After AT800 Off.. now what?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Dudee, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Dudee

Dudee Regular Member

Hi Guys, I have been playing badminton for a over 3 years now, unluckily, my first racket AT800 Offensive broke last night. I'm not really a fan of updating badminton equipments that's why I need your expert opinion in this..

I can't find AT800 anymore in my area, all I see now are MP and NanoSpeed with 2U-3U and up to 28lbs. My AT800 before is 4U-G3, 18-24lbs and head heavy. Can anyone refer me to a racket which is similar/the same with AT800?

Btw, I know that 4U is lighter than 2U-3U but when I grip these new rackets, they felt lighter than my 4U At800? What's the meaning of 4U-G3?

2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

up to 28lbs? beware of fakes!

3. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    Normally, the recommendation for Yonex racquets are USUALLY 18lbs - 22/23lbs.. Check out, the Yonex website before buying any top-class racquets.

4. hybridragon

hybridragon Regular Member

Student
    4U describes the weight. 4U rackets are usually the lightest, 3U is a little heavier and 2U is the heaviest. Sometimes a 3U racket can feel lighter than a 4U racket because of the head-heavy/head-light/even balanceness of the racket itself. G3, I'm not entirely sure if I remember this correctly, but it describes Grip size. Not entirely sure.

As for finding rackets, try to find ones that strung within the manufacturer's requirements. If you're finding a racket to switch to, and you do find legitamite ones, avoid extremely head light rackets. You won't get used to them easily since AT800 OF is a head heavy racket.

5. Dudee

Dudee Regular Member

Thanks for all the replies.

What racket can you recommend to replace AT800?

Can you guide me to what rackets are head-heavy?

6. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i would say that the AT700 is a good shout then, definitely one of the most head heavy racquets i've used.
    i'm still trying to get used to my 4U AT700 for defense (it really sucks, but that could just be me).
    i still prefer the ti-10, which is considered pretty head heavy and the mp100, which i believe is classified as even balance although i don't personally believe it is.

7. hybridragon

Student
    Even Balanced rackets aren't too hard to get used to as well, so I'd say MP 99 or MP 100. MP99 is a decent all around racket, and MP100, from what I heard at least, is quite suitable for singles play and is slightly head heavyish. I would recommend AT700 3U, not 4U, but from what you say, it's not available in your area.

If you really don't mind getting used to a new racket and want a Nanospeed, I've heard good things about NS8000. It's evenbalance to head light. The main problem with switching to a different "balanced" racket is getting used to the change in timing your swings.

I have an AT800 OF myself and I've been using it for singles play for about 2 years now. I just hope it'll last me a long time. haha

8. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    The only Nanospeed version close to AT800OF would be NS 9000X imop.

I am still amazed why beginners (yes 3 years of badminton is still a beginner :) ) even remotely considers such stiff rackets as the AT800OF.. But my guess is that most of them string extremely loose (so racket stiffness doesn't become an issue for them). A far better choice is to have more flex and a bit tighter stringing!! (please don't jump into this thread cooldoob...)

What stringing did you use on the AT800OF ??

I would bet most reputable shops can get you an AT800 if they sell NS, MP:s, if you ask!

/Twobeer

9. Dudee

Dudee Regular Member

Hi, tension strung is 23. After fews months of playing, it gradually lowered.

I started with AT800OF before, because that time, AT800 is quite popular. Started with it 3 years ago and got use to it. I might get a Carlton racket instead because in our area, there are lot (60-80%) of yonex rackets are fake. I just have to check and try swinging before I will decide.

Just a Q, I prefer to string my racket at lower tension because it gives me better control and COMFORT when playing defense and net shot. I NEVER TRIED/ USED high tension rackets, will the defense and net shot be better with higher TENSION?

Thanks

10. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

This is outrageous. NS9k is nowhere near close to AT800OF. One is head light. The other is head heavy.

The man has been playing with the stiff racket for 3 years. How can you then tell him a stiff racket isn't right for him ? If you get your own string and tension sorted out, you may find the flex in the racket completely unnecessary.

To Dundee:
    The best replacement for AT800 is another of the same. If not try AT700/500/300. If not go for a head balanced racket, such as MP99, that requires less adjustment time than a head-light racket such as NS9k. Alternatively get a fake NS8k that could be adundant in your area. The fake ones are extra head heavy, and could well match your at800 in power.

11. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Your wish came true :D.

12. Ranmira

Ranmira Regular Member

EEE Student
    Dudee, it may be so that fake rackets are prevalent, but perhaps there are reputable shops/local distributors near your area? I don't think it would be difficult to ask them if the have Armortecs -- it's quite a popular line of rackets.

13. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    My fear came thru :D

14. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I think your observation that loosening the tension, is correct (more comfort), as the sweetspot will be larger. However Netplay is usually more precise with higher tension.

if stringing is loose, the stiffness of the shaft will not make that much difference imop. as the strings will "flex" more than the shaft. and the repulsion will come more from the string "bounce" than the whip of the carbon-shaft (if the shaft is stiff).

But instead of choosing a very stiff racket and loosen the strings for "comfort", another option is to go with a flexier shaft, and increase the tension a bit. In most cases I think this is beneficial for the beginner, as it gets better feedback on sweetspot hits and generally gives better control, netplay.. than choosing a too stiff racket..

The only reason to choose a stiffer racket imop, is if you feel control is getting lost from the flex (the flex is simply too much on smashes etc..then you should look for a stiffer racket..)

'Twobeer

15. Dudee

Dudee Regular Member

Hi Again, I have observed (pls correct me if I'm wrong), the higher the tension, the harder for me to return a drop from a drop, simply because I have to use some strength in returning a drop from a drop. Unlike with a lower tension, the shuttle has more bounce which helps itself in returning a drop from a drop. Is this correct?

In defense from a Smash, I love lower tension coz all I have to do is have my racket contact with the shuttle, and the shuttle bounces right off sweetly and lowly resulting in a drop result.

"for me, shuttles bounces more when come contact with lower tension than higher tension rackets. Pls again, correct me if i"m wrong"...

Guys, I have to apologize for my ignorance, when I first played badminton and bought my first and only At800 OFF, I was never aware about the stiffness of the rackets, the seller never brought up the topic. The point of sale that I listened was about the length of the rackets and String Tension Margins. Btw, I like AT800 OFF because of it's length also and head-heavy.

I have tried playing with my freind's RSL Lightweight Rackets (not head heavy) strung with 27 tension, I found my swing (Long/High Strokes) better, but my smashes are way to earlier and I couldn't get my Drop right (too short from the net). Is this a normal scene from a Head-Heavy Racket to a Light-Head Racket?

Dudee..

16. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    You definitely have finger and forearm strength issue. Why not concentrate on working out those area first?

17. hybridragon

Student
    Like I said, switching from head heavy to head light will cause timing problems. The swing speed on a head light racket is much faster than an head heavy racket so things like "your smashes are too early' would happen. That one is a timing issue.

As for tension, the higher the tension, I guess the higher propulsion from the strings for drops. You just have to get used to them. I personally find higher tension strung rackets easier to tumble drop for some reason. You should really just string at one tension, and don't change it everytime. Otherwise, you won't get used to your racket and produce consistent shots.

18. Dudee

Dudee Regular Member

How?

Btw, I seem to loose some power in smash with light racket than my previous head-heavy At800. Is this normal?

19. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    It is very normal i think..

Most beginners use more arm & body when smashing (and too litte wrist).

It usually feels much easier to use head heavier rackets of you have enough strength but cant get racketspeed up very fast with your wrist..

without knowning you and your play, techniqu,etc, I am just making some educated guesses. But your comments both about the headheaviniess in combination with your experience that you have problems returning drop shots with tighter strining, makes me guess you have a problem with how you use your wrist during the blocks and smashes..

Have you tried letting a pro, or trainer look at your shot tachnique and give you some pointers.

20. hybridragon

Student
    Most likely yes, because your timing is off. Usually it's easier to produce a heavy smash with a head heavy racket because the weight of the head coming down on it assists in adding power to the smash. For head light rackets, it ought to be similiar or same, but the timing is different because of the swing speed. The faster swing speed of the head light racket, should compensate for the lack of extra weight on the head.