Advanced beginner racket recommendation

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by framed, Jul 6, 2018.

1. framed

framed New Member

Hi, I would be grateful to get some racket recommendations. I have been reading this forum and other websites but the more I read the more unsure I am which racket to go for!
    I haven't come across a website where you can search for a racket and filter by spec such as flex, balance, weight etc. the options seem to be only by price, brand.

Anyway some details and requirements.
    • I'm an advanced beginner.
    • I'm playing mixed doubles about 1-2 per week.
    • I will be taking some lessons from September.
    • My Club has indicated I might be asked to play some ladies doubles competition come September.
    • I'm currently using a borrowed racket (a friends old spare one) til I get my own.
    • I've noted this borrowed racket is an extrastiff, 285+/- 5mm Balance, weight 85+3g (brand is not one I've come across)
    • I do find it difficult to clear the shuttle a decent length, even though I'm physically strong.
      tension and strings I think should help here too.
    • Also in fast rallies I find that I dont make the connection (sweet spot) with the shuttle that I was in a position to do so, perhaps slow swing (I do realise that practice/technique and coaching is as important here too)
    Ideal racket requirements
    • well balanced with maybe a very slight tip towards head heavy
    • fast swing
    • required mostly for mixed and female doubles
    • Ability to give a decent shuttle clearance and defend when required - I suppose an all-rounder
    • budget in around €100 / 100 GBP
    • Open to string suggestions
    • from my readings on this site the Arcsaber 7 looked like a good spec, though I don't see them for sale and probably above budget? RKEP PRO 6000 I read as an alternative too?
    • Any other suggestions?
      Thanks in Advance

Lee Haji Wahid likes this.
  2. BadmiCat

BadmiCat Regular Member

3. framed

framed New Member

thanks BadmiCat.
    would you recommend this over a rkep xp70?

4. BadmiCat

BadmiCat Regular Member

Well, I recommend BS12 3U always :D
    This is a brilliant racket, fastest on the market which suites everyone. You cannot be wrong with it and if something goes wrong (what I doubt) you can always sell it without any problems. The price will only rise with every year.

#4 BadmiCat, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  5. Jx_G

Jx_G Regular Member

I also think BS12 is the best choice. But I recommend 4U version if you majorly at front court in double, it is extremely quick. I play 3U BS11 in single, it quite funny that sometimes I lend my racket to some good player and they missed the shutter like a first-time player as the speed of BS series is far beyond normal.

6. nopokecheck3

nopokecheck3 Regular Member

I'd personally recommend the JS10 4U. Victor labelled it as head light, but the bp is more even-balance than anything. Since you're looking for a fast racket, I'll have you know the JS10 in 4U is the fastest racket right now, defence and drives are effortless, I'd argue the frame may even be too fast for you, and you'll end up mistiming a lot at the beginning.

If you want more head heavy you could go for the 3U version, but that'd take away its best feature, speed. It is a fairly stiff racket so you'd have to adapt to it if you're not used to stiff racket, but imo, this is one of it's pros, as it gives enhanced control. The other con would be the the compact head, but this isn't a deal breaker if you have good technique and can hit the sweet spot every time. I personally find lift (I've heard some people on hear have trouble with this due to stiff shaft), drop, clear, drive all to be easy, only difficulty is smash on the baseline (3U would help here), but from midcourt on forward (where the shuttle is played most of the time in doubles) you should have plenty of power.

Lastly I'd recommend you to go with BG80, I find it goes very hand in hand with the JS10, further enhancing control, while still providing sufficient power. Great durability as well.

#6 nopokecheck3, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  7. BadmiCat

BadmiCat Regular Member

JS10 is really stiff

8. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Another vote for BS12 over JS10. OP clearly states she struggles to clear with her current extra-stiff so what makes anyone else think JS10 will suddenly help the cause given it is also an extra-stiff shaft?

I'd actually be quite happy to suggest the Lethal range from Apacs that comes at dirt cheap prices. Lethal 8/9/10. It's a bravesword copy but the rackets are very flexible in terms of shaft stiffness. You may get more out of it.

Regardless, BS12 is a phenomenal choice granted you don't clash your racket.

Dezlets and llrr like this.
  9. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Third BS12 (3U)

10. konstancij

konstancij Regular Member

my only 5c are, you dont have to limit yourself to 100 eur, and by that saving cost of 1 shuttlecock tube you limiting yourself from getting top end racket. whatsthe point? all second line rackets use compromises to achieve lower price

11. Dezlets

Dezlets Regular Member

Actually if let’s say we compare a 4u bs12 and a 3u bs12.

Would it be better to get 4u so u have faster swing and in term get faster smashes then compared to

3u where u have a slower smash but heavier smashes?

12. BadmiCat

BadmiCat Regular Member

For some magic reason 3U is not slower and way better than 4U :rolleyes:

13. Dezlets

Dezlets Regular Member

huh?

idk but it definetly feel the swing is slower for me?

isit because of my arms or?

14. BadmiCat

BadmiCat Regular Member

I think the secret of popularity of BS12 3U is perfect balance. Somehow, they found the golden ratio in all important qualities and even slightly changes in any direction affects the whole performance of the racket and the magic of perfect balance disappears.
    So, I cannot deny basic physics, the lighter the racket the faster it is, but it does not the racket better.

15. Dezlets

Dezlets Regular Member

So as compared to other 3u balance racket from yonex. Bs12 still better?

16. BadmiCat

BadmiCat Regular Member

Hm... About physics.
    The main difference of BS12 3U and BS12 4U is the size of the handle (G3 and G5).

If we make it smaller, the balance of the racket is changing to more head heavy. This can affect the speed of the swing even though the racket become lighter in general.

Here is one example:
    [​IMG]
    It is easy to move fast the other side of the swing just pressing a little bit because the swing is well balanced.

But if you change the balance and cut off a piece from one side and make the swing lighter in general but it will be more difficult to move it and the whole contraction becomes slower.

#16 BadmiCat, Jul 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  17. konstancij

konstancij Regular Member

gave a look at victorsports for your current top choice and it looks like brave sword 12 is no longer offered by victor. is that true?

18. BadmiCat

BadmiCat Regular Member

Unfortunately, yes.:(

19. Dezlets

Dezlets Regular Member

what serious??

in my area i keep seeing people selling brand new BS12 but its all CN coded hence i tink its a risk to get them thou.

saw somewhere on the forum saying CN codes could be fakes

20. Lee Haji Wahid

Lee Haji Wahid New Member

Wowwwww. Real good discussion. Learning a lot here. Tqvm all .

As for myself, I’d recommend Voltric LD Force ( 4U) with Ultimax DG 66 string ( tension 25 lbs ) .