2023 TotalEnergies BWF WORLD Championships : R/64-FINAL (21-27 August)

Discussion in '2023 Tournaments' started by Baddyforall, Aug 19, 2023.

1. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

[​IMG]

DRAW :https://bwf.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/draws.aspx?id=f4169af2-1ee8-4976-96ce-8d24e664bcfd

Result/Daily Schedule/LiveScore :https://bwfworldchampionships.bwfba...energies-bwf-world-championships-2023/draw/wd

Denmark Time :https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/denmark/copenhagen

2022 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    --------------------------------------

MS: Viktor Axelson

WS: Akane Yamaguchi

MD: Aaron Chia/Soh wooi yik

WD: Chen QingChen/Jia Yifan

XD: Zheng Siwei/Huang yuqiong

XXVIII edition ~ Copenhagen Denmark!

VIKTOR's Dominance!
    ---------------------------------

In MS, apart from Viktor, i would say, there would be cat fight for the second spot in the finals among all other players. Anybody can beat anybody on their best day. But Viktor will face stiff competition from Frenchman Christo popov in the second round and may get poosible meetup against Indian leading man Prannoy/Singapore Darling Loh Kean Yew in the Quarterfinals which could be a tough matchup for him. Since Second seed Anthony Ginting withdrew from the Championships (Due to his mother's sudden demise),his opponent from Ukraine Danylo bosniuk progressed to next round. Lakshya sen,Kunlavut ,Li shifeng,Kodai Naroaka -these 4 may spoil the party of Viktor . Malaysians Lee Ji Zia and Ng tze yong are placed in the same quarter with Anders Antonsen and Indonesian Darling Jonathan Christie. Tough for these 4 players. Ageless Kevin Cordon might have a chance to steal one or two victories since his first round opponent Chou Tien Chen is not in a good form.

ERA OF AN SE Young!
    --------------------------------

Title contenders this time is one among the Strong three . Order may vary but these three Akane Yamaguchi, An Se Young, Chen Yufei . While others may try to better their performances in this year . Sindhu,Ratchanok,Beiwen Zhang,He Bingjiao are some the notable players who may dote on their experiences to spoil the party. An Se Young stands out from rest of the players ,she is the player to beat.

GUINNESS GUY's FIRST!
    --------------------------------

MD department has got tremendous improvement in recent times with Satwik Chirag, Lee yang/Wang Chilin, Wang Chang/Liang weikeng ,these 3 stand out from others. After string of good performances from Satwik/CHirag, all eyes were on them this year. So many other good pair may spring surprise in this unpredictable department. Quite Exciting to follow this Department .

KOREAN RESURGENCE MAY SPOIL CHINESE DREAM!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IN WD, Chen QIngChen/Jia Yifan is ahead of every other pair in the run for title. Koreans Lee So Hee/Baek Ha na could prove me wrong . Japan has 4 pairs which may try to bring back japanese dominance in this category. In this category, the disparity is huge between Top 4 and rest of the world.

CHINESE DOMINACE
    ----------------------------------

Zheng Siwei/Huang Yaqiong is definitely favourites of this category. If any surprises does not happen, we may see Yuta/Higashino meeting Top seeds in the finals. But Japanese inconsistencies may favour any other pair in the bottom to reach the finals. It is interesting to see how Thai pair Sapsiree/Decaphol will perform in this Championships

#1 Baddyforall, Aug 19, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2023
    browning, mohans, stanleyfm and 3 others like this.
  2. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    i agree w/ your top 3 for the most part. for yamaguchi or chen yu fei to win they have to grind all opponents into the ground.

however, i see tty & carolina having the best chance to spoil an se young's coronation.
    • tty because, well, she's tty... the best all around skills from both sides (forehand/backhand) and if she's on, she's ON.
    • carolina because she's the ultimate big game player in a wc setting. there's a lot to be said for turning on the 'kill mode' switch. pay attention to that look in her eyes.
    the other 4 you mentioned don't have any tangible surprises or skills in their game to put them over the top. none have that single aspect in their game where you'd say "oh, her <insert skill here> is better than everyone else's."

KB@TB Em, stanleyfm and Baddyforall like this.
  3. Baddyforall

How I forgot TTY and Marin?. Even though they are not currently good in form, they both have their own charisma and skill sets. One is delicate and deceptive, while other is powerful and lightening. So, we cant neglect them . It will be interesting to see how they perform.

4. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

This will be best world championship for India. Mens doubles gold medal is guarantied as rankireddy/chirag pair is the current best pair in the world. Lakshaya sen has the chane to win. Also sindu has the chane.

5. Arisuin

Arisuin Regular Member

I don't think that MD is guaranteed for them. Are the chances very high? Yes. But not guaranteed. MD has been one of them disciplines where the variation has been greatest.

I don't see Sen getting past VA. His most likely opponents before VA are Vitidsarn and LSF. It's hard to imagine them not putting up a good enough of a fight such that if Sen does win he isn't tired against VA. He has been in great form lately but it's hard to see him winning over the titan that is VA.

Seriously doubt PVS ability to beat ASY and CYF, that is, if she gets past Ratchanok first. Her last win was Malaysia Masters in 2022 where she didn't play ASY, AY, TTY, or CYF. She has not won against them a single time this year.

My predictions are:
    MS: Viktor Axelson

WS: An Se Young based on her and AY's form leading up to worlds, although as a fan I would hope that AY wins it

MD: Rankireddy/Shetty since they seem to have the best form at the moment, but I would not be surprised if any other top pair takes it

WD: CQC/JYF with only a couple of pairs defeating them on occasion. If it's not them winning, I think a Korean pair is likely as Japan's WD is a bit weak.

XD: ZSW/HYQ but any of the top 4 can do it. Being the biased fan that I am, I believe Watagashi pair can do it, after their performance at Japan Open

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Baddie lover likes this.
  6. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

Is LZJ/JC the big match today? Any other interesting first round matches?

7. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    This match is not on tv court.

8. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

Really? Geez, who determines which match gets aired on tv!?

9. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    I checked.
    Only court 1 is tv court.
    Hopefully other courts are not geoblocked and we get to wact court 2.

10. magnumcyclonex

magnumcyclonex Regular Member

Is it me or does Goh Jin Wei perform a super quick serve all the time, sometimes when her opponent Vivien isn't ready?

11. Vestige117

Vestige117 Regular Member

Always has been since 2021 if I recall. Probably has to do with wanting to deal with fitness issue (having shorter match time).

12. Baddyforall

Wow.Tine baun is coaching Gilmour. Nice to see her.

13. 80plus

80plus Regular Member

Yes... Remembering... She denied Saina(India) to win AE (in WS) in her last match... After final point, went to gallery ....

14. 80plus

80plus Regular Member

Kalle K (MS) is tricky for all (particularly for IND-MS youngsters ) !.. Can HSP overcome him?

15. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

Must be because of their old relation (link).
    Tine is there as a commentator on Danish TV.

16. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

rat (thai)*

17. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    What is Milk Life on court 2?

18. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    The shuttle looks slow.

19. Habisin-Habisin

Habisin-Habisin Regular Member

dejan/gloria's sponsor

nokh88 likes this.
  20. Justanotherfan

Justanotherfan New Member

Will be rooting for Greg and Jenny Mairs aka Badminton Insight. Hope they’ll have a good run at this championship.

d_tao and rakenrol like this.