictured with any Swimming association people...that's what I noticed. As a parents, wouldn't you be pissed!

4. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
  5. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    According to the news, he has been with the association for 15 years - that's why he wants a change.
    Japan got a good catch.....and I am sure, they are working on the 2020 to build up their doubles...right move Japan.

nizze likes this.
  6. nizze

nizze Regular Member

Lol! Quite true, always thought Tampines Hub was the 4th mall in Tampines Central area ( looking from the outside). Did not realise there is a stadium beside it untill I was traveling past and saw a football field through the gates.

Never thought of it as a exercise place...more of a makan place instead

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

7. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

Well... depending on his ambitions, he could be another Park Joo Bong for us. But that's thinking way too far. I think comparing Japan's situation and our situation, we are in a much worse shape than when Park took over and to expect Japan's results will be quite impossible.

But if we dare to dream, it might be achievable. We've gotten an Olympic gold, so, why not?

OK... that's too nonsensical.

spidey likes this.
  8. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

I think our government is promoting sports as a way of healthy lifestyle, a hobby, etc, but not as a professional career you can consider. In that particular area, I thought it would be helpful.

Schooling and his parents are really Singapore's heroes - doing something that not many or anyone would want to do and willingly shared the 20% (if I remember correctly). I think it's natural if he doesn't want to be associated with the association because they didn't help him much. Well, now the association has a $200K windfall. Hopefully they make good use of the windfall and develop our young talents and not waste it as Schooling preferred.

9. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    yup and thank you very much for the $200k wind fall.....yes it feels good, but the reputation goes down the drain...who in the world would trust the Association, and nowadays, it seems the moment we bring up the respective sports association, mentioning their names would just make people spit. Puiiiiiiii...
    Football - just read the news there are exodus of players...the game is dead in SG.
    Athletics - Soh's controversy and was asked to put a lid on it. Man, if you have not done anything wrong, what is there to be afraid of?
    Badminton - we don't want to go there, do we?
    Track and Field - guess is related to Soh's case and I don't see any news other than Shanti..our 4x100, and 4x400, the quartet also slowly scaling down...
    Swimming - a few bright sparks....but we need to nurture them carefully and not let the association screw things up.
    Table Tennis - and mess that don't need mentioning....

Looks like almost every sports in SG is a mess...we really don't have the funds? I thot we have a huge sports hub and fantastic facilities...but the software are not up to mark. Akin to fantastic hardware....but the OS cannot keep pace with the hardware, finally the whole hardware and software breakdown and collapse onto itself, or exploded, like Note 7!

touch on the Gov of the day....will the people see all these screw ups are from the current Gov policies? Will it cause any lost of votes in the next GE?

10. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    Yes, it is now a makan place and I just heard from my colleagues there is a party there tomorrow.....mooncake party, you wanna eat there can go.
    I think more of a money spinning place for the Gov. Land is free, and now can collect rentals until the next millennia..sports is secondary already.....no.1 priority is $$

nizze likes this.
  11. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    I just read the news on sailing- again 2 aspiring sailers want to give it a go at the 2020 oylimpics and have turned to crowdfunding to support their dreams....
    What's happening to the sports association of spore??

12. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

yeah, i think promoting sports as a healthy lifestyle is the only way forward for this country. sports professionalism is not going to work here, less you are really talented and your family can afford it.

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/new-sports-fund-shot-arm-national-athletes

New sports fund a shot in the arm for national athletes

Tuesday (Oct 3).

"...Under the initiative, elite athletes could get a S$100 million boost in funding, with the Government to match donations of up to S$50 million from Singaporeans and corporate firms from 2017 to 2022.

The money will go toward the High Performance Sports (HPS) system for national athletes, which includes competition opportunities, coach development, sports science and medicine, and more. National sports associations (NSAs) will also be able to apply for matching grants for donations they receive through this fund..."

Master likes this.
  14. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

funds given but who knows how it is spend. will there be a lot of red tapes for grant requests, aka the various govt assistance schemes to help the poor and needy?

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    One has to be more positive in order to achieve success, big or small.

At least there will be more money for the committed athlete.

And red tapes doesn't mean it is difficult to get the funding. It also means there is a system to follow in order not to abuse. It could also mean those most deserving should get the assistance earlier.

#755 Loh, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    Master likes this.
  16. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    Well, I am sure(I hope) there are process and procedure to follow for the grant to be drawn down by the respective Association, but just how much is allocated to Badminton? What is meant by High Performance Sports? that's another question....maybe not even in the list.
    I don't know, but reading all these news better take it with a pinch of salt.
    And what's the condition? Funds allocated for the next 5 years usage, but if SBA accounts is already in the red of -ve say....-$5mio, the drawdown of the funds would be to cover this hole. So in the end, where got funds to use for development.
    I would say they need to review and evaluate their current status, and then look at the availability of funds, insufficient, then they need to put in a special request to cover the shortfall. From there, clear off all the old debt and managed the future funds carefully and transparently. in corporate terms - this is akin to "recapitalization"....
    so anyone know what's the current status of SBA?....Are we in positive cashflow or negative? How big is the "hole" to cover?

17. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    i just read from somewhere that all the top guys holding the top post in the sports association are all G appointed people - they consist of former G servants from the Army and GLC......no wonder no news about the associations! All screwed up and the bad news all blocked from surfacing, swept under the carpet.....I think SG is better than this ba....this is not the SG I know...sad indeed!

18. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

spidey, not surprise to hear that. else where can the generals go, as they need to vacate their seats for graduating scholars.

19. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    But the county should be installing someone who can do the job! Not someone who know nuts about the sport and for the sake of filling up the position with the own pple and screwing up the future of our sportsman!!
    We will soon go to the dogs if we continue along this path in our sports excellence.
    Really, the more I read, the more I hv no respect for these people in the association. They don't deserve to be there if they know nuts of about the sports.....I just wonder if the TOP people in SBA knows how to hold a racquet correctly or how to hit a shuttle?

20. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

hope things will turn for the better as there are a couple of good young players like yeo jia min.