A new form of badminton "Tai Chi badminton"

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by footimy, Aug 10, 2008.

1. tekken

tekken New Member

This thread does not belong to technique discussion, thus it belongs to the joke section.

Try playing badminton using Tai Chi speed and pace against anyone, and even a ten year old kid with some training will kick your butt.:eek:

Dude, you are a disgrace to Malaysian.:mad: Don't you dare use our hero LCW as an example of your dumb theory any more.:mad:

2. footimy

footimy Regular Member

badminto coach
    Well, when the Wright brother said human can fly everyone said they were crazy. Hey why don you check my profile. My favorite player is not LCW, is LIN DAN! When I use LCW one or two shot as an example doesn't mean he is my hero.

3. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    You know what guys, you shouldn't make fun of Footimy and his beliefs, because that's what works best for him, and we should respect that.

He's trying to share what makes him play better, and we should all pay attention, maybe question why or reason, but definately not make fun of it.

4. footimy

footimy Regular Member

badminto coach
    It's ok if you can't see it, because to understand it you have to feel it yourself. It is a new concept I bring it out to everyone, my intention starting this thread is so that hopefully people can understand that there are so many ways so beat opponent.

5. footimy

footimy Regular Member

badminto coach
    Tai Chi is not a metaphor, it's a concept.:cool:

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    We may disagree with each other. This is much, much better than agreeing with each other on everything-a dead end. There should be enough room for unusual ideas like Footimy's.

7. anrief00

anrief00 New Member

university student
    WOW!!!great concept...master footimy please accept me as ur student....

8. jerby

jerby Regular Member

No no, you misunderstood me.

It's not that I don't understand your "concept".
    It's not that I didn't see those shots (which are indeed used quite a lot)
    It's not that I don't get the idea of changing pace.

It's just that I think your theory is a stretch of the imagination, and you are hellbent on calling every good shot, and every tactically well-played rally "Tai Chi". So far, you've not presented anything novel, I'm sorry to say it...

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes; and there should be enough room for people to criticise those ideas too. Freedom of speech cuts both ways. :p

I have to agree with jerby here. Footimy seems hellbent on presenting familiar and simple ideas under the grandiloquent guise of martial arts spiritualism.

More annoyingly, he's adopted the patronising "It's okay if you can't understand my advanced concept" approach. I get it. Really, I do. I just don't find it enlightening, because I already understand the relevant badminton concepts and see little value in adding a layer of mysticism on top of them. :p

Nevertheless, I do feel that comparisons with other disciplines can be interesting. Tai Chi could be a fruitful metaphor for badminton. Unfortunately, that's a discussion that footimy seems unwilling to enter: he doesn't want to make connections with existing ideas; he wants his theory to be the One True Way. ;)

And that's what irritates me -- the sheer audacity of his claims. He's not just saying, "it's interesting to compare badminton with Tai Chi"; he's saying, "I have discovered this amazing new way of playing badminton. An entirely new concept."

Well, excuse me for being cynical; but there's nothing new under the sun. ;) Your "new concept" is simply a fancy-pants interpretation of ordinary badminton ideas.

#69 Gollum, Aug 19, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  10. YinLoung

YinLoung Regular Member

New form of badminton

Chris Badminton - By praying, Chris will benedict you with divine power and will pwn anyone.....

=. =

11. saifii

saifii Regular Member

yeah. its "my playing style is better than yours,so COPY ME". you still haven't shared any footage of this amazing new style of yours with us and shown how exact;y is it different from normal deception used in all sports.
    P.S Lin Dan bamboozled LCW, thats what he did. he had no idea where Dan was going with the game. Anyway it was hometurf and the Chinese nation couldnt have ALLOWED him to lose

12. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Oh gosh, LCW didn't win gold, is he a disgrace ? :(
    I've heard so many Malaysian people say that another Malaysian person is a disgrace to Malaysians... :eek:

So anyway, what's the conclusion? Don't let our opponents read our pattern ? We must vary our shots to gain the advantage ?

13. footimy

footimy Regular Member

badminto coach
    Versatile Footwork - the tai chi style

There are two kind of footwork

1. Floating footwork

Most people are using this kind of footwork, they jumping and springing on the court when defense and offense. This footwork is good only if your are in offensive mode but the problem with this footwork is it takes a lot amount of energy and athletic ability to execute. Typically players with this kind of footwork are lack of defensive ability, and they mostly will likely lost stability in game.

2. Stick to the ground footwork

People with defensive mode usually use this footwork in play, usually player is "walking" and stick they foot as low to the ground as possible to maintain the stability and control, and typically, players with this kind of footwork are lack of offensive force.

Player who are better at one type of footwork will most likely not doing good in other type.

So, to versatile our footwork mix this two footwork in the game in order we can play offensive and defensive in the same time, we need to combine this two footwork together, this concept is easy to understand but believe me it take a lot of training and muscle control.

Mixing this 2 footwork will able us to make an explosive offense and in the same time maintain stability and control. The scenario is like this: 2,2,2,2,1,2,2,1. Defend,rally,defend,rally,explosive attack, defend,defend, and explosive attack!

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

This makes sense and is in fact what most of us do. The switch from one footwork mode into another cannot, however, be fixed, but is game-dependent and the actual situation during play.
    BTW, have you seen Han Jian's footwork?

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Footimy's choice of words may not be everyone's cup of tea but it is not really comparable to what you are implying.
    After all, he is the current mens singles runner-up in the 2007 Chinese World Badminton Championships that included some ex-national and ex-Thomas Cup players of Chinese descent from all over the world. He has also played against Tommy Sugiarto, a rising Indonesian star.
    Let us hear him out and then either agree, disagree, and even dispute what he has to say. I am still listening!

16. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Oh how nice, the explanations of the how-to's are finally here. They do make sense to me as well. So, would Chen Hong be an example of a player using the Floating footwork?

17. saifii

saifii Regular Member

yeah floating footwork and quick witted STRATEGY is the real name of the game

18. DaveC

DaveC Regular Member

IT manager, Lifetime Badminton Player
    That's "Motor Skillsl".

Infomation:
    "Motor skills" is when the player learn movement patterns that can be produced automatically without having to ‘think about them’ (automatic processing).

A learnt movement pattern is a motor skill. To acquire a new skill or modify (improve) a pre-existing skill the brain has to go through two stages:

1. players have to process new information consciously. (controlled processing)

2. after a time these new skills then imprint new or modified actions into the automatic regions of the brain
    The actions will then become automatic and do not require conscious thought to execute and can be regarded as an automatically processed skill.

The brain has a limited capacity to perform controlled processing which in turn limits the first stage of skill acquisition. The controlled processing load on a player can be described as the number of variables and decisions that they have to take into account.

19. viver

viver Regular Member

How do you mix the 'Floating footwork' and 'Stick to the ground footwork'? In other words, can you 'float' and 'stick to the ground' when moving around the court with your style of footwork?

20. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Simple! Wear a pair of magnetic boots. The court is magnetized in the opposite field of the boots. There, floating and sticking footwork :D:p.

Ohhhh, the direction and movement of the player is controlled remotely.